Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

NCD - ROLA content

Post by willow13 »

ok so I got this off DC a couple of months ago but haven't really be able to crank it until today

Image...this is the only pic I have at the moment until I can be bothered taking the head off it to take better ones.

It came to me naked so I have put midnight blue vinyl on it (really thin stuff that will rip pretty quickly but meh whateverz).

This has 4x8 ROLA speakers which I found out was rated at 3ohm (thanks to the greenstone guys and ryan) (wired series/parallel) so re wired it in series to give 12ohms (although my meter reading is telling me its running at around 9ohms working on the 2/3 rule) because the blackstar only has 8 and 16ohm loads. I then realised my idea of running as a stack with my blackstar cab wouldn't work because it would be around 4ohms....so what to do?.... :idea: make a serial box to run it at 16ohms (again my meter is reading around 13.7ohms so the 2/3 rule tells me this is 18ohms :?: )...this puts them it series and was so simple to make

I'm not to good at comparing/reviewing stuff so this probably won't be all that helpful :wink:
To make it easy I will say to anyone who has used the line 6 modeling stuff when the cab was 3 ohms (I ran it very very briefly and quiet when I first got it) compared to the blackstar cab ( which really does capture that big quad feel in a small box) it was like switching from the 4x12 threadplate cab to a 4x12 green 25s. At 12ohms it is kind of in between that.
The clean sound is nice and full and crisp with a very cool break up point when you wack the strings hard (using higher output pick ups anyway...can't test with low/medium because I don't have any :lol: ) and are very responsive to pick attack. They love a bit of gain and really really love a lot of it. I mainly run high gain so they are perfect for what I was after....they have lots of bite and treble punch and very little bottom...but the blackstar cab has that covered.

The best thing is they will not go very loud so are perfect to crank at home and not have divorce papers served....I have been able to have the head at 7 and still be able to stand right next to the speakers :thumbup:

only thing that annoys me is the cab is bigger than my blackstar so the OCD in me isn't handle that to well.....hmm I wonder what a closed back rola cab would sound like :?:

EDIT...I should add that DC's construction of this is top notch. 21mm "housing NZ ply" (its probably thicker than the walls in state houses) top grade by the looks of it...well done that man
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Re: NCD - ROLA content

Post by dc »

Looking good! Yeah the ply, I was afraid the awesome power of the Rolas would smash anything lighter!

It's truck deck! The only birch I could get at the time.

BTW, I've got a few more Rolas if you have any accidents. They seem to pop up on TM occasionally too.