Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Hopefully meeting Steve Rothery in 2019

Post by philly »

their drummer went to my school and played in the jazz orchestra
... before i started there tho so i never got to play with him
he was replaced by comic identity roland rivron
i shit you not
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

philly wrote:their drummer went to my school and played in the jazz orchestra
i shit you not
Of Raw Sex fame! LOL

RR tells some good stories about playing with Jools Holland. One gig in a marquee he was so pissed he fell of his riser and ended up outside the tent. Went back around to the entrance and they wouldn't let him back in...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Molly wrote:I could be wrong but I'm sure in that pic he's playing a Squier. That being the case he can't possibly be any good. :-)
Yes, it is, but it is an early Japanese Squier, so that says he puts tone over brand.
I knew it was me :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

Molly wrote:
philly wrote:their drummer went to my school and played in the jazz orchestra
i shit you not
Of Raw Sex fame! LOL

RR tells some good stories about playing with Jools Holland. One gig in a marquee he was so pissed he fell of his riser and ended up outside the tent. Went back around to the entrance and they wouldn't let him back in...
i went back to the uk from sydney for my brothers wedding in the mid 90's and bumped into roly's mum.. she managed a dry cleaners near my mum and dads at this stage
i told her how great it was to see him doing well and on the tv etc. (young ones and french and saunders etc)
she got a bit shirty and said he only did "that rubbish" to get his equity ticket and he was going to be a serious actor soon
i was quite flummoxed
to be honest he wasnt particularly funny at school... he was a coupla years older than me. he had a brother with a name that also began with r
i think he fell in with jools holland etc by playing drums at the groucho club.. but i might be wrong there...
(the only other famous person that went to our school was the astrologist russell grant!)
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Was she fresh from seeing Riv Ron, where he interviewed people while floating in the River Thames? Because I could see that as a sore point...

I'm not making this shit up
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

yeah i remember watching that in sydney
mebbe he stayed at the groucho a bit too long...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

philly wrote:yeah i remember watching that in sydney
bills to pay I guess... some of it was actually funny. At the time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
And who can forget the all-star cast in this:

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:
And who can forget the all-star cast in this:

best thing they did i think

just got nostalgic and googled me skool.. (dont recommend this to be honest)
apparently it was demolished last year for a new school to be built
no mention of roly :

Notable pupils who attended Abbotsfield include astrologer Russell Grant, Marillion drummer Ian Mosley, West Ham footballer Peter Bennett, Olympic decathlete Barry King and rapper Asite.

to be honest i have no idea what a "decathlete" or "rapper" is..... didnt have them in my day...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

philly wrote:

I Google Earthed my old schools. Both demolished and newer schools built on the same sites. I have zero fond memories. Nobody famous that I'm aware of. When I think about how violent it was it makes the details of my day today seem like nothing.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

Molly wrote:
philly wrote:

I Google Earthed my old schools. Both demolished and newer schools built on the same sites. I have zero fond memories. Nobody famous that I'm aware of. When I think about how violent it was it makes the details of my day today seem like nothing.
i know...
teachers used to punch us... full on .. in the face.. in private.. one on one
i used to tell my kids this and they didnt believe me... but it was quite commonplace
we had a couple of pedo's who were at it for years until some kid complained and his dad kicked off an inquiry
the teachers ended up topping themselves in the new forest in hampshire
one of them used to thrash me to bits over the slightest wrongdoing.. i had no idea at the time he was getting some sort of sexual gratification from it .. i was 13 or 14
..and if you complained to your parents you'd get a hiding too.... because teachers know best

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

philly wrote:
Molly wrote:
philly wrote:

i know...
teachers used to punch us... full on .. in the face.. in private.. one on one
i used to tell my kids this and they didnt believe me... but it was quite commonplace
we had a couple of pedo's who were at it for years until some kid complained and his dad kicked off an inquiry
the teachers ended up topping themselves in the new forest in hampshire
one of them used to thrash me to bits over the slightest wrongdoing.. i had no idea at the time he was getting some sort of sexual gratification from it .. i was 13 or 14
..and if you complained to your parents you'd get a hiding too.... because teachers know best
Christ, I got off lightly. In high school we had an ex-Olympic shot-put geezer who administered the cane but he was nothing to the heavy-handed, overly-religious, sadistic c**t of a head at my Jr school. These days he'd be lynched.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Lucky for me I must have gone through my Middle & High school as physical punishment was on the way out. Most I ever got was a ruler across the knuckles, always from the same teacher. Later found out that he was homosexual with a fondness for young boys; if I look back at things and figure out what I think was actually going on in his English & History classes it's nothing short of frightening.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Lucky for me I must have gone through my Middle & High school as physical punishment was on the way out. Most I ever got was a ruler across the knuckles, always from the same teacher. Later found out that he was homosexual with a fondness for young boys; if I look back at things and figure out what I think was actually going on in his English & History classes it's nothing short of frightening.
Bit like seeing your old Judas Priest posters through your worldly, older eyes.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

Molly wrote: Bit like seeing your old Judas Priest posters through your worldly, older eyes.
ever heard all of Sad Wings Of Destiny?

(From Wkik)
Island of Domination
The side-closing "Island of Domination" is a heavy rocker with a complex riff in a style reminiscent of Black Sabbath. Downing described the lyrics as personal to Halford, joking of their having "probably a few innuendoes"

Roberts most descriptive tail regarding the whole sweaty cummings and goings of all things leathery
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.