Best albums of 2016 so far.....

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Best albums of 2016 so far.....

Post by Mini Forklift »

Takes some listening to but this is pretty good...

Simply baffling guitar/sax interplay, as usual from these guys :clap:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Pastasauce wrote: Guess the new job has been busier than I expected. :-) Also, we've got #4 on the way
So not that busy then.....
You can always find a spare 2 minutes...
Geez he's not got the stamina for 4 times surely???
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Pastasauce wrote:Thanks guys. Guess the new job has been busier than I expected. :-) Also, we've got #4 on the way (I know, I know) so that guitar has been gathering dust most weeks. Still check in here from time to time - just less time to post.
Hey there! You are keeping yourself busy! Kids are awesome. New job? Where are you now? (PM if it's a long story :) )
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Hey, I actually listened to an album from this year! I will put forward Anthrax - For All Kings. I am enjoying this album immensely, possible more than anything since Persistence Of Time.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote:Hey, I actually listened to an album from this year! I will put forward Anthrax - For All Kings. I am enjoying this album immensely, possible more than anything since Persistence Of Time.
Oh cool, I thought Worship Music was a pretty good attempt at them saying "hey, we're still here and still capable of writing a decent tune or two!", but didn't know about the new album.

I'll set a reminder on my phone to go listen to it in about 4 years time...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Seeing as we're on the topic of heavy/thrash metal, it's a couple of years old now but Bloodstone & Diamonds by Machine Head is well worth a listen. I was pleasantly surprised by it as I hadn't really heard anything of theirs for a good few years.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Seeing as we're on the topic of heavy/thrash metal, it's a couple of years old now but Bloodstone & Diamonds by Machine Head is well worth a listen. I was pleasantly surprised by it as I hadn't really heard anything of theirs for a good few years.
I bought that album after hearing a few people say it was a return to form, but I was still disappointed. It's not awful by any stretch, but nothing they've done since has ever captured the awesomeness of Burn My Eyes.

But keeping up with the old dinosaurs still cranking along, I've been very impressed with the output of Exodus. Although, oddly enough, I didn't think much of Rob Dukes on vocals, but now Steve Souza is back, I think I prefer Rob.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I gave that Inverloch a spin after seeing it recommended here and other places. I dug it, but had to turn it off after a while cos I felt like it was having a physical effect on my stomach. And not in a good way.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

KentNZ wrote:
Pastasauce wrote:Thanks guys. Guess the new job has been busier than I expected. :-) Also, we've got #4 on the way (I know, I know) so that guitar has been gathering dust most weeks. Still check in here from time to time - just less time to post.
Hey there! You are keeping yourself busy! Kids are awesome. New job? Where are you now? (PM if it's a long story :) )
Yeah they're good - this one was unexpected (we have a 1 year old so...), but we'll take it.

Kinda new job. Been living in Lower Hutt for last last year and a half.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Pastasauce wrote:
KentNZ wrote:
Yeah they're good - this one was unexpected (we have a 1 year old so...), but we'll take it.

Kinda new job. Been living in Lower Hutt for last last year and a half.
A man in your position needs a large brood; it's reassuring! Hope you're enjoying Welling Town. You're sure not missing much up here. :eh:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I'm trying to get into Moon Shaped Pool, I like the majority of it but it takes a couple songs to get going after Burn The Witch.

Pleasantly surprised by the new RHCP album. Chad Smith said they were made to write some songs on the spot for this album. That's where the Chilis shine no doubt. There's some really cool stuff in here and I think Josh is feeling more comfortable in the band.

The Killswitch Engage has been a good listen too. The singer seems a lot less whingy on this album.
Loving it so far

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Takes some listening to but this is pretty good...

Simply baffling guitar/sax interplay, as usual from these guys :clap:
that is a great album cover
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Pastasauce wrote:
Molly wrote:Lots of obscure, to me at least, stuff here. Where you finding it? Not on The Rock I'm guessing.

Re Killswitch Engage. I knew a guy back in the UK who I'm told went on to play guitar for them. Long since lost touch. Gather he's in academia now.
Spotify's discover weekly playlist has helped me find some good stuff. But I also read music sites like Stereogum and Pitchfork and tend to at least check out stuff from their lists.
Duh.... Turns out it was a band called 'Kill To This' not Killswitch Engage.... Sorry. :oops:

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Molly wrote:
Pastasauce wrote:
Molly wrote:Lots of obscure, to me at least, stuff here. Where you finding it? Not on The Rock I'm guessing.

Re Killswitch Engage. I knew a guy back in the UK who I'm told went on to play guitar for them. Long since lost touch. Gather he's in academia now.
Spotify's discover weekly playlist has helped me find some good stuff. But I also read music sites like Stereogum and Pitchfork and tend to at least check out stuff from their lists.
Duh.... Turns out it was a band called 'Kill To This' not Killswitch Engage.... Sorry. :oops:

LOL Dad
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Olderama wrote: LOL Dad
Where's me pipe an' slippers?