druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Other instruments

Post by druz15 »

calling card wrote:The monkey on your back will press the button for you... http://www.musicplanet.co.nz/keyboards- ... organ.html
awesome, so this one has lighter keys I'd imagine? The keys on the hammond I played were so soft and easy (IB;JB) compared to midi controllers or piano keys
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Needs running in a bit but they felt stiffer ib;jb than I'd have imagined, bit of springback is good for sustaining rhythm. Yeah it's all about those waterfall keys - madness, so shiny & smooth mmmm.

If you want to get into B3 and it's variants plus Vox Continental and Farfisa that NI Vintages Organs is the gateway. Having briefly driven the real thing that software is a formidable thing, it is really that good.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

bbrunskill wrote:I'm not really a dyed-in-the-wool guitarist, I think of myself as a general musicmaker who happens to be better at playing guitar that any other instrument.

I also have a 60's Pearl President drum kit, in Jazz/Be-Bop sizes (18 inch kick, 13 inch tom, 14 inch snare) Slowly upgrading my cymbals and skins to get it sounding as good as it should. Would love to get a second tom for it too one day, I'll never find one with the right finish, but I'd love to find one from the right era. I mostly play with brushes and rods, I like the subtle sound more than the crack of sticks.

A Korg keyboard (can't remember model, but it's from the Triton Series) really nice pads and Rhodes, ok piano sounds.

A Suzuki Glockenspiel, love this thing, I play it lots. Really need to get a bigger one with more notes though!
I've fallen in love with little cheap instruments - my Glock was less then $30 second hand. I also have various cheap shakers for percussion stuff, and I need to get a melodica too, only $30 or so and a sound that sometimes will be awesome to have.

It's amazing when you think about it, there are all these cheap instruments that are not hard to play, but sound cool and can add a really great vibe.

I have a 3 1/2 octave marimba, I made this with my Dad one summer - carved the notes out of Aussie hardwood with a small chisel and built the resonator from ply. It's huge, but sounds very cool.

I intend to build myself a Cajon soon for more percussion goodness.

So yeah, I'm getting a collection of instruments. I see an accordion in my future!
Music is everywhere man, in the wind song of the trees or even in silence. Dad plays organ, he used to play stuff to us on an electric free standing accordian type thing. He eventually stopped playing for us for unknown reasons. I loved those times & told him that at about the time he gave me his accordian. I thought the chord buttons were really cool back then perhaps hinting towards drawbar style organ.
I've got a cheap starter drum kit, got it for the kids about 6yrs ago and it's proved quite indestructible and still sparkles it's electric blue and chrome. Would like to upgrade cymbals & pedal drum but that ain't happening anytime soon.
It's awesome to be able to put the tools of music there and watch & see if the kids run with it. When they do I learn as much too. Man they are hard on leads though.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Started playing the banjo yesterday. Surprises me how loud it is.

Open G bluegrass is not a huge transition from guitar playing.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

crowbgood1 wrote:Started playing the banjo yesterday. Surprises me how loud it is.

:eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

calling card wrote:Music is everywhere man, even in the butt-wind song of my ass.
Dude that's real deep

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

BG wrote:
crowbgood1 wrote:Started playing the banjo yesterday. Surprises me how loud it is.

:eek:
Not to that standard yet!

Genetically modified..that's an unfair advantage
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Redden

turns out that kid wasnt mentally samick

"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

calling card wrote:Needs running in a bit but they felt stiffer ib;jb than I'd have imagined, bit of springback is good for sustaining rhythm. Yeah it's all about those waterfall keys - madness, so shiny & smooth mmmm.

If you want to get into B3 and it's variants plus Vox Continental and Farfisa that NI Vintages Organs is the gateway. Having briefly driven the real thing that software is a formidable thing, it is really that good.
yeah really tempted by that, especially since the Vox Continental is like THE Doors sound right there
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

Good luck! I tried for about 2 years to get the finger rolls working with variable results; it's a lot harder than it looks, and I'm a reasonably capable finger style guitar player, which was half the problem as I always tended to unconsciously drift towards guitar patterns, rather than banjo ones!

I only ever played banjo onstage for "Squeezebox" , "Man of constant sorrow" and the easy bits of "Journey of the Sorceror"...
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

bbrunskill wrote: So yeah, I'm getting a collection of instruments. I see an accordion in my future!
I bought a baby one once, just to give it a go. Even the baby one was a bit of a workout. It was like one of those Charles Atlas Chest Expander thingies :lol: :lol: Loud as, too!
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook