Anyone had that 'too much is too much' funk?

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Anyone had that 'too much is too much' funk?

Post by null_pointer »

There is no room for a Voice of Reason on this forum. We come
here for enablement not sensibility.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mmm learnt a valuable lesson when I started playing in a group, the toans I'd crafted in my bedroom sounded great in isolation but got lost in the mix, you end up turning up to make up for it but it's all about the EQ....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Yep. I HATE 80's rock/metal toan in isolation. Sounds great in the context of the music, but you try separating them and they sound thin and reedy.

And whiny. And Nasally. And, I dunno, MICK MARRSSSYYY.

Nothing saves 80s new wave guitar though. Only cool sounds were Robert Smiths, everything else is 'guitar trying to be a synth'.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

jeremyb wrote:Mmm learnt a valuable lesson when I started playing in a group, the toans I'd crafted in my bedroom sounded great in isolation but got lost in the mix, you end up turning up to make up for it but it's all about the EQ....
I hadnt played in a group for about 20 odd years and also learnt this quickly through frustration. I think reading online content also helped as back in the old days information on cutting through didnt exist in my small town.

I sense the other guitarist in my current group is struggling with it though, multi effects unit has some cool sounds and tones, but once we all fire up it vanishes. I think the lack of mids and overuse of reverb which sounds o.k at home kills it in the band.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

chur wrote: .... lack of mids and overuse of reverb .......
Recipe for instant invisibility.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

GrantB wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Constant upgrades to products and the need to have the latest model.
I'm heading in the other direction...
Constant downgrades and a need to have the oldest model?

Well, step this way sir: I have a broken 15 year old Samick Practice amp with your name on it.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Well that didn't help one bit. I have one less pedal, amp and guitar.

And two new guitars.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

null_pointer wrote:Well that didn't help one bit. I have one less pedal, amp and guitar.

And two new guitars.

Lol, what did you get?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

There might be another Strat and Jag in the stable as a result. GOOD Fenders, mind you...

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

null_pointer wrote:Well that didn't help one bit. I have one less pedal, amp and guitar.

And two new guitars.
I can relate to this..every time I try to downsize I end up with more...pleased its not just me though..

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

null_pointer wrote:There might be another Strat and Jag in the stable as a result. GOOD Fenders, mind you...
Molly's Johnny Marr Jag? What did he get?
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

opsguy wrote:

And two new guitars.
I can relate to this..every time I try to downsize I end up with more...pleased its not just me though..
At least we feel responsible....for five minutes.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

TmcB wrote:
GrantB wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Constant upgrades to products and the need to have the latest model.
I'm heading in the other direction...
Constant downgrades and a need to have the oldest model?

Well, step this way sir: I have a broken 15 year old Samick Practice amp with your name on it.
Not quite what I had in mind.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:
null_pointer wrote:There might be another Strat and Jag in the stable as a result. GOOD Fenders, mind you...
Molly's Johnny Marr Jag? What did he get?
I got this:

Stumbled on this following links related to an EVH Strat (f'k knows why). Seemed appropriate for this thread:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Good thread. I'm in the boat of more and more not caring two hoots about the gear, (trying not too, anyway) as long as it works and doesn't sound terrible. I decided a few years ago that I wanted to be a gigging musician, not a play at home for my own enjoyment type musician, and I think too much thinking about gear actually moves me further away from my goal, not closer.

(zero offence meant to the guys who are stay at home musicans!)

When I'm in a gear mad phase, I muck around on the internet and waste lots of time on Trade Me. When I have gigs on, instead I practice guitar, learn songs, write stuff, make demos, etc. And that's the stuff that I really want to achieve.

I've had 5-6 really good guitars, 3 really good tube amps, 10+ good ODs, 15+ good delay pedals, and what I've realised is that what I really need in my rig is simple:

One really good guitar with a chimey tone and hopefully a warmish rather than bright neck pickup
Tuner pedal
Volume pedal for playing slide guitar
One overdrive with flat rather than boosted mids
One boost or overdrive with boosted mids
Either two delays, one tap tempo bright, one warmer, OR a single delay pedal with a few presets
Either an amp on a normal stage, or some sort of amp modeling thing on an IEM stage

Nice bonus: Tremolo and Reverb pedals (or built into amp)

I honestly think I could play every single gig I have ever played on that rig. And so I sort of intend to stick with it, to focus on songs and music rather than gear.

And really, in the long term scheme of things, the exact brands or specifications of these things doesn't really matter. I love my Rickenbacker to bits, but I could play a Tele with a neck humbucker, or a Dano U2 with the neck pickup replaced for something hotter, or a Gretsch, they all chime in the bridge and are a bit fatter in the neck.
Same thing for amps, my preference is towards a low-gain Marshall sound, but who cares if I get it with an Orange, a Sansamp, a Logic Plugin or a Marshall 1974x. Crowd doesn't care in the slighest and in context with the rest of my musical life, I don't either.

Hopefully when I get back to NZ, I'll finally start an original band, probably join a covers band, plus sound engineering, and I'll be back to the point where I'm out gigging every weekend and thrashing the gear I have

(although I need to buy an amp quite badly)