Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

NGD

Post by Molly »

Thought I'd post a few pics of the '81 Les Paul Custom I got a couple of days ago. All seems well. Still in two minds about the pickups and if I should swap them for the BK Mules. I think they're Shaw pickups (Grant?). Very open sounding. Really like the neck. Bridge less so if I'm honest. They both measure 7.5 ish.

Shame they don't do this standard of shielding anymore:

Last edited by Molly on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: NGD

Post by sirvill »

That is so cool.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sirvill wrote:That is so cool.
Now I've got it I'm less offended by the clown-burst. Sort of think, well, it is what it is. I can live with it.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote:
sirvill wrote:That is so cool.
Now I've got it I'm less offended by the clown-burst. Sort of think, well, it is what it is. I can live with it for the three days that I'll have it.
Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I used to go "Oh yuck clown burst".

But since I've embraced the vibes of smelly old 70s and 80s customs, I kinda like it. Like, don't prefer it over other finishes but its not a super dealbreaker. Put it in the same category as a 3 way switch on an old strat, or hard to intonate bridges on Teles - but its even easier to get over cause functionally its of no consequence.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote:Now I've got it I'm less offended by the clown-burst. I can live with it for the week or so that I have it before I flick it on.
Fixed.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

That is a rip roaring guitar, which I really loved when I owned it. The pickups are very dynamic, and clean up beautifully.

Unfortunately, what you haven't told everyone is the weight (OMFG kg) which ultimately is why I parted with it.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Kiwiaxe wrote:That is a rip roaring guitar, which I really loved when I owned it. The pickups are very dynamic, and clean up beautifully.

Unfortunately, what you haven't told everyone is the weight (OMFG kg) which ultimately is why I parted with it.
Honestly, when I first picked it up I was expecting an anchor but was pleasantly surprised. Will weigh it later just out of interest.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

They are Shaw pups, the neck is great, the bridge a little underpowered maybe. Cool guitar !
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:They are Shaw pups, the neck is great, the bridge a little underpowered maybe. Cool guitar !
Yeah. That's my feeling about the bridge. Was knocking the gain up a bit when playing it yesterday as it wouldn't push the amp the way the Suhr does (which is itself just 8.5 ish in the bridge).

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Give the bridge pup some time and you might end up liking its lower output. Could see if raising its height helps any. Need low output pups to sizzle? Boost!

The thing I like about this SD Whole Lotta Humbucker set I have now is they drive like over wound pups, but clean up as good, if not better than low output PAF style (clean up so well due to being a clearer sounding pup I think is what is happening).

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote:
Kiwiaxe wrote:That is a rip roaring guitar, which I really loved when I owned it. The pickups are very dynamic, and clean up beautifully.

Honestly, when I first picked it up I was expecting an anchor but was pleasantly surprised. Will weigh it later just out of interest.
What Molly's trying to say is, he is stronger than you. :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote:
Molly wrote:

What Molly's trying to say is, he is stronger than you. :mrgreen:
Naaa. What I'm saying is that I'm unlikely to have to stand up on stage with it any time soon.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Give the bridge pup some time and you might end up liking its lower output. Could see if raising its height helps any. Need low output pups to sizzle? Boost!

The thing I like about this SD Whole Lotta Humbucker set I have now is they drive like over wound pups, but clean up as good, if not better than low output PAF style (clean up so well due to being a clearer sounding pup I think is what is happening).
I just put a set in my SG, loving them so far !
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Looks like a cracker :)

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.