Anyone had that 'too much is too much' funk?

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Anyone had that 'too much is too much' funk?

Post by null_pointer »

Pulled out the Jackson Ampworks Scarlett 30 yesterday, plugged it into the EVH 1x12 with the Fane AXA12 speaker. Played for 10 mins, couldn't land a tone I was happy with using my Tele.
Swapped the head over to the Dr Z 2x12, things improved a bit, however in the meantime I'd chucked the Matchless Nighthawk on top of the Fane, and that sounded pretty good.
Swapped to the Virage, everything sounded pretty decent, including the Mojado I had beside it.
Plugged in my main pedal board, switching through the amps and swapping in the Caribou as well as the Suhr.

2 hours later, I hadn't landed anywhere I stayed for more than 2-3 mins. Too many variables, too many options.

I'm not going to bitch and moan about having a bunch of great gear, but too wide a choice is sometimes not a great thing. I've got a practice on Tuesday, and you know what? I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to pack out for it. I don't have a go-to that immediately springs to mind. I'll literally walk into the gear room and make a choice on the spot, partially driven by 'how heavy is this stuff, and is it raining out?'.

Probably a driver behind flipping gear quite quickly. 5 years ago (ok a little longer than that if I'm being honest) when I had a couple of electrics and a few pedals to go with my one main amp, I actually had a great tone (IMHO). I knew exactly what everything did, and how to get whatever sound I was after. These days I have to fiddle with every amp every time, as I have to re-find the sweet spots as the variables (pedals, guitars, speakers) change with every outing. I suspect part of it is when you're doing things like playing covers (my originals band I'm the bass player...), there is a tendency (if you have the means) to have all the sounds on tap - the U2 jangle, the Stones crunch, the 80s rock, etc etc. Which makes it hard to consolidate on a particular sound/tone. When I was playing originals (as the guitarist), I did have a tone I was after for the band as a whole, and that probably made life simpler.

Less might be more. But I inwardly cringe at the amount of $ tied up in unused (even if only currently) gear. Vicious circle.

Anyone else in this bucket? Molly? Kiwiaxe? Others?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Anyone had that 'too much is too much' funk?

Post by Reg18 »

I feel like you've just opened your self up for another modelling vs real amp thread!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I know what you mean - I saw a couple of cover bands in the last week where the guys seem to have a set-and-forget approach and they nailed all sorts of songs. Didn't see any tap dancing and both played a single guitar all night with great results. I'm still trying to find a good clean/crunch/lead combo that works after all these years - and those guys seem to have an amp tone that did the lot. And both completely different set ups. Admirable.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

I've more or less figured out what tuning and (sub-)subgenre each of my amp excel at so I only have to figure out what style I feel like playing today.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Delayman wrote:I know what you mean - I saw a couple of cover bands in the last week where the guys seem to have a set-and-forget approach and they nailed all sorts of songs. Didn't see any tap dancing and both played a single guitar all night with great results. I'm still trying to find a good clean/crunch/lead combo that works after all these years - and those guys seem to have an amp tone that did the lot. And both completely different set ups. Admirable.
I manage this, but it his hard. I play 4+ hours a night doing covers, and manage with only 1 guitar and 1 amp, but i still struggle. "Ooh id really like this tone now but i cant with my rig, so il make do".

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have the same issue in the morning when I can't decide to take the Aventador or the 458 to work.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Yeahhh, can't really relate to this thread beyond the comparison of having a bunch of amp models available digitally. What I do find is the models available dictate what I end up trying to play, rather than deciding on a tune and dialling it in, based on so many of the downloadable patches being based on a song tone, if that makes sense.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I think it's just we have such a diversity of 'tones' that the 'electric guitar' sound can be - whereas something like an acoustic has a broadly similar basic tone.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Don't get me wrong, one tone endlessly would bore me to death, its more the lack of certainty around 'what's my go-to?'. Modelling wouldn't solve this at all, even as far back as when I had a POD XT, I still had 6 or 7 setups on the go which was too many.
And while I hear you JB with the car analogy, I bet it would be the same with the guy who has 25 supercars in the garage. Sure it looks cool, and all your mates are jealous but really what are you driving each day? Do you swap all the time so everything gets a go? If so, what feels like home if you only use it every 2 weeks?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I think finding your own voice is the key to satisfaction. I have six electrics, three amps, four cabs and a decent size board but my gear choices are not based around wanting access to a range of another players sounds. I write and record pieces that require a selection of gear to reproduce and that's where acquisition ends. However I still occasionally get carried away endlessly swapping things round until I realise I've wasted an afternoon and attained nothing other than a state of irritation.
I can see why a cover band player might want a pile of kit to replicate a diverse set list but even then if I was in that situation I'd prefer to give a song my own take rather than exactly duplicate the original, after all that's what a DJ's for right.

As far as what to use as a go to. I recommend a Palmer Triage so you can mix and match between three different amps, take everything and pray for a big stage.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think you can just be happy with having nice things for the sake of having them, but if you feel a funk then perhaps it's a purpose you're lacking, rather than a specific piece of gear :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Whatever the funk is it's worth it for the elation when it goes well.

Putting the DGT into the London Pro whilst noodling along with a bit of Sean Costello the other day was tremendous. Jamming along with some Alvin Lee on the 335 the tone was also great and it all seemed to be falling into place; chasing melodies and lead lines and not really knowing where they're coming from or going. Just feeling on top form...

A day later it can all seem like crap. I think most of it is in my head.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

The title had me cringing at something like slap bass.
I don't gig and have the equivalent of a garage full of cars(amps). I just get one out and use it for about six months to a year then change flavour. Shifting between marshall & fender. 5E3 at the moment.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

maybe it`s the Telecaster.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I've had my Kemper for nearly 4 years and I've forgotten the last time I had a bad tone day.

I change guitars a bit, but the same half dozen or so never change. And I do it because it's fun, I can, and at the end of the day different guitars play differently and some you gel with more than others.

Going kemper was the best thing I did for my music. I don't muck around twiddling tones now - I just play (even if that's on a variety of guitars).