jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Praise & Worship

Post by jeremyb »

This is where the real money is!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Praise & Worship

Post by vintage52 »

Crikey.

So the guy at 5:57 is doing Solfeggio vocal tones....right?
Wellington

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

How did you come by this gem? Couldn't help but wonder what you were googling for...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

LOL was a youtube suggestion for me :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Wow
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:LOL was a youtube suggestion for me :)
Praise be YouTube!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

The road to auditing one is pretty good stuff !

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

People think scientologists are nuts, but to be fair it's just as likely to be right as any other religion.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:People think scientologists are nuts, but to be fair it's just as likely to be right as any other religion.
I think scientology is just so outlandish (vs traditional) that it opens itself to ridicule. On the outlandish front IMO it's a bit like traditional vintage or antique guitars vs the Parker Fly, or even Prince's outrages guitars. The latter ones can be just as good (or bad) as the former, but the bulk of the population are more used to the former.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

jeremyb wrote:People think scientologists are nuts, but to be fair it's just as likely to be right as any other religion.
Well. Not exactly just as likely, if you accept the chances of any religion being "right" are non-zero and the origins of many common religions are obscured in history (or pre-history) with millions of spiritual devotees who presumably do some spiritual searching and hopefully worked towards some glimpse of enlightenment, whilst Scientology's well documented as being the relatively modern creation of a single science fiction author for the purpose of not paying taxes.
Some might say that the theory which requires the least assumptions is most likely to be right, and it seems to me as though the pulp sci-fi thetan space war story is a bit further-fetched than the Jesus and Mary-chan and life being created by a benevolent entity thing or the idea that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration and we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote:
I think scientology is just so outlandish (vs traditional) that it opens itself to ridicule. On the outlandish front IMO it's a bit like traditional vintage or antique guitars vs the Parker Fly, or even Prince's outrages guitars. The latter ones can be just as good (or bad) as the former, but the bulk of the population are more used to the former.
Is it that outlandish though? of the 4000 odd deities through history they've all been supernatural in one way or another, I think aliens being responsible for life is no weirder... perhaps the normal gods would seem weird now if we believed in aliens first?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

mttn3 wrote:
Well. Not exactly just as likely, if you accept the chances of any religion being "right" are non-zero and the origins of many common religions are obscured in history (or pre-history) with millions of spiritual devotees who presumably do some spiritual searching and hopefully worked towards some glimpse of enlightenment, whilst Scientology's well documented as being the relatively modern creation of a single science fiction author for the purpose of not paying taxes.
Some might say that the theory which requires the least assumptions is most likely to be right, and it seems to me as though the pulp sci-fi thetan space war story is a bit further-fetched than the Jesus and Mary-chan and life being created by a benevolent entity thing or the idea that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration and we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.
I do wonder if people don't take it as seriously because it's so modern?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Is it that outlandish though? of the 4000 odd deities through history they've all been supernatural in one way or another, I think aliens being responsible for life is no weirder... perhaps the normal gods would seem weird now if we believed in aliens first?
jeremyb wrote: I do wonder if people don't take it as seriously because it's so modern?
"Outlandish" in terms of acceptability, much like your mention of "modern". Like my analogy of vintage vs modern guitars, humanity has had a lot more time to accept the older notions. Yes, they're all supernatural in one way or another. Just like guitars are all lumps/sheets of wood (for the most part) with strings, etc. I think even the word "alien" has a futuristic connotation that lends itself to a "modern" thing, nouveau religion. I can only think of Stargate at the moment, but I'm sure there were other works of fiction (presumably? :winky: ) where ancient gods were depicted as aliens. Interesting nobody has done this for contemporary religions though, they'll probably be unpopular or even have their movie set shot to bits, and not with a camera.

PS. I'm rambling and struggling to keep a bit of relevant context by mentioning the guitar thing... help me out here!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

L Ron Hubbard had the benefit of 20th century scientific information when he created the religion. Contrast this to the work of the unlettered, desert dwelling peasants Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Logically you can put more faith in scientology.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.