Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

wow. i just saw that clip.

holy mother of god. if those arent two of the best shredders on the planet... :shock: :shock:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Pffft, those two chumps got nothing on me :P :wink:

Seriously though, how long does it take to become like that? On a more realistic scale, how long does it take to be close to ascend in terms of technical ability (not suggesting ascend is somehow lesser than those two lol). And when I say close, I mean being able to do resonable fast runs. Not as fast as him but fast. And this question excludes tapping and stuff like that.
And yeah, the little window with the solos is pure wankery.
"0mG mY d1cK is BigGEr ThaN y0Urs!!!!111!11!!"
"n0 My diCK pWNs y0uR D1cK L0LZOR!!!1!!!!........w00t."

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

machina wrote:Seriously though, how long does it take to become like that? On a more realistic scale, how long does it take to be close to ascend in terms of technical ability (not suggesting ascend is somehow lesser than those two lol). And when I say close, I mean being able to do resonable fast runs. Not as fast as him but fast. And this question excludes tapping and stuff like that...
I can't play as fast as Ascend, or anyone in a band that involves dragons, but I have been know to surprise myself with a couple of notes strung together in a quickish fashion :twisted: When I first started playing guitar (age 14) I used to play at least 5 hours a day, 10-12 a day on the weekend, and it took a couple of months from not knowing which end of the guitar to hold, to playing some Van Halen stuff. Obviously this was madness and I would highly recommend that you have a life instead of following my regime...

But, I would suggest practising the basic mechanics of alternate picking A LOT. And legato can be your very best "special" friend for sounding fast ;) And if you can find a surgeon to implant some fast twitch muscle fibers in your fingers, that would help :lol:

So yeah, practice... and then practice some more... and then... you get the picture :roll:
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

holy shit.

so you were that kind eh dude... no wonder ur skills are fucking ace...me on the other hand i had my first 2 years "wasted" on bluesrock type stuff, i've only just started consciously practicing ( and i can normally only manage about a max of 30 mins a day on and off) in the past 6 months or so. god knows it hAS done wonders for my technique tho i still can't figure out how to sweep pick :cry:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

humphreybear
Ashton
Ashton

Post by humphreybear »

whoa they're awesome! but all their songs sound the same especially the drums

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I see this video on Alt TV
it came right after a live clip of the Stax European Tour (1967?)
Otis Redding backed by the Bar-Kay horns and Booker T and the M.G.s

I left feeling Dragonforce might sort of missed the boat with time spent practicing versus "playing".

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Rog is blown away by the speed and I think they put on a bloody good show!! That said, I tired of it quite quickly and it eventually became so-so to me. Full props for their playing though!!

Probably an age thing, but I prefer more feel and less notes per second in the music I like to listen to. I find more thrill in a long sustained note than I do 64th notes played incessantly.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

Poor Rog, you must have used up all your hormones.... :(
Konx om Pax

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Rog wrote:Probably an age thing, but I prefer more feel and less notes per second in the music I like to listen to. I find more thrill in a long sustained note than I do 64th notes played incessantly.

boooooo0000000000OOOOOOOOOO000000OOOOOOOooooooooo!

boooo.

*cough*

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

machina wrote:Pffft, those two chumps got nothing on me :P :wink:

Seriously though, how long does it take to become like that? On a more realistic scale, how long does it take to be close to ascend in terms of technical ability (not suggesting ascend is somehow lesser than those two lol). And when I say close, I mean being able to do resonable fast runs. Not as fast as him but fast. And this question excludes tapping and stuff like that.
And yeah, the little window with the solos is pure wankery.
"0mG mY d1cK is BigGEr ThaN y0Urs!!!!111!11!!"
"n0 My diCK pWNs y0uR D1cK L0LZOR!!!1!!!!........w00t."
If you're a reasonable player who kind of knows what you are doing and can play some basic solos and a scale or two accurately and cleanly, then a year or two of heavy, intelligent practice will get you pretty chopsed up.

You've got to maintain once you get there, though. At one point in my very misspent teens I had every lick on the first Paul Gilbert video up to speed. for a period after that I lost interest in that style of playing, and my chops suffered as a result. At that level, it's like pro sports: you have to train a lot and make sure the basics are second nature. It's a lot of work that I certainly can't be bothered with nowadays.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

foal30 wrote:I see this video on Alt TV
it came right after a live clip of the Stax European Tour (1967?)
Otis Redding backed by the Bar-Kay horns and Booker T and the M.G.s

I left feeling Dragonforce might sort of missed the boat with time spent practicing versus "playing".
Good old Alt. That's eclecticism for ya!
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Poor Rog, you must have used up all your hormones....
Never had a hormone - always paid them well.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...