werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 594 times
Been liked: 460 times

Peter Frampton

Post by werdna »

During the late 70s, Peter Frampton was a pinup boy, on the cover of girly teen magazines and on posters on girls' bedroom walls. Long ringlets of blond hair, a boyish smile - like Leif Garrett but with wonky English teeth. In 1976, Frampton Comes Alive became the biggest selling album in US history. A lot of people who don't normally like music must have bought that record, including the teeny boppers.

Yet Frampton was a solid rock guitarist. Toured as a four piece band, including a great player on the Fender Rhodes who sang backing vocals. They were tight! The 3 minute voice box playing was a questionable indulgence, but when he was playing in the pocket switching between the three pickups on his 50s black Les Paul, he was an exciting guitarist of his era.

Imagine Harry Styles clipping on a Les Paul and playing like a boss - I can't - and you realise how good it got back then.

Here's a 1975 performance of Do You Feel Like We Do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8
Last edited by werdna on Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Re: Peter Frampton

Post by Jay »

I remember him from Humble Pie days and onwards. Still have his Frampton Comes Alive album on vinyl.

I need to get my record player going again...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Ho yeah, big fan and love the comes alive album! Great guitar work, beautiful solos.
I recently started with this video, slowly learning that song

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Frampton comes alive is a classic, so good!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Frampton Comes Alive is a fantastic album that came out in my teens and I still have it now but on CD. Saw him live about 10+ years ago at the Aotea Center in Auckland with the same band members, except for Bob Mayo (keyboards) who had died on tour in 2004. Peter was bald lol and he momentarily eff'd up the talk box in "Do You Feel Like We Do" and apologised. Anyone else there?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Rick Beato seems to be a big fan so Frampton pops up often on his youtube channel. I remember when I was very young (primary school?) going to my friends house and him putting on tlhis Dad's Frampton Comes Alive vinyl to show me the 'talking guitar'.
werdna wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:09 am Imagine Harry Styles clipping on a Les Paul and playing like a boss - I can't - and you realise how good it got back then.
Isn't John Mayer the Frampton equivalent? The pin-up pop star who is also a guitar god. Adam Levine is also pretty decent!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Lyle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 pm Rick Beato seems to be a big fan so Frampton pops up often on his youtube channel. I remember when I was very young (primary school?) going to my friends house and him putting on tlhis Dad's Frampton Comes Alive vinyl to show me the 'talking guitar'.
werdna wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:09 am Imagine Harry Styles clipping on a Les Paul and playing like a boss - I can't - and you realise how good it got back then.
Isn't John Mayer the Frampton equivalent? The pin-up pop star who is also a guitar god. Adam Levine is also pretty decent!
Ed Sheeran is also a really underrated player.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

robthemac wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:33 pm
Lyle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 pm Rick Beato seems to be a big fan so Frampton pops up often on his youtube channel. I remember when I was very young (primary school?) going to my friends house and him putting on tlhis Dad's Frampton Comes Alive vinyl to show me the 'talking guitar'.
Ed Sheeran is also a really underrated player.
Yeah I've seen a few clips of him playing live, his music is saccharine sweet pop dross and he may look like a fraggle, but he most certainly knows his way around a fretboard and has some serious chops hiding in plain sight.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Frampton Comes in His Pants was certainly less well received by both Fans and Critics alike
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 594 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

You're right about John Mayer. It occurred to me as I was running last night.
Adam Levine isn't quite there yet though, from what I've seen, not that it would keep him awake worried.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

I would put Jack White in the pretty guitar god category too.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

on the Blues Cruise (Keeping the Blues alive at Sea - Mediterranian) a couple of years ago I saw Frampton play two shows...the first was excellent. Great songs, great band, great vocals and Great guitar playing...three days later after a bunch of other great guitarists hit the stage on the sun deck, Frampton came back...this time he took no prisoners. It was an extraordinary show. Some of the best improvisation Ive heard and hardly a pentatonic in sight. Absolutely amazing.

Very sad he has lost all the strength in his legs...he struggled a bit with the boat moving. Still a treasured memory!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

I liked his cover of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:26 am I would put Jack White in the pretty guitar god category too.
Surely you mean Jack Black? Jack White looks unwell to me. Jack Black - now there's a whole lot of pretty.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Love Frampton but…

Back in 2006 and the Stones played western springs.
To everyone’s horror, Nickleback were the opening act.

My best mate who was down in the expensive seats texts me “is that the worst haircut since Peter Frampton?”
I reply “Frampton then or Frampton now?”

:lol: