matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: NSIALD!

Post by matman »

BG wrote:only thats not actually candy apple red, its fiesta red. As are the two main Mark Knopfler strats....

just sayin' ;)
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Its a fairly important point as it was the first strat in the UK and pretty widely documented...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Benrocky
Gibson

Post by Benrocky »

Actually in hindsight BG is bang on right. Fiesta red has a orange base to it.

Still eds strat is still oh so pretty....
RuBear wrote:
You mean that it's ME that's responsible for you coming here? I'm feel sincerely guilty for putting the rest of you sods through the experience that is Benrocky.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69250680@N07/

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Come on, someone post a Fiesta Red right next to a CAR. Fiesta sounds cooler than Candy Apple. Just saying.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

slash-ed wrote:Come on, someone post a Fiesta Red right next to a CAR. Fiesta sounds cooler than Candy Apple. Just saying.
Its pretty obvious which is which, one is metalic and the other isn't... its not exactly a minor difference.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Oh ok. So Fiesta is the metallic one? Cos the one I have is definitely that one, then.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Fiesta is not metallic. It was originally a Cadillac colour in the '50s, if I remember rightly. Lots of colours from that era were car colours, which is why they're so cool and so iconic of the era.

Ash is building me a Fiesta Strat (I'm a '50s nut and a Knopfler fanboi). Here's a sneak preview of the finish (bear in mind it's not done). I think Fiesta faded to a more orangey and sometimes pink hue over time. It was likely a quite pure red originally.

Most reissues are probably in a more orangey hue. Similar to necks being tinted more amber on reissues than original. People like the aged look, and rightly so.

Pardon the thread-jack

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

The red I used for that is a pure red base tint, no mixing whatsoever. I have a strong suspicion that it is exactly what Fender used in the '50s. Not something mixed to look the same, but the exact same thing.

To clairfy what BG is saying,

Ed's new strat = Candy Apple Red (metallic)
Knopfler's and Marvin's famous old strats = Fiesta red (not metallic)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

so what colour are metallica strats?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Ed, is this the same model as the one Gelato had Frankenstratted? Plywood and all?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

rocklander wrote:so what colour are metallica strats?
Candy Snatching Black.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

ash wrote:Ed, is this the same model as the one Gelato had Frankenstratted? Plywood and all?
Heavens no. This is a "Hot Rod Reissue" series, made between something like 1990-1995, and looks like it got canned eventually because they wanted to push the USA FR Classic series after the FMIC revamp. It was then superceded in the Japanese line-up by the cheaper "Floyd Rose Squier" series (crappier hardware and electronics and whatnot), which is the one I and Owen both owned. Didn't know that one turned out to be plywood!! :shock: It was in a total state of muntedness when I first got it anyway, so pretty suited to its final incarnation I guess!!

This one should be basswood or alder. I suspect basswood, from internet research - not ideal, but it sounds good to me! :)
Last edited by slash-ed on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

The red is not so Cliff Richard looking in these pics, it is actually quite nice. Red strats make me think Shadows, which makes me think Cliff Richard, which in turn makes me think samick, which may be why i have been so adverse to red strats in the past, but this is OK, especially with the black parts. Red and Black is what prostitutes traditionally wear in Italy, so this strat kind of suits a chronic gear whore like you. :lol: :P :mrgreen:

One reason I went for a Gotoh floyd rose apart from the reviews is because the chrome flaked off my last FR Original. I figure the extra cost of the gotoh was worth paying if I could avoid this. So far, so good. Interested to see if this trem's chrome sticks or i just had a bad one.

That Dimarzio pup looks good too.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Aquila Rosso wrote:The red is not so Cliff Richard looking in these pics, it is actually quite nice. Red strats make me think Shadows, which makes me think Cliff Richard, which in turn makes me think samick, which may be why i have been so adverse to red strats in the past, but this is OK, especially with the black parts. Red and Black is what prostitutes traditionally wear in Italy, so this strat kind of suits a chronic gear whore like you. :lol: :P :mrgreen:

One reason I went for a Gotoh floyd rose apart from the reviews is because the chrome flaked off my last FR Original. I figure the extra cost of the gotoh was worth paying if I could avoid this. So far, so good. Interested to see if this trem's chrome sticks or i just had a bad one.

That Dimarzio pup looks good too.
Mate, those pics are from the exact same batch as the original one I posted (in fact one of them is that very pic), so... what you see now is exactly what you saw before :P

We'll see about the chrome flaking, this guitar looks like someone chucked it under their bed for 20 years, so we'll have to give my sweat a chance to get to work :lol:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I suspect that FRs of this age may be better quality than ther new ones, so the chrome may not be an issue.
How do you find the contoured heel? make a difference IYO?

Got to go to spinal unit now for those nerve injections. same nervous feeling as going to dentist. ouch (where is the chicken shit emoticon?)