Been liked: 61 times

Re: NAD - Soldano SLO100

Post by higainer »

NIIIIIIICE !!!! 8)

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

That was pretty quick too Matt. Nice prompt service from Soldano!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

Awesome, saw that soldano was listed on the website recently.
Was hoping the avenger was a bit cheaper, cant really justify $4500 on such a bare bones amp (even though its got a pretty good set of bones)

just picked up the sp77 preamp off trademe for my first taste of soldano, got it yesterday but havent "past participle of get" around to playing around with it.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Green Bastard wrote:Awesome, saw that soldano was listed on the website recently.
Was hoping the avenger was a bit cheaper, cant really justify $4500 on such a bare bones amp (even though its got a pretty good set of bones)
Just so you know, that website pricing was indicative only - and I think that reality will be quite a bit lower. I will readdress this shortly, but I am now thinking an Avenger should be around $3,800.
Green Bastard wrote: just picked up the sp77 preamp off trademe for my first taste of soldano, got it yesterday but havent "past participle of get" around to playing around with it.
Oh nice work, they are a cool unit for sure. Definitely can get you into a Soldano frame of mind :-)
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

Cool, may see how the SP77 treats me and decide whether i should eye up an avenger down the line

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Amazing. I can't wait for the full review! Haven't played an SLO but I tried a rev-o-sonic 2x12" combo once which was very cool. Does the snakeskin SLO100 have the warren hayes + depth mods too? if it doesn't could you give us an A/B review?

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 413 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

NZRS_Matt wrote:
LOL - I'm one step ahead of you. Already spent the morning slamming the front end of the CRUNCH setting with an EP Booster, a Boss OD3, a BB Preamp and a TS-9. All different flavours of awesome!!!!
Awesome indeed : )

Try a Maxon SD9 if you can....those seem to be my fave for hitting higher wattage amps.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Niiiicicles!
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

don't forget I have dibs.... ;) nah, but I reckon a SLO Clone is on the cards :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Nice!

I have seen more than one soldano amp come up on trademe for cheap and take a while to sell. Why's this?

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

thehenderson wrote:I have seen more than one soldano amp come up on trademe for cheap and take a while to sell. Why's this?
I guess it depends on ones definition of "cheap" :wink:

Plus I'd factor in the last couple of recession years, along with people having to tighten their belts & concentrate more on the needs than the wants. :(

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

'Cos it doesn't have 'Marshall' on the front in script writing?
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

That said, it looks like a truly nice bit of kit. Don't fergit yer earplugs!
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

robnobcorncob wrote:Amazing. I can't wait for the full review! Haven't played an SLO but I tried a rev-o-sonic 2x12" combo once which was very cool. Does the snakeskin SLO100 have the warren hayes + depth mods too? if it doesn't could you give us an A/B review?

The Snakeskin SLO just has the DEPTH mod.

It's very easy to post an A/B review as both of these mods are completely out-of-circuit when disengaged.

DEPTH MOD
Appears as an extra knob on the front panel (labelled with a dymo labeller hahahaha)

It is effectively a sub-bass control which adds very low end and gives the sound more.....well....depth. The added depth comes at the expense of just a little bit of attack and bite (I'm talking just a tiny bit)

I can already tell how I will use this mod. I think when gigging this amp, I will have the Depth knob all the way OFF. Whilst the SLO is not what you would call a bass-heavy amp, it certainly has enough bass in stock form to create a killer tone. The Depth knob is absolutely fantastic though for playing at home volumes. The SLO really doesn't start coming alive until she gets wound up a bit (at which point it becomes dazzlingly 3-dimensional). If you are playing it at bedroom volumes, then the DEPTH knob really fills out the sound and makes it sound huge.

I also think the Depth knob would be very useful for playing drop-tuned metal with the SLO. It really extends the operating range of the amp.

WARREN HAYNES MOD
Appears on the amp as a small dipswitch immediately next to the BRIGHT switch.

The mod is essentially a "HI CUT" switch that clips off a bit of high-end fizz. It only works on the OVERDRIVE channel, and is only audible at gain levels of 4 or below.

In actual fact, all the switch is doing is disengaging the bright cap from the gain control on the OD channel. Clearly it is for players who are looking for mid-gain tones (with the gain at 4, it is still pretty driven) and want a smooth, more vintage response.

It is a good mod and just makes the amp that little bit more versatile. With the OD channel gain down below 4 and the HAYNES switch ON - the SLO does a pretty good impression of a vintage Marshall running hard - but at any volume.

Guys I gotta tell you this amp is absolutely incredible. Years ago I used to own a Soldano Hot Rod 100+. That thing was a really cool amp. I had always wanted a SLO, but could never afford one back then - so after reading that the HR100 has the same OD channel as the SLO, I figured it could get me most of the way there. Well here's the real story. The HR100 and SLO are clearly very closely related, but they just aren't the same. In terms of voicing - they sound very similar indeed - treble, mids and bass are all in the same place. However there is a quite audible difference between the two. The SLO is somehow more "detailed" and has this hi-fi quality to it - very precise yet without being fatiguing on your ears. It's a very unique quality indeed. The other thing about the SLO is that it is absolutely the most 3-dimensional amp I have ever heard. It seems to deliver all the harmonics of a distorted tone on different soundstage levels. Very difficult to describe, but it is truly awe-inspiring.

The other amazing thing about the SLO that the HR100 couldn't replicate is just how the amp FEELS to play. It is incredible indeed. It just feels very "open" and somehow makes your guitar feel easier to play. It is an experience indeed, and one that (to me) is worth every penny of the huge entry price....

Yes sir - this is a bitchin' amp.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I think we're long overdue a gearfest ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.