meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 2 times

Lonnie Knight died recently

Post by mike »

Hi all.

For those of you who know.this album

https://www.discogs.com/Flim-The-BBs-Fl ... se/2692237

I noticed that Lonnie Knight, guitarist, died recently. He's a bit obscure in our parts of the world, but Blue Noise off that album was a big influence on me in my 20s with respect to how to structure a solo. It was the only track on the album to feature guitar, but the whole album remains one of my favourites.

http://m.startribune.com/guitarist-and- ... 421743843/

The track is on youtube, but I can't get the link on my phone to paste here, so good luck!

It's jazzy blues.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Lonnie Knight died recently

Post by Jay »

Nice piece of music. Like that bluesy jazz. Solo starts at 3:20 - nice but how it teaches you structure puzzles me.

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

mike
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mike »

Hi jvpp.

Structure in the sense of the dynamics.

Slow build ups as the chord structure develops followed by let downs in intensity and tempo through each of the verses. Each cycle builds on the previous one with the contrast between the tonalities and improvisational styles of the successive solo instruments adding to the build-up, with the guitar solo delivering the final blow. Each cycle ends in the quick descending triplet turnaround pattern which suddenly flattens out like a waterfall splashing on the rocks and on into a slowly moving river.

Also structure in the intertwined guitar and piano lines, with the piano leading the movement from slow and soft up to the crescendos. Not to mention the other instruments. My understanding is that the album was recorded in a series of single takes.

I'd have to sit down with the guitar and work out the harmonic structure in hard core musical terms to be more specific in the traditional sense, but I'm on the train to work. If I get a chance to do it on the weekend I'll post the results back here. I play by ear normally but have trouble translating what I hear to and from the notational system so it'll just be a rough chords outline.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Flim is Jimmy Johnson one of the first bass players to go with a Low B string 5'er. He did some pretty out there stuff with Alan Holdsworth and I think he's on some of Roger Waters records.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

mike
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mike »

I didn't realise he'd worked with those guys, he is good. View from 7th Heaven on the above album (youtube) showed his playing off well.