werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Mark Hollis dead

Post by werdna »

Sad at this. Play Spirit of Eden all day. Genius.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... eports-say
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: Mark Hollis dead

Post by foal30 »

Heavyweight musician

Almost inconceivable his deliberate break from corporate music industry

A fucking great man. RIP
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

A truly influential musician...Spirit of Eden was my go to at age 19...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

thanks to my GF and JB I only really found out about them a Cpl of years ago.
shame, does anyone know the cause?
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

mrmofo wrote:does anyone know the cause?
Doesn't seem to be any reports of cause at this stage (that I can find), but at 64 I'm expecting illness.

Edit: 'A short illness, from which he never recovered' is the official release from his former manager.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

what a shame.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

big fan here
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

mrmofo wrote:thanks to my GF and JB
Me?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

jeremyb wrote:
mrmofo wrote:thanks to my GF and JB
Me?
yea I think it was you. would have been maybe three or four years ago. (from Memory)

after reading I went home and asked my GF about them as the only song I knew was that cheesy first single from the early 80`s. she had the classic three last albums. I listened to them and was blown away.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

The best guitar work Robbie McIntosh did was with Talk Talk.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

werdna wrote:The best guitar work Robbie McIntosh did was with Talk Talk.
He was great on those sessions. I heard last week my old mate David Rhodes ( P Gabriel's guitarist ) who played the guitar on "Life's what you make it " has stage 4 of the big C which is another major bummer.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

"life's what you make it" - everything a great riff should be, economical, melodic and serving the song.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Dharmajester wrote:
He was great on those sessions. I heard last week my old mate David Rhodes ( P Gabriel's guitarist ) who played the guitar on "Life's what you make it " has stage 4 of the big C which is another major bummer.
That does suck. I went to the Peter Gabriel Secret World tour in '94 and David Rhodes was playing for him then. He was using a Steinberger through two Matchless DC-30's. I didn't know what the amps were but was intrigued by the light in the front panel. I asked a guy in front of me with binoculars if he could make out the brand, which he could.

It's everywhere. The guy I purchased the Custom from a few weeks back passed away last week from the big C. Same story re the ES-335 guy...

It's why I feel like anytime something hurts in me for more than a day, it's cancer.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

GrantB wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
That does suck. I went to the Peter Gabriel Secret World tour in '94 and David Rhodes was playing for him then. He was using a Steinberger through two Matchless DC-30's. I didn't know what the amps were but was intrigued by the light in the front panel. I asked a guy in front of me with binoculars if he could make out the brand, which he could.

It's everywhere. The guy I purchased the Custom from a few weeks back passed away last week from the big C. Same story re the ES-335 guy...

It's why I feel like anytime something hurts in me for more than a day, it's cancer.
oh i hear you.

before the age of 50 you either get flu.. the shits.. headaches...maybe a broken bone....after 50 you get all sorts of weird pains and sensations and you think they must be a tumour or something

last week i came home and commented on the nice smell coming from the kitchen..."are you making a cake?"... "no?!?"

after a couple of days of being able to smell a sort of alcoholic/vanilla smell i took to google where i discovered "phantosmia" which is where you smell things that dont exist... basically it could be a fault with the nervous system or brain seizures.. possibly caused by strokes or head injuries (regular readers may remember my ladder fall a few weeks ago...)

so by this time im shitting meself and book a doctors appointment... they couldnt find anything wrong so ive gone home completely dejected

on saturday the smell was really vivid and i thought i was going to keel over there and then....we were just off to the farmers market and as i was collecting the shopping bags i noted a bag of pears i forgot to unpack the week before.... all brown and rotting

no other fucker in the house could smell it!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

philly wrote:
oh i hear you.

before the age of 50 you either get flu.. the shits.. headaches...maybe a broken bone....after 50 you get all sorts of weird pains and sensations and you think they must be a tumour or something

last week i came home and commented on the nice smell coming from the kitchen..."are you making a cake?"... "no?!?"

after a couple of days of being able to smell a sort of alcoholic/vanilla smell i took to google where i discovered "phantosmia" which is where you smell things that dont exist... basically it could be a fault with the nervous system or brain seizures.. possibly caused by strokes or head injuries (regular readers may remember my ladder fall a few weeks ago...)

so by this time im shitting meself and book a doctors appointment... they couldnt find anything wrong so ive gone home completely dejected

on saturday the smell was really vivid and i thought i was going to keel over there and then....we were just off to the farmers market and as i was collecting the shopping bags i noted a bag of pears i forgot to unpack the week before.... all brown and rotting

no other fucker in the house could smell it!
I'm sorry philly, but I did laugh good n proper at this! :lol: