Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

NAD- Funky old Fender Bandmaster

Post by bender »

This has been in the pipeline for a little while now- bought on the cheap via Reverb, imported via Youshop (painlessly), then off to Clarry for a transformer rewind and full check-up. I picked it up on Tuesday and finally had a chance to give it a test drive this morning.
It was in pretty rooted condition when it arrived, but the circuit was mostly sweet. Clarry has worked his magic and given it a clean bill of health as well as some really nice subtle tweaks to make it as robust as possible. It's a 1967 Silverface Bandmaster, but that was a transition year so the specs are identical to a Blackface model. Running on 5881 power tubes @ roughly 25watts clean and 40watts max. It's ball-rattlingly loud.

I've been playing it through the Celestion Gold in R2D2 (Reverberocket based custom build by Ryan @ The Amp Shop) and it sounds awesome!
This is my matched set- 1967 Fender Coronado -> 1967 Fender Bandmaster. Utterly glorious.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Re: NAD- Funky old Fender Bandmaster

Post by Bg »

Nice :) not keen on silverface but as its really a blackface in sheeps clothing, then big thumbs up :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Bg wrote:Nice :) not keen on silverface but as its really a blackface in sheeps clothing, then big thumbs up :D
From what I can tell, a lot of the early Silverface amps are pretty good as-is. It's only the higher wattage ones with master volumes that start getting a bit pants. I'm going to convert this to a combo, and am toying up getting a blackface front panel for it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Post by Bg »

they're pretty easy to convert back to blackface anyway, according to Gerald Weber, and he should know :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 368 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by vintage52 »

Lovely!!
Wellington

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

very nice.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1017 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

Time to arrange the Battle of the Bandmasters?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Don't convert it, or get a blackface thing. It looks cool as fuck with its shining blotchy silver face plate.
It's cool. Tres cool.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

How much did the clarryfication cost? Always wondered about doing something like this
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

MattAnt wrote:How much did the clarryfication cost? Always wondered about doing something like this
From memory I was quoted around ? $150-170 by him recently

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MattAnt wrote:How much did the clarryfication cost? Always wondered about doing something like this
I asked him to 'do everything' on my Jansen. When I picked it up, he said he'd lubed, checked and replaced whatever needed it, added an impedance selector because he thought it would be useful and proclaimed the amp good for another 50 years.
Then he charged me $110. 8)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Glad to see you got there eventually Ben. Looks very cool in the smaller non reverb case.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Slowy wrote:
I asked him to 'do everything' on my Jansen. When I picked it up, he said he'd lubed, checked and replaced whatever needed it, added an impedance selector because he thought it would be useful and proclaimed the amp good for another 50 years.
Clarry is a legend
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MattAnt wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Clarry is a legend
He's a national treasure for sure.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Depends on the state of it. $150 ish for the transformer rewind plus whatever additional parts and labour are required.