Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times

Awkward NAD: Egnater Rebel 30 combo!

Post by twistedthoughts »

Right, so after dragging a JVM410H and Marshall 1960A everywhere for the past two years, I finally got around to buying an amp more suitable for small bars / weddings and any corporate gigs where set up time and / or space is limited. The decision was made rather easy due to an exceptionally great deal from...

[awkward] Simon (nzsimon1 who BG recently banned because...actually, I don't know) [/awkward].

Egnater Rebel 30 1x12 combo

This amp is ridiculously gig-friendly. It is light, small and packed with far more features than any amp should have at this price point including:

- Two actually great sounding, fully usable, flexible, FOOTSWITCHABLE channels
- Series effects loop
- Separate reverbs for each channel that actually sound good!
- Separate EQ for each channel (although clean doesn't have a mid control for some reason :eh: )
- Separate variable wattage control for each channel between 1w - 30w
- Separate "tight" and "bright" switches for each channel
- A tube mix control enabling you to use all EL84, all 6V6 or a blend of your choosing
- An XLR direct output so you can go straight to the mixer
- A silent recording option so you can mute the speaker while using the direct output
- A gig-worthy thick padded cover
- It weighs nothing (compared to a 100w head and 4x12 cabinet :lol: )

In all its glory:

Sans awesome cover!!!

Top panel showing the incredible array of controls on this bad boy:

Back panel with reverb controls, effects loop, direct out, footswitch and power plugs

I could not be happier with this amp. It was clearly designed for gigging...or at least it was clearly designed for the type of gigging I do. The clean is just stunning and stays clean for ages, not that I've had to push the amp because it's incredibly loud. It also plays nicely with my BB Preamp so I can go from clean to some nice grit using just that channel.

On the dirty side it has a thick, sustaining, ballsy sound that again (coincidentally) seems to love my BB Preamp. So I have four levels of gain to choose from - plenty enough to get me through any gig from sparkling cleans through to 80's hair metal.

The channels and reverb are both footswitchable although I just set the reverb quite low and leave it on. I've read great things about the direct output, but I haven't tried it and don't have particularly high hopes for it (don't need it anyway). The speaker is some Celestion thing that I've never heard of and will more than likely be replaced with the V30 I just bought from higainer. The tube mix doesn't really affect the sound dramatically, although it is important to note that when it is fully tuned to either 6V6 or EL84, the amp only puts out 20w. It's 30w in the central position. The variable wattage controls affect headroom slightly on each channel, but add more of a spongy feel. I have mostly left them on full but may experiment further with lowering the clean channel wattage to help cover some of my shit playing :P .

In short, this amp does it all and does it WELL. I'm over the moon with it. Around this point is where I would thank Simon for the great price and excellent service, but I probably shouldn't :mrgreen: :shh: :wave: .

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Awkward NAD: Egnater Rebel 30 combo!

Post by Kiwiaxe »

The big question? Or are you sworn to secrecy?

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

That's awesome. I like a good, sensible, 22kg 1x12 combo.

You also just validated Simon's forum existence. You are a good person.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Simon's back anyway.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3501 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Congrats... thats a nice amp.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Nice one man!
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

He was banned because all the mods/admins had told him to cut out the constant spam and go through appropriate channels but he didn't get the message. He still hasn't and I'm aware that 32ford is him as he just used his normal email. Once I'm back in front of a pc he will be banned by ipaddress too. I'd decided on a 6 month ban, but an extra 3 for every sername he adds...

Nice ams though :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7747 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

What made you chose the Rebel over say.. the Tweaker?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

These amps have always interested me but they don't seem to get much attention here. Would be for an in depth review. Seems like the perfect affordable combo amp... Heaps of tweak-ability.

Is the tone more Marshally or Fendery?

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

Kiwiaxe wrote:The big question? Or are you sworn to secrecy?
Hmmm...I'll go secrecy. I feel like it was a pretty damn good price though. This amp has a freakish number of tonal options! Funnily enough, the padded cover excited me the most as I was planning on getting a custom made cover for it. Easily $100 saved!
Rhettsauce wrote:That's awesome. I like a good, sensible, 22kg 1x12 combo.
It's also tiny and comfortable to carry with one hand. The other guitarist moved down to a Fender HRDx and this is smaller height and width-wise, but is slightly deeper.
slash-ed wrote:Simon's black anyway.
Such unnecessary racism! :mrgreen:
Cdog wrote:Congrats... thats a nice amp.
It sure is. It will probably make an appearance at the next Christchurch gearfest assuming I don't end up with a gig that day.
hamo wrote:Nice bone man!
Not sure how you know, but I appreciate the compliment anyway! :thumbup:
BG wrote:Nice amp though :)
Well I messed with your one and it makes more sense now. :eh: Thanks though! :lol:
jeremyb wrote:What made you chose the Rebel over say.. the Tweaker?
I wasn't quite sure that 15w would be able to do the job. The range of tonal options makes the Rebel 30 unbeatable as well and built-in reverb essentially means that I can use the same pedalboard between this amp and my JVM410H. Perfect!
Rhettsauce wrote:Is the tone more Marshally or Fendery?
Neither, really. I'd say it's Egnatery, but that probably leans more toward Marshall than Fender.

Many churs all round though, lads. It's not as fun to play as a half-stack, but it certainly sounds the part and gets miced at every gig anyway. My back is already thanking me.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

I'm not sure if many of the tweakers cool switching options are footswitchable, I was looking at them a while back, so the rebel is probably more giggable!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

aliasceiza wrote:I'm not sure if many of the tweakers cool switching options are footswitchable, I was looking at them a while back, so the rebel is probably more giggable!
None of the original Tweaker functions are footswitchable - it's single channel.

The newer, higher wattage Tweakers give you switching options, though I doubt we will see any in the country.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Thomas234
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Thomas234 »

Woah Nice amp!
The philosophy of "technically", is technically not a philosophy
because there are still many technicalities, although technically
speaking it can technically still be a philosophy, but it all
depends on how you can technically see technically, technically.