Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

NFRD

Post by bender »

Don't get excited Dave- I'm not talking about a new Floyd Rose.

New Field Recorder day!

I've been getting good results with my little Sony PCM-M10 but really wanted the extra flexibility of being able to use external mics so I sold it and bought this:

It's got two pairs of built in mics (wide omni and XY cardioid), 4 external inputs (2 XLR/TRS combo inputs and 1 stereo minijack) and can record up to 6 tracks at a time using any combination of inputs. The interface is fairly easy to use and most features are accessed via the touchscreen display (!) but it also has great big knobs for controlling input levels.

First impressions are relatively favourable- the stereo image of the XY mics seems to be pretty good and the preamps seem pretty quiet but the true test will be recording quiet ambiences. I'll be using it for recording band practices/gigs as well as sound effects and ambiences for the TV shows and films that I work on as part of my day job. The one major down side is that it's huge. The Sony I had was only a bit bigger than a small smart phone so the loss of convenience is a bit of a bummer. I'm sure I'll get over that when I plug in my stereo ribbon mic rig though!

I'll be adding a proper windsheild next (see afro below) and will eventually get a shotgun mic in a blimp for recording spot effects (or an M/S rig if I can stretch that far).

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Re: NFRD

Post by twistedthoughts »

What are these worth? Would they do a reasonable job of recording a live gig?

Fuck that afro pic is hilarious!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

bender
Darth Fader

NFRD

Post by bender »

I've been getting pretty good results recording practices from the Sony I had before this and that was only about $500 or so. these ones are quite a bit more expensive but I got a great deal on this one on Trademe. I'll post some examples of both recorders once I've used this one to record a practice.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

The Captain better look out, First Mate Benny Bones is catching up to him!

Seriously though, looks like fun :) Defo better than a handycam, then? The bass on those is nonexistant, like a pair of tin cans with string.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

NFRD

Post by Capt. Black »

Way cool.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1377 times
Been liked: 2107 times

Post by GrantB »

ash wrote:Image
Recognition post.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

benderissimo wrote:as well as sound effects and ambiences for the TV shows and films that I work on as part of my day job.
............ Oh heck - is your company hiring? :thumbup:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Sadly no...

Fire me your CV if you like though.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

benderissimo wrote:Don't get excited Dave- I'm not talking about a new Floyd Rose.

New Field Recorder day!

I've been getting good results with my little Sony PCM-M10 but really wanted the extra flexibility of being able to use external mics so I sold it and bought this:

It's got two pairs of built in mics (wide omni and XY cardioid), 4 external inputs (2 XLR/TRS combo inputs and 1 stereo minijack) and can record up to 6 tracks at a time using any combination of inputs. The interface is fairly easy to use and most features are accessed via the touchscreen display (!) but it also has great big knobs for controlling input levels.

First impressions are relatively favourable- the stereo image of the XY mics seems to be pretty good and the preamps seem pretty quiet but the true test will be recording quiet ambiences. I'll be using it for recording band practices/gigs as well as sound effects and ambiences for the TV shows and films that I work on as part of my day job. The one major down side is that it's huge. The Sony I had was only a bit bigger than a small smart phone so the loss of convenience is a bit of a bummer. I'm sure I'll get over that when I plug in my stereo ribbon mic rig though!

I'll be adding a proper windsheild next (see afro below) and will eventually get a shotgun mic in a blimp for recording spot effects (or an M/S rig if I can stretch that far).
For the optically challenged...what is it?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

aliasceiza wrote:For the optically challenged...what is it?
It's a field recorder, you use it to record fields. Ben's got some great recordings of the sound of carrots growing, you really should check some out.

*yes I know, I'm not funny....
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I can hear the grass grow.

http://youtu.be/lxWhoOxqPGA
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

NFRD

Post by Capt. Black »

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Danger Mouse wrote:
It's a field recorder, you use it to record fields. Ben's got some great recordings of the sound of carrots growing, you really should check some out.

I lolled :mrgreen:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

ash wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:

I lolled :mrgreen:
:D

The main thing is Ben's been super awesome letting me borrow a mic for 2 weeks so I didn't want it to seem like I was taking the piss out of him... yet there was a dumb joke there waiting for me and I couldn't resist... :oops:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.