Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Knopfler

Post by philly »

Slowy wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote: Both dead on. He is a fantastic musician and guitar player, and a great song-writer. He chose to go less commercial and folky/rootsy and I think a lot of his more recent music downplays his abilities a bit more than I'd personally like. But he's just a humble Geordie, after all...
Dire Straits was enough career for any musician; 6 hit albums.
Since he 'retired', Knopfler has made 9 soundtrack albums and 10 albums of original songs (soon to be 11).

What impresses me, is that unlike many growing older musicians, he keeps getting better. His focus now is more on the singer/songwriter than the guitarist and his song craft; lyrics, arrangements, production, musical diversity and melody are of the highest quality imaginable. His band is cherry picked from the world's finest musicians and they have a comfortable decade and a half of playing together. The band is a joy to listen to.

Even his voice has improved. As a young man, it had a rough distinctiveness. Compare that to his duet with the celestially voiced Ruth Moody. (Wherever I Go. Off the Tracker album).

I can spend hours just listening to how he puts a song together; it's never what you'd expect.

So I guess that means it's a :thumbup: from me.

yes... thats the stuff
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:
Slowy wrote:
What impresses me, is that unlike many growing older musicians, he keeps getting better.
I've always been dead impressed that, rather than move to the country to cultivate an enormous drug habit, he simply went and jammed a lot with other guitarists. . As one does. :) And fuck the fame and the DS comeback tours.
He claims his current band is way better than DS ever was. And as for fame, every album has been accompanied by a sellout 30-40 date world tour by private jet. He's not exactly playing happy hour at the local pub.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Slowy wrote: He claims his current band is way better than DS ever was. And as for fame, every album has been accompanied by a sellout 30-40 date world tour by private jet. He's not exactly playing happy hour at the local pub.
Yeah, fair enough, but he would earn a lot more with a Dire Straits reunion tour. I think he's obviously happy where he is. Good, sane guy.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Seems most estimates put his wealth in the post-$100M USD range so guess there’s no pull for a cash-in tour. Unlike John Lyndon...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Vince wrote:
Slowy wrote: He claims his current band is way better than DS ever was. And as for fame, every album has been accompanied by a sellout 30-40 date world tour by private jet. He's not exactly playing happy hour at the local pub.
Yeah, fair enough, but he would earn a lot more with a Dire Straits reunion tour. I think he's obviously happy where he is. Good, sane guy.
I'm being presumptuous, but he has never struck me as someone who would invest heavily in the Icelandic housing market, which was the main driver for a lot of the last decade's cash-in tours.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Slowy wrote:
HappyEnding wrote: Tried one of his solo albums and a few songs deep, there was no big "Money For Nothing" riff so I was out. Still not 'mature' enough to revisit it.
This is a fair comment. He's an old man now so it's reasonable to expect him to be writing old man music. Luckily for you, young HappyEnding, you have a treasure trove of delights waiting in your future. :D
Thanks. My more 'serious' listening phases were in my 20s. I have since regressed. But never say never.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

HappyEnding wrote:
Slowy wrote:
HappyEnding wrote: Tried one of his solo albums and a few songs deep, there was no big "Money For Nothing" riff so I was out. Still not 'mature' enough to revisit it.
This is a fair comment. He's an old man now so it's reasonable to expect him to be writing old man music. Luckily for you, young HappyEnding, you have a treasure trove of delights waiting in your future. :D
Thanks. My more 'serious' listening phases were in my 20s. I have since regressed. But never say never.
I regress all the time. Never have a clue what age I'm acting or actually am.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: I cannot abide Brothers in Arms - it embodies everything I hate about the 1980s.
Oh but the title track - his playing on that song is beautiful, and one of my favourite guitar tones still.

And I Love Over Gold - Telegraph Road.

But I grew up listening to Dire Straights, my Dad had the first CD player I'd ever seen and he got all the Dire Straights albums. First big concert I ever went to was Dire Straights at Athletic Park.

Knopfler only has to finger pick an acoustic guitar for 5 seconds and I'm blown away.