robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

The one and only WETA

Post by robnobcorncob »

So what happened to this band? Aaron Tokona and Gabriel are in a band with the drummer from Motorace and are based in Melbourne now from what I heard?

Who else is a fan? I know they were pretty popular... If anyone has a copy of 'Geographica' I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands.
Last edited by robnobcorncob on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Re: The one and only WETA

Post by TBB Flamey »

I loved that Calling on song they had but never really investigated them further. I probably should though, I've heard a few good things about that album
Live love leave eat sandwiches

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

Big fan here - I have a signed copy of Geographica and it's STILL awesome to this day. If they'd been just a few years later they would have cashed in on the whole "NZ music is good now" thing like Op Shop/Blindspott/Feelers/Elemeno P have done. They would have been bigger than Shihad if he'd stayed the distance.

I hear he's a house painter now.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Mal from WETA guitars was telling me a year and a half ago that they had commissioned him to build them all weta guitars for a reunion tour but then their tour fell through

I've seen the singer on cuba street twice, so I guess he's living in wellington or visits here often. I heard that they toured far too much and hated each other as a result

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

"got the ju" and "get to you" both fantastic songs. heard a bunch of their stuff and never heard one that doesn't do it for me.. real shame they fell apart alright. :(
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

I had a Jam with cousin Aaron late last year at Aunty Joy's 70th. His attitude towards music was a huge influence on my brother and I when we were teenagers (20 years ago). Weta and Aaron got dumped on by the press when they split up. I believe they were one of the greatest rock bands NZ has ever heard. 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

I have Natural Compression too...
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

DarcyPerry wrote:I have Natural Compression too...
Same, Love it to bits. Still need a copy of Geographica though, anyone got a spare copy?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Aaron is playing the Blues and Jazz Festival down here next week I think.
Cairo Knife Fight
Dan Kennedy on drums I reckon
he's from Goldenhorse and some other famous band whose name escapes me the minute I start typing
were is my Jazz flier?
Lee Ritenour on Wednesday.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

and yes Geographica is a good reckon
they played the Town Hall here one year...
showed Shihad up as a third rate pub band who would one day sound like their getting not only singing lessons but songwriting tips from Jordon Luck.
I better find that flier I'd hate to have this arse about face.

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

I was at that gig and agree, Weta totally killed both shihad and fur patrol that night.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

hamo wrote:The rumours were true!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4685135a1860.html

:shock: :D 8)

Guitargoddess

Post by Guitargoddess »

Weta are getting back together... I saw this on Facebook today..

Dysfunction, fist fights, alcoholism and drug abuse. A reputation as the fiercest live act in the country. Platinum sales of their debut album Geographica - and no band to tour it.

So what exactly happened to Weta? New Zealand audiences are about to find out, as the revered quartet dust off their instruments and hit the stage this November for a limited run of New Zealand dates.

After forming in Wellington in 1995, Weta (comprised of Aaron Tokona on lead vocals, Gabriel Atkinson on guitar, Clinton Tokona on bass and Clinton den Heyer on drums) quickly rose through the ranks to become tour mates of choice for fellow Wellingtonian rock stalwarts Shihad.

They shared the stage with the likes of The Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl is rumoured to be a big fan) and Soundgarden. In fact, Soundgarden’s Ben Shepherd liked Weta so much he gave them a bass guitar.

Despite Shepherd's generous offer, Weta were more interested in a record contract. That came soon enough as the band caught the eye of leading Australian A&R man Dan Hennessy. Soon after Weta signed with Warners Australia, shifted to Melbourne and began touring with Silverchair, The Living End and Powderfinger (Aaron guested on their fifth album, Odyssey Number 5).

The group recorded a demo with former Nirvana engineer Jonathan Burnside, but were unhappy with the results. Enter Steve James, a Grammy nominee and Aria-winning producer who worked with The Sex Pistols, The Jam, and (ahem) The Teletubbies. Weta and James went into pre-production in Sydney with a rumoured astronomical recording budget – and the results spoke for themselves.

The band recorded their debut LP Geographica at Melbourne’s Sing Sing Studios. Released in 2000, Geographica yielded radio hits Let It Go, Got the Ju and the epic Calling On, taking Weta to the top of the Kiwi music charts and securing commercial airplay in Australia.

Weta also won ‘Best Video’ and a nomination for ‘Best Male Vocalist’ at the New Zealand Music Awards.

Geographica left an indelible impression with fans, the press and the music industry in New Zealand and Australia. However, the jump towards the limelight proved to be the beginning of the end for this once happy-go-lucky quartet. Despite the promise of success, the cost of poverty, touring and excessive riders all took their toll. After a sell out tour of New Zealand with Shihad and Fur Patrol, Weta – a band that built its reputation on being loud – suddenly fell deafeningly silent.

The band went their own ways in 2001: Aaron started a family; Clinton Den Heyer opened a bar; Gabriel and Clinton Tokona started another band in Melbourne.

So what’s all this talk of a reunion then? What makes a bunch of guys seemingly sick of the sight of each other reconvene in Wellington to make music together after 7 years apart?

There’s only one way to find out…

http://www.wetamusic.com

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

I'm still looking for a copy of Geographica guys.... :roll:

and Weta are playing Homegrown next year too.