kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

New Esquire and Strat day!

Post by kdawg2a »

After much deliberation I sold my Gretsch 5120 to the singer in my band (I figure that means I can still use it whenever I want) and used the money to make these!
There's been a lot of Esquire love on the forum as of late and i've always been pretty keen on them so here's my version;
phpShW61PPM.jpg
This was made from a 1 piece Alder body I made years ago. The colour is 'Luar green' which is an old 50's custom colour which i've only ever seen one reference to on a '55' P Bass in the fantastic book 'Fender, the golden age' by Kelly and Foster. I used an All parts fat D neck that has the 1 inch thick profile the whole way along, chunky! Pick up is a hot 7.3k GFS '63' professional series.
phpSUX03lPM.jpg
I also decided to make another Strat. You can't have enough Strats really can you? I've always liked the Dick Dale Fender so here's my tribute to that!
phpR0TQkEPM.jpg
Yep, it's in gold sparkle! Once again, all parts neck with the same profile as the Esquire and this has a set of Seymour SSl-1s. I used those same pick ups in my fiesta red Strat and i've found them great pick ups especially for the price.
I still have a little more work to go, file the nut, set up and wire up, but they should be running by the end of the weekend.
Whens the next gearfest?!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Re: New Esquire and Strat day!

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

:thumbup:
Nice one.
That tele looks awesome and good work on the strat. Used an ssl 1 in a fernandes strat I did up for my brother. Great sounding pup.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Superb! And yes, next gearfest, hmmmm, anytime after my new pickups arrive :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote:Superb! And yes, next gearfest, hmmmm, anytime after my new pickups arrive :mrgreen:
I'm keen for anytime after Easter.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Superb! And yes, next gearfest, hmmmm, anytime after my new pickups arrive :mrgreen:
I'm keen for anytime after Easter.
Lock and load.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

Cool Esquire. I sometimes think about putting a Bigsby on mine, but it would feel sacrilegious to me since it's supposed to by my tribute to Luther Perkins' guitar. I liek the '60s look you've got going on. I know it's a '50s colour but that mint guard and rosewood fingerboard scream '60s. I quite like this Esquire + Bigsby too.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

twangnsnarl wrote:Cool Esquire. I sometimes think about putting a Bigsby on mine, but it would feel sacrilegious to me since it's supposed to by my tribute to Luther Perkins' guitar. I liek the '60s look you've got going on. I know it's a '50s colour but that mint guard and rosewood fingerboard scream '60s. I quite like this Esquire + Bigsby too.

Do vibramate make something for a tele?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

nom nom

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

twangnsnarl wrote:Cool Esquire. I sometimes think about putting a Bigsby on mine, but it would feel sacrilegious to me since it's supposed to by my tribute to Luther Perkins' guitar. I liek the '60s look you've got going on. I know it's a '50s colour but that mint guard and rosewood fingerboard scream '60s. I quite like this Esquire + Bigsby too.

Esquire custom! God I love those! I've got a Rimu tele body in the works, it might end up becoming one of those. I just need the correct router bit for the edges. Anyone know where to get one?

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

AiRdAd wrote:
Do vibramate make something for a tele?
Yes.
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/vibramate- ... aster.html
Still wouldn't convince me to put one on my Esquire though.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

There's been a lot of Esquire love on the forum as of late and i've always been pretty keen on them so here's my version;
Nice one, like that colour too. Did you round the edges? Hard to see on the pic. I am contemplating building a Tele but giving it Strat like body contours....
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

jvpp wrote:
Nice one, like that colour too. Did you round the edges? Hard to see on the pic. I am contemplating building a Tele but giving it Strat like body contours....
It's got the more square 60's style rounded edge. You should do it. Teles are a great build platform to customize to your own ideas.