Moderator: Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

New Whitesnake album

Post by Jenesis »

"Obtained" it yesterday, only listened to half of it but it's pretty good so far.

Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich supply the rifferama. 8)

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Re: New Whitesnake album

Post by AmpShop »

Might do some obtaining myself; Beach and Aldrich (particularly Aldrich) were stellar tone-wise and playing-wise at Rock2Wgtn.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

Aldrich was definately the best guitarist I heard at Rock2Wgtn.
Grind 'til your neighbours go blind

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I agree! The tone and feel in his fingers... goddam!

They opened with a new song which sounded awesome...Went something like "these are the best years of my life"... Must have been effing good for me to still remember how it went!

Must pick it up if I see it somewhere...

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Basket Case wrote:I agree! The tone and feel in his fingers... goddam!

They opened with a new song which sounded awesome...Went something like "these are the best years of my life"... Must have been effing good for me to still remember how it went!

Must pick it up if I see it somewhere...

mmm you mean

"when I look back now
those days could have last forever
those were the best years of my life
.......was the summer of 69"

that great old Whitesnake song :D :D :D

just joshing...might buy this myself
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Wash your mouth out! :lol:

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

yeah I picked it up too. Quite impressed with it.

after seeing Aldrich wipe the floor with everyone and hearing the new songs, I really wanted to get it.
AFK.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Basket Case wrote:They opened with a new song which sounded awesome...Went something like "these are the best years of my life"... Must have been effing good for me to still remember how it went!
Yep, "Best Years" is the first track on the album.

Pretty good stuff, very Zakk-ish with myriad pinch harmonics though.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Hmmm ... got Whitesnake's live vid: Live in the Still of the Night. Aldrich and Reb are on guitar, and my main gripe (other than the repeated evidence of Coverdale's narcissism) is that Reb got too few guitar solos, and was mixed too low. I'm fairly underwhelmed by Aldrich. I also got recently a Dio live vid with Aldrich on guitar, and remain underwhelmed. He really just does mindless flash. It works, and it's cool, and I enjoy it - for a while - but it doesn't grab me in any lasting fashion. Reb on the other hand is awesome 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Tsuken wrote:Hmmm ... got Whitesnake's live vid: Live in the Still of the Night. Aldrich and Reb are on guitar, and my main gripe (other than the repeated evidence of Coverdale's narcissism) is that Reb got too few guitar solos, and was mixed too low. I'm fairly underwhelmed by Aldrich. I also got recently a Dio live vid with Aldrich on guitar, and remain underwhelmed. He really just does mindless flash. It works, and it's cool, and I enjoy it - for a while - but it doesn't grab me in any lasting fashion. Reb on the other hand is awesome 8)
Reb's certainly a monster, maybe the equal of Joe Satriani. Unfortunately though he sold his soul for lame-assed hair metal back in the day, and he must reap the harvest of shame and mockery for all time. It's just the way of things.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Poop. I like Winger. 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Well I've given this new album a few spins over the weekend, and after my initial excitement I have to say I'm not all that impressed overall. Like the last Ozzy album, it just feels very plodding and uninspired. The guitar work is good in parts, but has that samey heavy riff feel the whole way through - most of the songs are plain old mid tempo rockers and after about five songs they all blend into one. Very generic, unfortunately.

All is not lost, maybe it will grow on me. I thought the previous Restless Heart was a bit AOR on first listen but now I quite like it. Though it's still AOR.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Tsuken wrote:Hmmm ... got Whitesnake's live vid: Live in the Still of the Night. Aldrich and Reb are on guitar, and my main gripe (other than the repeated evidence of Coverdale's narcissism) is that Reb got too few guitar solos, and was mixed too low. I'm fairly underwhelmed by Aldrich. I also got recently a Dio live vid with Aldrich on guitar, and remain underwhelmed. He really just does mindless flash. It works, and it's cool, and I enjoy it - for a while - but it doesn't grab me in any lasting fashion
Yeah, I can dig that. Though on the new WS album I didn't even pick up on much mindless flash, it all felt like sludgy Wylde-style riffery the whole way through.

I was tossing up (oo-er) whether to get that Whitesnake DVD, but I bought the Duran Duran one instead. ;)

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Had a listen. I thought it was pretty good cheesy fun, though I agree things get samey pretty quick. To be fair, there's a lot of filler dreck on '1987', too.

A pretty good job production-wise, 80s enough yet not too close to the (I'm being very euphamistic here:) 'classic' 1987 sound.

Doesn't sound like a lot of Reb on the record to me. I could pick out maybe one tune where the writing and solo sounded like it was his.

Personally I like both players. Aldrich is more 'meat and potatoes', but does it very well with a nice thick tone. I'm not such a fan of Reb's tone, but I'll give him props for being about the only player I've heard who can fingertap and make it sound natural and not like some lick that's been thrown in. His lines almost approach what horn players do. Plus anyone who survives a Boa constrictor pooping on his pedalboard is fine by me.

Reb will plumb any depth, though. He's been working with Night Ranger recently. He even did the classic hair-dude 'move to Nashville' trick for a while in the 90s.

In other news, I appear to have found a childhood photo of tsuken:

jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?