Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

head_strong
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 5 times

NAD Valve Junior

Post by head_strong »

Picked this up tonight of Scooter13 (cheers again man).

Super impressed so far, very warm and rich though humbuckers. Sounds much more thin and harsh with my strat (crappy SX) but thats more than likely the guitars fault. BIown away by how loud it is though, will need to invest in a dirt pedal to keep things at respectable volumes. So yeh, grinning from ear to ear at this stage.

Was getting a bit sick off all the knobs (I said knobs) and things to play with on my Vox and wanted something more pure so this fits the bill nicely. Just need a couple of pedals to stick in front of it and ill be a happy chappy.

(excuse all the pics, just got a new camera so snap happy)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Re: NAD Valve Junior

Post by hamo »

Congrats man, that's a steal. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Oh it's the combo! Nice! I was going to pick one of these up a few years back but the RS had sold out of the combo, the head sounded awesome though.

And yeah 5W is still plenty loud enough :D

Enjoy :)
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

head_strong
Squier

Post by head_strong »

I thought it was the head also when I contacted Scooter so was also pleasantly surprised :D

I have it at about 9 oclock and its easily bedroom level. sounds magical clean though. will open 'er up in the weekend and see how it sounds.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Way cool - there's a real place for these smaller valve amps (5 watts)...heading for one myself (again!)
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

head_strong
Squier

Post by head_strong »

For sure, I think some people just expect something else, so when it doesnt deliver (what they want) they say they're shit

Have been doing a bit of reading and dreaming over some mods that are out there for this (gain wise).....should really just invest in some pedals I guess.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Way cool - there's a real place for these smaller valve amps (5 watts)...heading for one myself (again!)
again again.... you just sold one to me *sigh*
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

head_strong wrote:For sure, I think some people just expect something else, so when it doesnt deliver (what they want) they say they're shit

Have been doing a bit of reading and dreaming over some mods that are out there for this (gain wise).....should really just invest in some pedals I guess.
Do the mods, it's way more fun!

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I have Darcy Perry's Valve Jnr head... it's ace! 'Marshall Modded' I believe with Sprague caps and prescence control etc. Don't expect much headroom but the class-A purity is very cool. Max it out through a 2x12 cab and you get a great reedy sounding sag... not tight Marshally IMO but just a very cool, loose, overloaded EL-84.... kinda "brown sound"ish. Super quiet operation (no background hiss/hum.. at all = great for studio) and 4/8/16 ohm output makes it pretty versatile. I wouldn't band gig with it unless doing an ambient solo set at a cafe or something, but for what it is it's fantastic. Ditto the Laney Cub 10. Damn convenient for travelling too.

head_strong
Squier

Post by head_strong »

Wicked!

My thoughts for pedals over modding is to keep the headroom really. can alwasy take away a pedal/turn it off to clean things back up up, but you cant just rip out the mods if that makes sense.

Cheers

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Glad you're happy mate!
I reckon it sounds really nice with the neck postition of strats. But without turning the gain/vol up, try rolling back the treble a tiny wee bit on the bridge of the strat. You'll tame some of the harshness. (unless it really is the strats fault).
I'm pretty sure they are JJ tubes in there, which were a large improvement over whatever they were before that.

There's something about seeing pics of gear on this forum, that makes you want it....even if it used to be yours! :P

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

BG wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:Way cool - there's a real place for these smaller valve amps (5 watts)...heading for one myself (again!)
again again.... you just sold one to me *sigh*
Dibs on the next one?

Actually need a very small one...the bellbird was a real mans amp...need a woos's amp.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

*UNIQUE* wrote: Actually need a very small one....
*cough* *cough* *splutter*
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

head_strong
Squier

Post by head_strong »

Scooter13 wrote:Glad you're happy mate!
I reckon it sounds really nice with the neck postition of strats. But without turning the gain/vol up, try rolling back the treble a tiny wee bit on the bridge of the strat. You'll tame some of the harshness. (unless it really is the strats fault).
I'm pretty sure they are JJ tubes in there, which were a large improvement over whatever they were before that.

There's something about seeing pics of gear on this forum, that makes you want it....even if it used to be yours! :P
Cheers man. Yeh after a wee play with the guitar I was able to get it sounding a lot nicer. Its quite amazing how many different sounds you can get out of the little thing with only a volume knob! h

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

Theres a 5E3 conversion kit you can get for these, throws away most of the junior tho'...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.