What is "good" music?

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

lionking
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by lionking »

I think it is when it brings out or sparks emotion,whether it's happy,sad,anger,thought,dancing...whatever.

I know that's what I feel when I play it,I'm sure you do to.The energy you feel from playing is based on emotion also,specially doing a lead solo,nothing like holding a screaming sustained :D bend to get your gut fired up!

Or a nice arpeggio chording to loose yourself in.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

naphazoline wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
but do you play with both hands now or is one on that old rewind button still? :lol:
i haven't played consistently. over time i had a few years off, and my playing has suffered a bit. but recently i upgraded all my stuff and i'm really giving it a thrashing (my guitar that is :P :lol: ). i just need to get used to my new guitar a bit more. the strap button position has made a enormous difference. it's much more comfortable to play now. 8)

BTW, i don't need a rewind button now. with cubase i can just loop bits. over and over and..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of straps, I'm currently doing the hard yards with a metronome trying to get up to speed with the riff from Judas Priest's Painkiller ( fast eigth note downstrokes on the E and A strings ) and I noticed that when I play sitting down I can play it cleanly at about 10 bpm faster than I can standing up. The only difference I can think of is the guitar's a bit higher up than in the low-slung standing position. I could just raise the strap but then I'd look like the dude from Arctic Monkeys. Prob just gotta sweat a bit more to be able to play it without looking like a tool, LOL

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

yep even at my age I'd rather sling it lower than look like a tool... :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

KurtiZ
Stagg
Stagg

Post by KurtiZ »

Ahh the good old music taste thread.

I only just realised today what I think is good music. I love Dream Theater and a band i just got into, Protest the Hero. I figured out that I like these bands because they change time signatures alot, well I know DT does, I havnt really listened hard or much to Protest the hero but I like their on and off style of guitaring, different from most other bands with just a continuious beat.

I realised that I really dont like songs that dont change, same beat or beats the whole way thru really does get boring after 3 minutes or more.

So yeah I think good music is music that changes alot I spose, probably obvious really.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

KurtiZ wrote:So yeah I think good music is music that changes alot I spose, probably obvious really.
at the other end of the scale I've been listening to a bit of old funk lately, sly and the family, earth wind and fire. A few song there which get into a groove over a single vamp and stay there for 3mins or more.

Not good music by your definition, but good music to me.

This is a stupid topic btw.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

This is a stupid topic btw.

So, RCP, you're basically directly insulting everyone here??? ;)

Stupidity is the quality or condition of lacking intelligence, as opposed to being merely ignorant or uneducated. This quality can be attributed to both an individual or a person's actions, words or beliefs, or those of a group.

As an English word, it implies that the attributed party is not mentally retarded but rather is willfully ignorant and/or unintelligent, and displays poor use of judgement or insensitivity to nuances
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Post by naphazoline »

Some Bozo wrote:
Speaking of straps, I'm currently doing the hard yards with a metronome trying to get up to speed with the riff from Judas Priest's Painkiller ( fast eigth note downstrokes on the E and A strings ) and I noticed that when I play sitting down I can play it cleanly at about 10 bpm faster than I can standing up. The only difference I can think of is the guitar's a bit higher up than in the low-slung standing position. I could just raise the strap but then I'd look like the dude from Arctic Monkeys. Prob just gotta sweat a bit more to be able to play it without looking like a tool, LOL
obviously it's better where ever you feel most comfortable and relaxed.

but personally i don't like playing sitting down, and i wouldn't advise anyone to practise like that if they're going to play in a metal band.

Phildo
Resident Tyre Kicker

What is "good" music?

Post by Phildo »

What is "good" music?
Foo Fighters. :D Especially if you were locked on a desert Island or stuck down a mine shaft or possibly going on an interstellar trip (non cryogenic of course) for 1 year. :wink: :wink:
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb.

Timi
Gibson

Re: What is "good" music?

Post by Timi »

Phildo wrote:
What is "good" music?
Foo Fighters. :D
Agreed, but I'm not sure about the last two albums.
The first album is by far my favourite, followed by One by One.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

new foo fighters stuff sounds a bit watery to me, sounds kinda hammed up

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Good music... is anything I'm feeling as I play it. :wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

begining middle and end

its hard with a loop
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

i see the Foo Fighters video was funny
despite him crying 5 times I think I laughed each time

it also brought back memories of the Young Doctors

Sgt, can you meet me at Bunnies?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I sometimes take the drummers part and loop a section for improvisational fun, or more often bass twaddle.

still, once it worked great, the trombonist lit a fire under my ass, I was listening to it the other day, it sounds "live"

particularly on a unicycle whilst towing 1 and 3 quarter ton of pig-iron.