Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

NAD Soldano

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Picked this up...

Sounded crap at first but replaced the input tube, biased it (it was way hot) and added the depth mod and now its pretty cool. I played it through the Laney speakers (2x12 combo) and it was very nice so I want to replace the Soldano X12000's with some G12H30's to give it a bit more bottom end. May try some new tubes too like KT66's.

20170309-170349.jpg
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: NAD Soldano

Post by handsoffmatt »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sounded crap at first but replaced the input valve, biased it (it was way hot) and added the depth mod and now its pretty cool. I played it through the Laney speakers (2x12 combo) and it was very nice so I want to replace the Soldano X12000's with some G12H30's to give it a bit more bottom end. May try some new valves too like KT66's.
Classic Soldano. Find it a little thin and lacking bottom end?
Turn the volume UP and give yourself the "aha!" moment. Soldano magic starts at around 4 on the volume knob

Unfortunately, that means the rest of your neighbourhood will be sharing the experience....

I've had less than satisfactory experiences with G12H30's and Soldanos. If you must change speakers, then I would recommend G12M's or G12T-75's as a starting point.

However, I'd suggest a cheaper and more effective route to compensate for the amp's low-volume shortcomings would be to play around with an EQ in the FX loop.

Just my $0.02. Happy NAD and I hope you find the same irreplaceable Soldano feeling that I get playing mine!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Thanks Matt, I owned one of these before and the depth mod makes a big difference at lower volumes, you can just dial it out at higher volumes. My last one had G12T-75's in it already and I replaced them with V30's which seemed to work pretty well. The Laney has a G12H30 & V30 and it sounds really nice through that combination. I think the X12000's would be better in a closed back cab.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Thanks Matt, I owned one of these before and the depth mod makes a big difference at lower volumes, you can just dial it out at higher volumes. My last one had G12T-75's in it already and I replaced them with V30's which seemed to work pretty well. The Laney has a G12H30 & V30 and it sounds really nice through that combination. I think the X12000's would be better in a closed back cab.
Isn't that tolex just the hottest!!! Just such a cool looking amp!!!

My hot rod 50 had the depth mod done before I got it, and I hated. Ryan put a dial on on it so that you could dial in just the right amount of depth, and it was great!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Last edited by Molly on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have put a dial on the back of this amp too which means you can dial the mod right out.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Picked this up...
Y' welcome

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I have put a dial on the back of this amp too which means you can dial the mod right out.
Yeah, that's what Ryan did. So useful eh
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Thanks Matt, I owned one of these before and the depth mod makes a big difference at lower volumes, you can just dial it out at higher volumes.
Yeah, I have the depth mod in my SLO and very rarely use it cos i don't like how it slightly "sags up" the feel of the amp. Again, I totally recommend an EQ pedal in the loop as being an awesome solution at lower volumes. Actually it's great at ANY volume for tuning the amp to the room...
sizzlingbadger wrote:My last one had G12T-75's in it already and I replaced them with V30's which seemed to work pretty well. The Laney has a G12H30 & V30 and it sounds really nice through that combination. I think the X12000's would be better in a closed back cab.
Hahahaha sounds like we have quite different taste, as I didn't like either G12H30 or V30 with my Soldano. Ahhhh the beauty of tonal opinions.

Sounds like you're all over it in any case! Have a blast and enjoy your new amp! Congrats! 8)
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

I just liked this post

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Best thing is... it was cheap enough for me to consider keeping the Laney and having two amps.

Bunnings tomorrow for some rubber feet, the castors were missing on this one.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Best thing is... it was cheap enough for me to consider keeping the Laney and having two amps.

Bunnings tomorrow for some rubber feet, the castors were missing on this one.
Run that shit in stereo! Ooh yeah. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

You definitely should keep them both, they couldn't be more opposite from each other

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Does Gearmandude know you have his white coily cable?

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

How close do the Jet City JCA22H units get to these full on Soldanos?
I have the JCA with the depth mod and I think it rocks for what it is, but curious.

I tend to take the JCA head to practice vs my Marshalls now, lighter and with just a clean boost its all I need for varying rock tones.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..