kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Oueen?

Post by kwhelan »

I enjoyed movie too but was annoyed they stopped where they did. Quite alot happened after live aid. The way the movie shows it They were split up basically and almost accidentally reformed just for live aid but on wiki it says they headlined 2 nights at Rock N Rio in Jan and completed the works tour in Japan and AUS in April May before the Live Aid in July which kinda makes the whole scene of them practising for liveaid a bit suspect.
Saw a doco on freddie's life on Prime Rocks which was really good and covered right thru till his death. Movie also seemed a bit unbelievably sanitised or sweetened but I guess after the director change and things it seems they wanted it told that way and it was quite obviously promotional rather than completely factual.
Biggest thing for me was I'd forgotten how young he/they all still were, would have been interesting to have seen what they would have kept doing, the ability to sucessfully change musical styles and write catchy songs in such a short time was impressive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I never expect a movie to tell me anything factual I didn’t already know.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I totally enjoyed the movie and as someone pointed out it was great to hear the songs and new mixes up real loud, and as totally familiar as I am with the Live Aid set it still sounded amazing to be kind of in amongst the audience for the sing along stuff - ditto the scenes in Madison Square Garden.

In total Nerd style though, the only thing that kept jogging me out of the movie were the three or so times a Gibson Les Paul showed up so prominently! I'm probably wrong but the only other guitar I really associate with Brian is a Black Strat, and the only Fender I saw in the film was a Black Tele on stage briefly during Live Aid, replaced in the same scene with a 2nd Red Special which was even odder...

So wonder if the "new" Gibson paid for that "consideration" in the movie...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

sty wrote:I totally enjoyed the movie and as someone pointed out it was great to hear the songs and new mixes up real loud, and as totally familiar as I am with the Live Aid set it still sounded amazing to be kind of in amongst the audience for the sing along stuff - ditto the scenes in Madison Square Garden.

In total Nerd style though, the only thing that kept jogging me out of the movie were the three or so times a Gibson Les Paul showed up so prominently! I'm probably wrong but the only other guitar I really associate with Brian is a Black Strat, and the only Fender I saw in the film was a Black Tele on stage briefly during Live Aid, replaced in the same scene with a 2nd Red Special which was even odder...

So wonder if the "new" Gibson paid for that "consideration" in the movie...
Brian had a Les Paul Deluxe from 74-76 as a backup before the Birch existed. Then between 82-84 he had Flying Vee as a backup to the Birch which got shattered at a gig in Chicago in '82. There's a full bootleg of that gig where the audio of the Birch being shattered exists, and the fact that Brian sounds exactly the same through a Flying Vee as he did the Red Special... /nerd
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

See I knew I'd be wrong :)

Polar Bear