dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

New (old) Cab to get the Peavey Crankin

Post by dayl »

I have had to sell off a bunch of stuff including my much loved Jazz chorus to pay for stoopid bills.

I found myself with a 87 Peavey on US wattage that I hadn't tested because I didn't have a cab and no longer had an amp to jam out on....not ot mention a few guitars in need of parts/putting back together TLC etc.

The bills were getting me frustrated (not too badly, life is still damn good) and I was soo gutted that all this gear that I had worked and saved for was being sold for bills and I couldnt even jam out (on gat anyway, synth is a diff story)

So.. I grabbed this....

...and damn Im happy. My finger tips are shredded and my ears bleed haha. 2x12. I x Closed & Ported 1x Open back..all good! the black shadows are sweet.

As for that upside down amp in the pic... I have spoken with Clary and will take it to him when I get the chance. It sounds pretty good as it is but needs a shit load of work. Its a mis-late 80's amp and it appears to still have the original Tubes inside! lol That'll get fixed right after the Voltage is switched and the Crunch & gain Channels start working!!! Lucky it still sounds nice through the Metal Muff for the Mean time.

Enjoy the pretty tubey goodness....I'll work on getting them glowing harder in time.....

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: New (old) Cab to get the Peavey Crankin

Post by robnobcorncob »

Calling me Jealous would be an understatement! those cabs are awesome! Is that an EV and a black shadow?

(Dibs if you ever wanna sell :lol:)

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

robnobcorncob wrote:Calling me Jealous would be an understatement! those cabs are awesome! Is that an EV and a black shadow?

In the top (open) position is the Black Shadow 90w MC-90 and is the bottom enclosure is the Black Shadow Vintage 50w VS-12.

I'm pretty noob with those speakers , so I will have to look them up to learn a little... the ears like them, and thats without an amp running at optimum.

Shot

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

dayl wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:Calling me Jealous would be an understatement! those cabs are awesome! Is that an EV and a black shadow?

In the top (open) position is the Black Shadow 90w MC-90 and is the bottom enclosure is the Black Shadow Vintage 50w VS-12.

I'm pretty noob with those speakers , so I will have to look them up to learn a little... the ears like them, and thats without an amp running at optimum.

Shot
Awesome, check out the mesa forum over at Grailtone: http://forum.grailtone.com/index.php that place is a hub of all information regarding MESA.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

robnobcorncob wrote:Awesome, check out the mesa forum over at Grailtone: http://forum.grailtone.com/index.php that place is a hub of all information regarding MESA.

Sweet site, those guys are onto it!

Ok, so its a 'half back' cab... now I know. also know what to do if the highs get too much etc etc...

yeah, I know what an EV is now... they sound like they would be nice. It sounds pretty sweet as is though.

Cheers for the hook.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

dayl wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:Awesome, check out the mesa forum over at Grailtone: http://forum.grailtone.com/index.php that place is a hub of all information regarding MESA.

Sweet site, those guys are onto it!

Ok, so its a 'half back' cab... now I know. also know what to do if the highs get too much etc etc...

yeah, I know what an EV is now... they sound like they would be nice. It sounds pretty sweet as is though.

Cheers for the hook.
Leave it stock mate ! (otherwise you know who to sell it to) the EV is quite Hi-fi I've been told, I want to to try one out but I'm not sure If It's what I'm after with my Mark III. Even tho the Mark III was designed around the EV 12" speaker.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Yeah mate, I dontneed to be swapping them around or switching out. Sounds good as it is.

Wish I could find out more about the BS Vintage VS-12. not havin luck.

I'll give it an overhaul tomorrow.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

dayl wrote:Yeah mate, I dontneed to be swapping them around or switching out. Sounds good as it is.

Wish I could find out more about the BS Vintage VS-12. not havin luck.

I'll give it an overhaul tomorrow.
I remember reading something about it on the Mesa forum a while back, I'll see what I can dig up.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

dayl wrote:I have had to sell off a bunch of stuff including my much loved Jazz chorus to pay for stoopid bills.

I found myself with a 87 Peavey on US wattage that I hadn't tested because I didn't have a cab and no longer had an amp to jam out on....not ot mention a few guitars in need of parts/putting back together TLC etc.

The bills were getting me frustrated (not too badly, life is still damn good) and I was soo gutted that all this gear that I had worked and saved for was being sold for bills and I couldnt even jam out (on gat anyway, synth is a diff story)

...and damn Im happy. My finger tips are shredded and my ears bleed haha. 2x12. I x Closed & Ported 1x Open back..all good! the black shadows are sweet.

As for that upside down amp in the pic... I have spoken with Clary and will take it to him when I get the chance. It sounds pretty good as it is but needs a shit load of work. Its a mis-late 80's amp and it appears to still have the original Tubes inside! lol That'll get fixed right after the Voltage is switched and the Crunch & gain Channels start working!!! Lucky it still sounds nice through the Metal Muff for the Mean time.

]
Is that the one that was on TM thursday night. You got steal.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Here's a picture of the 4x12" version of your cabinet. It's just double as wide 8)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

the vertical 2x12 is a great Idea.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

TMG 03 wrote:the vertical 2x12 is a great Idea.
+1 The Rectifier vertical 2x12 might be a better option than the horizontal recto 2x12" that I've been eyeing up for ages now. (Same as Basket Case and Marshall have) however it is closed back and has 2x V30s rather than blackshadows and semi-open.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

How much does one of those vertical Mesa cabs cost? Man I have bad GAS for a Mesa setup...
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

slash-ed wrote:How much does one of those vertical Mesa cabs cost? Man I have bad GAS for a Mesa setup...
Verticals are $1499 and Horizontal are $1300 odd at the RS. I tried both types (and black shadows and V30's in the horizontal) and ended up going the horizontal with V30's.
Grind 'til your neighbours go blind

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I was gonna buy the vertical Mesa 2x12...

...but I didn't.