The Pedal Echo Thread (no, I dont mean echo pedal)

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: The Pedal Echo Thread (no, I dont mean echo pedal)

Post by Single coil »

Pick up a cheap DD20 and don't look back! If you need more, buy another one and just scare Thom Yorke right outta the stadium.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

DD-20 doesn't excite at all, Nova Delay is pretty amazing tho', but realistically what do you want out of a delay? unless you need to get your edge on and set exact millisecond delay times just get something simpler :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

[quote=“Rhettsauce”]

Hmm, interesting. I'm definitely keen on the Blue Sky because I love the shimmer and it just looks awesome, but maybe I'll rethink the Timeline.

I've owned a DD-20 and it was fine. Is the Nova $200 better? That seems to be the general difference in price 2nd hand.[/quote]

The Nova is WORSE. The delays are too pristine or too obviously dark and tape-y. Hard to get to that happy zone in the middle. I loved my DD-20. I’ve heard the blue Sky, and it does sound amazing, but I think I’d prefer the Stereo WET, which now has a shimmer option.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

bbrunskill wrote: The Nova is WORSE. The delays are too pristine or too obviously dark and tape-y. Hard to get to that happy zone in the middle. I loved my DD-20. I’ve heard the blue Sky, and it does sound amazing, but I think I’d prefer the Stereo WET, which now has a shimmer option.
I've used both an I'd say the exact opposite. Each to their own.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

It's going to be interesting to see what you guys think of my delay pedals on 10Mar13 :)

Madbean Dirtbag (Memory Man Dlux), MB Cavedweller 2 Dub Ed. (two delay chips, not one!), 1776FX Multiplex (I love this thing), and a Grind Customs delay that most likely will not be done by then.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Anyone played with a flashback X4 yet? My alter ego (PGS special edition flashback) sounds amazing IMHO....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

bbrunskill wrote:
“Rhettsauce” wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I'm definitely keen on the Blue Sky because I love the shimmer and it just looks awesome, but maybe I'll rethink the Timeline.

I've owned a DD-20 and it was fine. Is the Nova $200 better? That seems to be the general difference in price 2nd hand.
The Nova is WORSE. The delays are too pristine or too obviously dark and tape-y. Hard to get to that happy zone in the middle. I loved my DD-20. I’ve heard the blue Sky, and it does sound amazing, but I think I’d prefer the Stereo WET, which now has a shimmer option.
I'll definitely look into that WET and if the price is right I'll get it. I like the stock reverb on the Wet better too.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

If I was snooping for a non analogue pedal, I'd check out the strymon brigadier, the malekko 616 or the wampler stuff.
All of those are small, reg power and great sounding. The strymon of course has the tap option. If you can get an akai head rush cheap you'll be sorted too.
I still have a Madbean DMM clone @ 18 volt I'm looking to move on
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Kev77 wrote:If I was snooping for a non analogue pedal, I'd check out the strymon brigadier, the malekko 616 or the wampler stuff.
All of those are small, reg power and great sounding. The strymon of course has the tap option. If you can get an akai head rush cheap you'll be sorted too.
But the Brigadier is a modeller of analogue delay... And the Malekko IS an analog delay, isn't it?

Had a Headrush at one point... Didn't bond with it. ;-)

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

Rhettsauce wrote:
Kev77 wrote:If I was snooping for a non analogue pedal, I'd check out the strymon brigadier, the malekko 616 or the wampler stuff.
But the Brigadier is a modeller of analogue delay... And the Malekko IS an analog delay, isn't it?

I don't consider the malekko, or the new memory boy range analogue .,., its got to be the MN3005 or nuffin. I think kentnz has a brigadier , I'd hit that or the new diamond memory lane JNR, .. Which is digital. But admittedly sounds that absolute schizzle, if I cashed up and went one non analogue pedal it would be the memory lane JNR.... Dammit

( where did I leave my smoking jacket and pipe?)
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Kev77 wrote:
Rhettsauce wrote:

I don't consider the malekko, or the new memory boy range analogue .,., its got to be the MN3005 or nuffin. I think kentnz has a brigadier , I'd hit that or the new diamond memory lane JNR, .. Which is digital. But admittedly sounds that absolute schizzle, if I cashed up and went one non analogue pedal it would be the memory lane JNR.... Dammit

( where did I leave my smoking jacket and pipe?)
And if you had to pick a digital delay to do digital delay?

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

Awh man, an empress delay. I had one for a bit. The white one and it was purty amazing for that sound. And functionality.
Clean like a Mormons bike seat and great options without going overboard. Presets all the wine gums you'd want,
I tried a pigtronix echo lotion at Ryan's once and that thing was a beast,,

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Kev77 wrote:Awh man, an empress delay. I had one for a bit. The white one and it was purty amazing for that sound. And functionality.
Clean like a Mormons bike seat and great options without going overboard. Presets all the wine gums you'd want,
I tried a pigtronix echo lotion at Ryan's once and that thing was a beast,,
Cool. These are all going on the list. :-)

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Rhett, I have Strymon Brig, timeline and Blue Sky. You're welcome to try them if you want to avoid any buy sell losses and further forum mockery. :)

And I have the timeline, I haven't spent enough time with it to really give a proper review, but it does sound awesome. And the brig is amazing. A in, it sounds brilliant, has all that dial in how much analog you want etc and tap tempo. I'd keep it over the timeline if I had to choose. In fact, if Strymon come up with a two-button standard format digital delay, I'd sell the timeline as the feature-set is too, well, complex for me to use on the fly. Having said that, all I need to do is spend time with it, setting up loads of presets then it all becomes simple again, you know?

And saying all that, I'm selling a spare Maxon AD999 to fund the purchase of a DD20. It was my first digital delay and still a great pedal. I want to have it handy for my acoustic bashing.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

And I used to have the Empress Delay, but sold it. Something in the tone of it I didn't like. Great pedal though. Just not as good as the Timeline. ;)
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...