standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Gibbons

Post by standardfour »

:thumbup: I really dig the early stuff like ‘Salt Lick’ and some of the Moving Sidewalk tunes.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I haven't really listened to enough of his music to know if he's actually awesome or just a beard who can play proficiently...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:I haven't really listened to enough of his music to know if he's actually awesome or just a beard who can play proficiently...
Start with Tres Hombre and work your way around there. When you get towards Eliminator it starts to make sense why they suddenly went off in that direction. They were certainly running out of material and ideas in the last couple of albums prior, but I've made my own pre-Eliminator "Greatest Hits" playlist and its awesome.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

HappyEnding wrote: And to be a Contrary Mary, ELIMINATOR IS THEIR BEST FUCKING ALBUM CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK BAPS COCK.
I listen to that album now and think it's a real triumph of something or other. ZZ Top was probably the most unlikely band ever to succeed in the 80s and yet Eliminator ticks all the boxes. It sounds enough like them, it was a very 80s sequenced rhythm, it had fun videos. it just felt fresh at the time. It has something for everyone. Personally, I am in awe of that album.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Vince wrote:
HappyEnding wrote: And to be a Contrary Mary, ELIMINATOR IS THEIR BEST FUCKING ALBUM CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK BAPS COCK.
I listen to that album now and think it's a real triumph of something or other. ZZ Top was probably the most unlikely band ever to succeed in the 80s and yet Eliminator ticks all the boxes. It sounds enough like them, it was a very 80s sequenced rhythm, it had fun videos. it just felt fresh at the time. It has something for everyone. Personally, I am in awe of that album.
It was said to have been promoted like the second coming so that no doubt helped.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Vince wrote:ZZ Top just sound like they're in some ultra high tech studio, everything is really neat and clean. I guess I prefer people with a more primitive (? struggling for words here, I've never had to vocalise this) sound.
Sterile?
Yeah, I think so. Or like when you go to someone's place for a BBQ and they have this industrial size rig with 25,000 cooking options. it's great but a bit too slick.

I've never talked about ZZ Top much with anyone so I've never needed to find the words. It's not like I hate them or anything though.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Molly wrote:
It was said to have been promoted like the second coming so that no doubt helped.
Dunno... first time we (flatmates and I ) saw "Legs" we were like "WTF was THAT? Wish I could see that again!" and "Isn't that those La Grange guys?"

It's not like I heard the song 10,000 times and it grew on me. I liked it from the word go.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I went to see them in the late 1980s at Western Springs because I liked that song Blue Jean Blues at the time. They were terrible, but I still think they can be a very good band on their day.

That La Grange jam posted early in this thread is simple but has swing. It got me tapping my foot and feeling good when I am only on my second coffee of the day. That makes it good in my book

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Vince wrote:
Molly wrote:
Dunno... first time we (flatmates and I ) saw "Legs" we were like "WTF was THAT? Wish I could see that again!" and "Isn't that those La Grange guys?"

It's not like I heard the song 10,000 times and it grew on me. I liked it from the word go.
They did basically own the music video format though and really used it to make sure everyone knew who ZZ Top were. So much so that the '33 Ford in "Legs" went on its own tour.

I very much doubt they would have had close to the same level of success without the promotional goldmine that was that video.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

For me Afterburner was the first time I really heard Billy Gibbons, lush eighties reverb cradling every sound. It coincided with me getting a proper Stereo with decent headphones, so the "over production" at that time meant nothing to me, it just sounded great, almost better than anything I had heard to that point, certainly better than Dad's Roger Whittaker records and Mum's Cliff Richard records. Yes, I was abused aurally as a child. I prefer to think of myself as a survivor, rather than a victim.
I discovered the delights of the early ZZTop later and enjoyed that too.
I think other pleasures of the eighties that I enjoyed then suffer far more in hearing now than ZZTop, Dave Coverdale's erotic phallus band's million selling magnum opus springs to mind.
Tin arse!!

candiman
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by candiman »

Lotta love for ZZ Top. Formative years and eliminator was a group of fine rock albums released around the same time. Hearing it now make me want to cover my ESP M2 in white sheepskin. Within a year of this my available music was dominated for an eternity by Tears for Fears, Aha, Thomspon Twins, Bronski, etc.

The terrible price of growing up on a farm in the middle of nowhere with only one radio station available. In hindsight I should'a got a tape player for the cowshed...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Terexgeek wrote:For me Afterburner was the first time I really heard Billy Gibbons, lush eighties reverb cradling every sound. It coincided with me getting a proper Stereo with decent headphones, so the "over production" at that time meant nothing to me, it just sounded great, almost better than anything I had heard to that point, certainly better than Dad's Roger Whittaker records and Mum's Cliff Richard records. Yes, I was abused aurally as a child. I prefer to think of myself as a survivor, rather than a victim.
I think other pleasures of the eighties that I enjoyed then suffer far more in hearing now than ZZTop, Dave Coverdale's erotic phallus band's million selling magnum opus springs to mind.
It's funny, you were aurally abused with Cliff and Roger, I was with Eric Clapton in much the same way. What was really funny though is I introduced my dad to ZZ Top, he used to sneak my cassettes away and listen to them pretending that he didn't like his kids music, even though it was way better than the "slow hand" shit he was used to listening to.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:For me Afterburner was the first time I really heard Billy Gibbons, lush eighties reverb cradling every sound. It coincided with me getting a proper Stereo with decent headphones, so the "over production" at that time meant nothing to me, it just sounded great, almost better than anything I had heard to that point, certainly better than Dad's Roger Whittaker records and Mum's Cliff Richard records. Yes, I was abused aurally as a child. I prefer to think of myself as a survivor, rather than a victim.
It's funny, you were aurally abused with Cliff and Roger, I was with Eric Clapton in much the same way. What was really funny though is I introduced my dad to ZZ Top, he used to sneak my cassettes away and listen to them pretending that he didn't like his kids music, even though it was way better than the "slow hand" shit he was used to listening to.
:lol:
My dad would pinch my Queen tapes and watch my Video cassettes as well as the ZZTop! He would also pinch my Dire Straits tapes too.

Come to think of it, he pinched the Kenwood stereo and Wharfedale speakers I purchased with my first student loan. :lol:
Tin arse!!