Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: David Gilmour

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

Wow, that’s fascinating!

Gilmour’s great and all, good player, tone for days etc, but I wouldn’t call myself a huge fan, don’t want to have his babies like some peeps, but yeah, crazy how all those solos just sound like him!

I can’t decide if that’s a good thing or bad!

Stuck in his own groove and can’t do anything else, or just so distinctive it just shows through whatever he does!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

NZTone.e wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:25 am Wow, that’s fascinating!

Gilmour’s great and all, good player, tone for days etc, but I wouldn’t call myself a huge fan, don’t want to have his babies like some peeps, but yeah, crazy how all those solos just sound like him!

Stuck in his own groove and can’t do anything else, or just so distinctive it just shows through whatever he does!
Interesting stuff.

Yeah, he certainly has his sound. You could defo hear bits of the Comfortably Numb solo in #4!
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

He's one of the rare breed who just sounds like himself, much rather be that than a generic solo guy :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm

He's one of the rare breed who just sounds like himself, much rather be that than a generic solo guy :thumbup:

See now, that’s why I’m not convinced!

You take any man, plug in his rig, or something very similar, and get him to play licks he always plays and no matter what the song is, it’s going to sound like him.

I can’t help but think that the produces of these songs said to themselves “I reckon this song would really suit a David Gilmour type solo” and gave him a call!

Pretty hard not to sound like yourself in the scenario!

I’m not knocking the guy, he’s awesome at what he does, I just think maybe that’s all he does…

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

Miza wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:57 pm

Interesting stuff.

Yeah, he certainly has his sound. You could defo hear bits of the Comfortably Numb solo in #4!

Exactly mate, you can hear Floyd esque riffs all over these lead breaks, although that last one was kind of hard to get through, what a laborious song!

It would also be rather hard to get out of that zone after being in it for so many years…

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm He's one of the rare breed who just sounds like himself, much rather be that than a generic solo guy :thumbup:
Agreed. I think that because his playing isn't sexy to a lot of people don't recognise his greatness.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:24 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm He's one of the rare breed who just sounds like himself, much rather be that than a generic solo guy :thumbup:
Agreed. I think that because his playing isn't sexy to a lot of people don't recognise his greatness.
People are sometimes more impressed by a million notes played at speed than a few played with feeling and emotion :-(

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:40 am People are sometimes more impressed by a million notes played at speed than a few played with feeling and emotion :-(
I can appreciate the skill level of shred guitar but prefer a bit of space and feeling between notes.

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:36 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:40 am People are sometimes more impressed by a million notes played at speed than a few played with feeling and emotion :-(
I can appreciate the skill level of shred guitar but prefer a bit of space and feeling between notes.
They’re very few guitarists who can shred with any sense of melody or emotion, it’s impressive but meh.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:24 am

Not sexy? Are you mad?

Don’t think there’s another player in the world that can nail that mornful whale like David gilmour does, definitely sexy mate!

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

NZTone.e wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:23 pm Not sexy? Are you mad?

Don’t think there’s another player in the world that can nail that mornful whale like David gilmour does, definitely sexy mate!
Flashy might have been a better word. No two-handed tapping, whammy bar dive bombing etc. What the Average Joe would think amazing guitar playing was. That sort of thing is what I was meaning.

www.fantailaudio.com

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:36 pm
NZTone.e wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:23 pm Not sexy? Are you mad?

Flashy might have been a better word. No two-handed tapping, whammy bar dive bombing etc. What the Average Joe would think amazing guitar playing was. That sort of thing is what I was meaning.

Yeah fair enough mate, I was just joshing ya!

He does some good flurries though, so I bet he could rip it up if he wanted too!

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

NZTone.e wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:02 pm Yeah fair enough mate, I was just joshing ya!

He does some good flurries though, so I bet he could rip it up if he wanted too!
One of my all-time favorite players that for sure. No doubt. I'm sure he could really let it rip if he wanted to.

www.fantailaudio.com