Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Slowy
Right. Took to the scunge with 1000 grit wet/dry and water. All the lumpy , black nastiness is gone leaving the water stain and cloudy finish. This is a massive improvement.

The finish is, of course now satin. Suggestions for re polishing it? Specifically, I have a bottle of automotive scratch and swirl remover. Any reason I souldn't use it?
BY AiRdAd
I'm not sure if I'd use it - I could be a bit harsh - sometimes they can scratch, and can have chemicals in them that designed to 'cut' the paint. You'd still need to polish over it too. It might be a step that you don't need to do - you could go straight to polish.

I've got this 3m stuff that I use first (If I want to buff out any scratches,) then use the maguires three step system. Something like that might bring it up too shiny though - and I don't think you would want that.
BY Slowy
AiRdAd wrote:I'm not sure if I'd use it - I could be a bit harsh - sometimes they can scratch, and can have chemicals in them that designed to 'cut' the paint. You'd still need to polish over it too. It might be a step that you don't need to do - you could go straight to polish.

I've got this 3m stuff that I use first (If I want to buff out any scratches,) then use the maguires three step system. Something like that might bring it up too shiny though - and I don't think you would want that.

True. The un-diseased parts have that soft shine that is the mark of a true vintage guitar.
BY Single coil
Keep wet sanding up to 2000. Get finer if you can.
Then treat it like a car.
Cut it.
Polish it.
Wax it - but leave the wax on for an hour or so so it actually does it’s job.
BY Bg
Single coil wrote: but leave the wax on for an hour or so so it actually does it’s job.

You're using the wrong wax dude, I use maguiers nxt, it is the BEST ever, wipe on, wipe off.
BY Bg
Slowy wrote:Right. Took to the scunge with 1000 grit wet/dry and water. All the lumpy , black nastiness is gone leaving the water stain and cloudy finish. This is a massive improvement.

The finish is, of course now satin. Suggestions for re polishing it? Specifically, I have a bottle of automotive scratch and swirl remover. Any reason I souldn't use it?

dude, without a refinish its always going to be patchy. I'd just use some beeswax over the whole lot and play it. You're overthinking things.
BY Single coil
Bg wrote:You're using the wrong wax dude, I use maguiers nxt, it is the BEST ever, wipe on, wipe off.

Don’t know about wrong as much as traditional.
Wax is supposed to sit and dry before it comes off.
BY Slowy
Apparently I was over thinking things so fukkit, tonight I hit the back and sides with a dose of scratch & swirl remover.
A whole layer of tacky film came off leaving the surface shiny and smooth. The stains and clouding are still there but it now feels like a guitar body should and the un damaged Rosewood areas are gorgeous.
It's no Ramirez but I like it and new strings are in the mail.
BY Single coil
That’s the story
BY jvpp
more pics then?
BY Single coil
Alright arnie, but what about the guitar?

ill get my coat
BY Slowy
In my letterbox tonight was an envelope containing white powder........
Hmmmmm. Took a minute.
Thanks k1w1! :D
BY Single coil
Fun police