Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

djentleman
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

NGD - Handbuilt Baritone Tele 24 Fret

Post by djentleman »

Hey hi -

Haven't been on here in ages, but thought people might like to see something a little unique.

About 8 months ago I commissioned a friend Frank McLoughlin to build me a totally customised Tele, that was specc'd exactly how I wanted, shaped to me, profiled for my hands, with all the hardware I liked. He runs a fairly successful business, so I just let him potter away at it over the months, and finally, it has arrive in prototype form. Essentially I wanted something a little different, but still really basic on the face of it. I'm a huge Music Man fan so wanted something to compliment my Axis Super Sport and my Petrucci JP6 - here is the creation.

Specs:

(as embarrassing as this is, I've totally forgotten what the body wood is...)
Ebony Fingerboard - 24 frets
27.5 inch Baritone Scale
Music Man style headstock
Schaller ND-6 Locking Tuners (imo, the best locking tuners i've ever encountered)
Hipshot Bridge, thru body string loading.
P90 in the neck, Humbucker in the bridge (both handwound by Frank - overwound - both are very hot, though the specs evade me at present)
Unfinished Neck
Ebony Control Knobs
Mini Toggle Pickup Switch
5-bolt sculpted neck joint
2-way truss rod, neck pickup based roller adjuster

It's set up for 12-60's for Drop C tuning, but these still feel a bit light, so might go up another gauge.

Basically, I wanted the guitar to be as minimalistic as possible. I don't like a lot of fancy bells and whistles personally, so the simpler the better for me. It's not entirely complete yet. It only has one lick of paint, and needs a polish, I'm just playing it in for a few weeks to see if I want to have anything else adjusted in the interim. I also have a graphtec nut coming.

Without further adieu:

And here's some of the build photos:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Re: NGD - Handbuilt Baritone Tele 24 Fret

Post by jeremyb »

HOT!!!!! I love white guitars!! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Excellent - thanks for sharing. I have some GAS for a Baritone gat presently...should be easing in a couple of months....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

That looks great.

djentleman
Stagg
Stagg

Post by djentleman »

Cheers guys,

What I didn't really mention is just how stoked with it I am. I can honestly say the quality, tone and playability is right up there with my 'high-ish' end axes, and it's not even 'finished' finished.

The P90 is totally outrageous. Probably a little hot for most, but I like it that way. I'm still not 100% sure that the bridge pickup is quite ballsy enough for the lower tuning and beefy ish strings. I'm probably going to pick up an Evo or a Crunch Lab for it.

Seriously, for what Franky charges, I am really really thrilled with the result. I already have one of his standard issue Tele's, but there is nothing quite like having a guitar made to fit you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

This is one he just built for himself, based on my Axis Super Sport. This is one lovely guitar. I think I prefer it to my super sport.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Yeah, that looks great. Congratulations! :D
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

santana08
Stagg
Stagg

Post by santana08 »

Beautiful! White guitars always looks timeless :D

Satchriossi
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Satchriossi »

Great choice of colour

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

NGD - Handbuilt Baritone Tele 24 Fret

Post by slash-ed »

Haha that's pretty cool, I actually met him for the first time recently and had this very guitar in my hands. I was a bit puzzled as to why the finish looked so rough but I guess you've explained it! Interested to see what it's like in it's finished state one day.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world