Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Re: Springsteen

Post by Olderama »

willow13 wrote::thumbup: :thumbdown:

kinda like him, kinda don't like him, want to like him more, can't listen to his stuff to long :rofl:
What he said :)
:mental:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Love 'The River' and 'Born in the USA'. The Ghost of Tom Joad is good but I find that on that album and some later ones his vocals aren't clear enough (for me) which defeats the purpose, if you're a wordsmith. The version of Tom Joad that he did with Pete Seeger is excellent. I also find the full-on nature of the band stuff is too noisy for my ears. The River and Born in the USA were just right in the music, lyrics, and mix.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

watched a doco about him (by his fans) on the plane last week, very interesting.

:thumbup:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:One of my best mates was a big Springsteen fan and saw him four times on the same uk tour. Every night , different set list and the same songs would be performed with different instrumentation, one night solo with a piano, another night full band. Whole thing was completely fluid and down to Springsteen's reading of the audience. Same tour another mate Keith West ( of grocer jack notoriety) had to leave after five songs. Said they hit the stage with such insane energy that increased with each new song that he left out of fear for his heart giving out....Now that's a proper m' fucking band.Big respect...
Ha Keith West, did he ever finish that opera thing lol...
Nah the song was a one off ( which bought him a nice house in Addelstone) His best shit was with Tomorrow, My white bicycle etc along with Steve Howe. Last seen playing guitar with dj Mike Reid's band and working for Burns Guitars.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I went to his show at Mt Smart around 15 years ago - and I felt like it taught me what rock music is. He is a super-entertainer, it was a long set and it felt like he was giving it his all. Good fun, and he covers serious topics too.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I enjoyed born in the usa when it came out, but can't say i've listened to much since, doubt I'd find his work very interesting these days...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Love me some springsteen, although it can be a bit all the same sounding. He's a great lyricist and conjures up fascinating images of an America that I've never seen. It's also really fun music to play, and we're plugging away at rehearsing a full on The Boss tribute show. 10 piece band of seriously musicians, it's going to be good. First gig booked for March 2018 ;-)

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

bbrunskill wrote:Love me some springsteen, although it can be a bit all the same sounding. He's a great lyricist and conjures up fascinating images of an America that I've never seen. It's also really fun music to play, and we're plugging away at rehearsing a full on The Boss tribute show. 10 piece band of seriously musicians, it's going to be good. First gig booked for March 2018 ;-)
Nice, how'd the first gig go? :moresarc:

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Springsteen wrote a tune called "Out of Work" for Gary US Bond

That's what I learned yesterday.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

foal30 wrote:Springsteen wrote a tune called "Out of Work" for Gary US Bond

That's what I learned yesterday.
I've heard that Because The Night was originally written for The Ramones. He gets around.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

:thumbup: Downbound Train .

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

Not a huge fan of his originals but some of my favourite songs are covers of his stuff which I think speaks to his ability as a song writer.
Last edited by mule on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

standardfour wrote::thumbup: Downbound Train .
He does that too? I (rightly) figured he must do Jersey Girl.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

He's like Dylan - great at words, a bit short on melody, weird arrangements, and the best versions of his songs are covers. Except Fire by the Pointer Sisters is rubbish.

All round top bloke though.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

We need to start a band :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.