Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: NGD

Post by mr_sooty »

Polar Bear wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:Look, I don't mean to diss the guitar. Those electromatics are perfectly good guitars for the money. But Tod was saying it wasn't sounding like what he thought a gretsch was so supposed to sound like and I simply pointed out that it was a cheaper version with different pickups so obviously it's not going to sound exactly like a white falcon or a duo jet. I'm sure we're all well aware that the electromatic is a cheaper model in the same way an epiphone is a cheaper Gibson right? I'm also sure I'm not saying anything PB doesn't already know.
I mean a Fender Modern Player is as much a Fender as an American Standard.
And yet there are those who would say that anything made after 1965 isn't a proper fender. ;-)

In any case, I sincerely regret the choice of the word 'proper', perhaps I should have said 'high end'. Let me just go get the egg shells so I can walk on them.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

as long as they're proper egg shells - by proper I mean free range...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

BG wrote:as long as they're proper egg shells - by proper I mean confused mid range...
fix'd
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

NGD

Post by Capt. Black »

Credit where due. I'd like to thank sooty for providing yet another great NZG phrase to slip into 90% of comments for the next year or so. :)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Also - an Epiphone is NOT a cheaper Gibson. Just saying.

A Melody Maker is a cheaper Gibson.

A Faded series V/SG/ whatever is a cheaper Gibson.

A Tribute 60s SG is a cheaper Gibson.

An Epiphone is an Epiphone, and people who call it a Gibson should not be working in music retail. Yes, the word "Gibson" is there in small letters on the truss rod cover. But it's like calling an LTD an ESP, a Squier a Fender, and so on.

Your free range eggs may vary.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

NGD

Post by Capt. Black »

Is a vectra a Holden or an Opel?

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

It's a POS... "proper" one. :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Capt. Black wrote:Is a vectra a Holden or an Opel?
:cry:
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

mr_sooty wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:Look, I don't mean to diss the guitar. Those electromatics are perfectly good guitars for the money. But Tod was saying it wasn't sounding like what he thought a gretsch was so supposed to sound like and I simply pointed out that it was a cheaper version with different pickups so obviously it's not going to sound exactly like a white falcon or a duo jet. I'm sure we're all well aware that the electromatic is a cheaper model in the same way an epiphone is a cheaper Gibson right? I'm also sure I'm not saying anything PB doesn't already know.
I mean a Fender Modern Player is as much a Fender as an American Standard.
And yet there are those who would say that anything made after 1965 isn't a proper fender. ;-)

In any case, I sincerely regret the choice of the word 'proper', perhaps I should have said 'high end'. Let me just go get the egg shells so I can walk on them.
Well, as I said, I'm not offended, so you're welcome to take your eggs. But yeah, you probably wouldn't enjoy it if I said something of yours wasn't proper because it's not $4000 more expensive. Either way, I'm not angry with you Cam, just a bit confused by the whole thing.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Vorbis wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:Is a vectra a Holden or an Opel?
:cry:
a holden has the indicator arm on the right side of the steering column.. and by 'right' I don't mean 'proper'.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Polar Bear wrote: Did you have a 5120 G? If so, what mods, if any did you do to it?
Yes, I had the first variants with the B5 (I think). Mine had De Armonds so it was anything but dark. No mods required. Great guitar and I still play it when I go to my mates who purchased it from me.

First things I would do are:
- Check pickup height. Depress string on last fret and take those p/ups up to a couple of mm's from the string (for the bridge, a further away for the neck). That should probably make a bit of difference if they were too low.
- Check the pot resistance for the volumes....should be 500K but if they're lower that might be making things a little muddy.
- If you're going to change pickups of and on I would recommend some little clip for the live and ground wires so you can clip in others to try before you solder. Working on hollow bodies is ship in a bottle material...requires insanity or alcohol to undertake.

Looks fab!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

rocklander wrote:
BG wrote:as long as they're proper egg shells - by proper I mean confused mid range...
fix'd
I thought this was brilliant. I have nothing offer on the Gretsch other than I just sold a high end Brian Setzer Sig one.

Oh and NFR;NI.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Polar Bear wrote: But yeah, you probably wouldn't enjoy it if I said something of yours wasn't proper because it's not $4000 more expensive.
That's really not what I meant.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

another case of soot on the brain.

enjoy the shit out of that hawt lookin' gretsch, PB.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

I think soot has had his fair share guys...we all have foot n mouth every now and then.Or is that soot n mouth?

Sooty, kidding....we know you weren't actually being vindictive.

PB - let us know how you go with those tweaks!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves