Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: NGD

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:Give the bridge pup some time and you might end up liking its lower output. Could see if raising its height helps any. Need low output pups to sizzle? Boost!

The thing I like about this SD Whole Lotta Humbucker set I have now is they drive like over wound pups, but clean up as good, if not better than low output PAF style (clean up so well due to being a clearer sounding pup I think is what is happening).
I just put a set in my SG, loving them so far !
What do they measure?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Molly wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:Give the bridge pup some time and you might end up liking its lower output. Could see if raising its height helps any. Need low output pups to sizzle? Boost!

The thing I like about this SD Whole Lotta Humbucker set I have now is they drive like over wound pups, but clean up as good, if not better than low output PAF style (clean up so well due to being a clearer sounding pup I think is what is happening).
What do they measure?
8.7 for the bridge and 8.2 for the neck. Alnico 5. have clarity of PAF in mids and highs, but do not have so much flub in the bass. Stay clear when rolling off volume.

If the Shawbucker in the bridge is lower output than the neck, that seems unusual. Not many people do that on purpose. Check the magnets are not messed up perhaps? (Gaussmeter)

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

The Whole Lotta Humbuckers are awesome.

I'm using a set in a guitar that I use exclusively for Stoner Rock/Metal/Doom, tuned to C#, and they have just enough to sizzle the amp a bit but heaps of clarity. Very cool.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

sizzlingbadger wrote: I just put a set in my SG, loving them so far !
yeah, my first impression was just 'wow'. With four controls plus splitting, there are so many tones to be had. Split the bridge pup and could close my eyes and swear I was playing a SG junior with a P-90.

P.S. Molly. At least the clown burst is not a rim jobby. I wonder if the sun would fade it out a bit? Got yourself a piece of history there.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
Molly wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:
What do they measure?
8.7 for the bridge and 8.2 for the neck. Alnico 5. have clarity of PAF in mids and highs, but do not have so much flub in the bass. Stay clear when rolling off volume.

If the Shawbucker in the bridge is lower output than the neck, that seems unusual. Not many people do that on purpose. Check the magnets are not messed up perhaps? (Gaussmeter)
Cheers for that.

Can't recall the exact measurement but there was next to nothing in it. Will try height adjustment when I get home.

Hoping to get my other BK set in the 335 tonight. P90 neck and Riff Raff bridge. Don't like the original neck PU at all. Bridge is OK but no particular character.

Swear once you've enjoyed unpotted pickups potted sound dead. IMHO

P90 is potted by the way. BK said they're too prone to becoming microphonic.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Molly wrote:Cheers for that.

Can't recall the exact measurement but there was next to nothing in it. Will try height adjustment when I get home.

Hoping to get my other BK set in the 335 tonight. P90 neck and Riff Raff bridge. Don't like the original neck PU at all. Bridge is OK but no particular character.
The 57s in that LP Trad i sold you were not that flash either. Okay, but nothing special. I did like the Burstbucker 1 and 3 in my old SG though. They were nice. Not sure why these Duncans kick ass so much compared to all the Gisbon pups I have had. Did not like the Dimazio pups in my super strat either, or EMGs. Was thinking all the buzz about aftermarket pups was marketing hype and cork sniffing, but these SDs have changed my mind. First time i have been really happy with pups.

Edit. What did surprise me was the EMG-HZs in my Jackson Soloist. I was expecting them to be hopeless, but they are not too bad at all. A little dull perhaps, but can gets me some sweet tones out of them.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Stick the guitar in some sunlight for a few days...knock back the red.

The Shaws can be a little underpowered but they are nice a clear. What AR said, or even lift the pole pieces only...

Looks like a little jiggery pokery in the electrics, but nothing scary.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

GrantB wrote:Stick the guitar in some sunlight for a few days...knock back the red.
This means take it overseas, or to sunbeds.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote: ... Not sure why these Duncans kick ass so much compared to all the Gisbon pups I have had. Did not like the Dimazio pups in my super strat either, or EMGs. Was thinking all the buzz about aftermarket pups was marketing hype and cork sniffing, but these SDs have changed my mind. First time i have been really happy with pups.

Edit. What did surprise me was the EMG-HZs in my Jackson Soloist. I was expecting them to be hopeless, but they are not too bad at all. A little dull perhaps, but can gets me some sweet tones out of them.
I had passive EMGs in a P-Series Steinberger that were great pickups. Preferred them to the 81/85 that everybody else seemed to be using at the time. It'd be interesting to find out how those SDs are put together, eh? You'd think by now it'd be black and white but seemingly not.
GrantB wrote:Stick the guitar in some sunlight for a few days...knock back the red.

The Shaws can be a little underpowered but they are nice a clear. What AR said, or even lift the pole pieces only...

Looks like a little jiggery pokery in the electrics, but nothing scary.
Jiggery pokery as in changes? Will take a closer look at the pots tonight. See if they're 500k etc. I'd forgotten about folk using UV to fade-out the red. Is that not an aniline dye thing though? Would it necessarily relate to a guitar from the Knight Rider / The Wedding Singer era? :-)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... e32d3d.jpg

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I really like the colour of this one. goes well with the black plastic's
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Found a pot dater website: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx Mine are CTS from '79.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Molly wrote:Found a pot dater website: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx Mine are CTS from '79.
that's old... put some new ones in!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

AiRdAd wrote:
Molly wrote:Found a pot dater website: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx Mine are CTS from '79.
that's old... put some new ones in!!! :-)
1. Buy vintage-ish LP custom with Shaw PAFs
2. Refinish
3. Replace pups
4. Replace pots
5. ???
6. Profit!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie