TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 661 times
Been liked: 566 times

Re: Show us your pedalboard

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 pm
How’s it compare to that current popular RAT based pedal the 1981 DRV?
I haven’t had the pleasure of playing one yet, but the DRV is sort like if you put a buffer in front of the rat, simplified the RC network off the first gain stage to be just have one, swapped the JFET output to an Opamp, and then ran it at 18v internally.

It keeps the hard clipping and filter tone control from the Rat.

I should tease here that I’ve got a circuit I just finished that combines all these ratting elements and makes something absolutely awesome - once I get the artwork done I can’t wait for people to give it a go
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I love it when you talk dirty, Toany

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 942 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Marshmallow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:32 pm Doing a pedalboard overhaul. Took the current vemurams from the large board and moved it to the small board.

Reg's pedal will go to my main board. Butter machine and ods-1 will be added to the large board after I return mid May.

Main board made by cleantones (super awesome dude). Made the top board but not as good. May get the top board made by him too.. 🤣

Should I sell the myriad fuzz for a Janray? Haha

Getting an ods-1 and buttermachine

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 942 times

Post by Marshmallow »

I lied. I'm keeping the fuzz and buying the Jan Ray anyway haha

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Marshmallow wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:38 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:32 pm Doing a pedalboard overhaul. Took the current vemurams from the large board and moved it to the small board.

Reg's pedal will go to my main board. Butter machine and ods-1 will be added to the large board after I return mid May.

Main board made by cleantones (super awesome dude). Made the top board but not as good. May get the top board made by him too.. 🤣

Should I sell the myriad fuzz for a Janray? Haha

Getting an ods-1 and buttermachine
Oh Man! I was looking at the pics of your board and wondering "That's beautiful! How the hell do you guys make things look so tidy...?!"

Then I noticed nothing was plugged in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

half a dozen pages ago I posted V1 of my U2/tribute show direct rig:
v1.jpeg
v1.jpeg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 417 times
While I was getting some decent sounds, I wasn't entirely happy with this rig. I was using amps and overdrives from the Eleven Rack and modulated delays from the M5 and in the end I figured out that the issue was both the Eleven Rack and the M5.
The Eleven rack is a great unit and in general I really like it, but the U2 sounds are all about delays, boosts and random shit in front of the amp, and the more stuff I added in from the of Eleven, the rattier the amp sounded and I was forever tweaking and not really getting to where I wanted.
And finally, two pedalboards and a skeleton rack turned out to be annoying to transport and set up, specially as I didn't have cases for the pedalbaords.

Enter Version 2.0:
441162223_777141584390756_3149342669029800365_n.jpg
441162223_777141584390756_3149342669029800365_n.jpg (421.13 KiB) Viewed 417 times
440018656_3603230836657494_272167488239318481_n.jpg
440018656_3603230836657494_272167488239318481_n.jpg (497.59 KiB) Viewed 417 times
After doing a fair bit of hunting around for bargains over the past couple months, I have picked up (and fixed up) a flight case, an Eventide Timefactor and a UAFX Ruby. The Ruby seems to be quite happy to be slapped around with a whole lot of input on the front end, the Timefactor is a brilliant delay with a silly good vintage delay mode and the Line6 M5 has been relegated to overdrive and special FX. The Edge used Line 6 distortions from about 2004 to 2018 or so, so unsurprisingly, certain modes on that thing sound the business.

I thought I was happy with this rig and tones until a couple of days ago, when I figured out something that took it all up a level. In the Timefactor, you can set two delays with different tempos, and when you do this in stereo, you are swimming through a world of sparkling delays bouncing around your ears and it's quite lovely.

It's also completely inappropriate for U2, because for the most part the delays only have a couple of repeats and there's only one delay.
But I found if you set both delays to the same time, everything gets huge and wide sounding, even though the delays are not ping ponging around.
I think this works because as the delays modulate, the delay times change very slightly, creating that stereo width. Even more fun, I can set only one delay for the verse of a song and it feels good, and then in the bridge I can use two delays at the same delay time, and make every thing feel sound bigger and wider.
This combined with the subtle stereo room reverb in the UA Ruby and occasional stereo reverbs and modulations from the M5 has been rather enjoyable.

There will at some point be a version 2.1 - The boss delay in the pictures is a placeholder, I'd like to add a boost pedal of some sort, and I'd like to get a bypass looper thing so that I can add the boost, compressor and whammy bypass into a preset.

Anyway, that's quite enough geekery for one night, as you were

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3523 times
Been liked: 723 times

Post by Cdog »

Woohoo! Always coveted a Timefactor. Congrats

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 763 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:33 pm Anyway, that's quite enough geekery for one night, as you were
Epic rig dude. Just the M5 for drive sounds? No Boss SD-1?
What you using for amps?
Where are you based and how soon before you start gigging? I'd be keen to come watch.
Nothing to see here.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Miza wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:07 am Epic rig dude. Just the M5 for drive sounds? No Boss SD-1?
What you using for amps?
Where are you based and how soon before you start gigging? I'd be keen to come watch.
Just the M5 at this point. As I said, I want to add a boost and an SD-1 would be the most practical thing, anyone selling one?

M5 does amazingly well as a do everything box, I’ve managed to get the Elevation fuzz sound and the Mysterious Ways filter and more. The only drive sound I haven’t been able to get from it is a loud plexi kind of thing which is needed in a couple of places, but that sound is probably in there somewhere.

Amp is just the UAFX Ruby pedal, as used by the Edge for the Sphere shows.

We’ll hopefully be gigging later this year and planning to play rock’n’roll clubs rather than theatres