Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: NGD

Post by GrantB »

Molly wrote: Jiggery pokery as in changes?
Is that a Vitamin Q cap in there? Can't tell....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:
Will pop the back off again later.

Just adjusted the bridge PU closer (it was way low) The balance is far better and the overall tone improved. Through the Plexi channel it nails that Gov't Mule 'Soulshine' tone.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

AS you're no doubt aware, I have an '83 Custom. It's been tinkered with, but it's a fucking brilliant guitar. Mine's got 36th Annis in it, as opposed to the Shaws, which suits me fine. I've played an '82 with Shaws, and they are mining the same territory. Mine is extremely heavy, but that's not a big deal.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Molly wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Will pop the back off again later.

Just adjusted the bridge PU closer (it was way low) The balance is far better and the overall tone improved. Through the Plexi channel it nails that Gov't Mule 'Soulshine' tone.
Ahhh, bliss. Gov't Mule, 'nuff said.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Polar Bear wrote:AS you're no doubt aware, I have an '83 Custom. It's been tinkered with, but it's a fucking brilliant guitar. Mine's got 36th Annis in it, as opposed to the Shaws, which suits me fine. I've played an '82 with Shaws, and they are mining the same territory. Mine is extremely heavy, but that's not a big deal.
My digital luggage scales say just over 11 lbs! Doesn't feel that heavy. Must be the low center of gravity... :-)

SG next. :-) or something with P90s.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Woo hoo...11 pounds. What a fatty. Love those heavy custom tones! Weight never bothers me...dunno why some people yank on about it.

Ya done good Brian!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:Woo hoo...11 pounds. What a fatty. Love those heavy custom tones! Weight never bothers me...dunno why some people yank on about it.

Ya done good Brian!
Cheers Grant. I did an A/B with the Suhr yesterday and preferred the Suhr's bridge pickup. Today, after adjusting the LP's there was nothing in it really. However, after playing the LP for half an hour I found the sheer body of the LP's tone lacking in the Suhr. All that weight definitely adds something.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

So the pup height adjustment worked? I wonder how many have replaced pups instead of grabbing a screwdriver :D

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

GrantB wrote:
Yep Vitamin Q. I put that in there when I owned it. It was the last of a heap of N.O.S. one I got off Ebay years ago. The other cap is Russian one.
I bought that LPC in from a deceased estate 6 or 7 years ago. Owned it for a couple years and teaded it for a mint Ibanez Uni. Good to see it again. I liked the Shaws in it. Nice gat. Sure it was an 81 tho... ?
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:So the pup height adjustment worked? I wonder how many have replaced pups instead of grabbing a screwdriver :D
Honestly, yes. I'd done nothing with it but play it a bit then restrung and cleaned it. Hadn't adjusted the pickups but after you mentioned it ( :thumbup: ) I did think that the bridge one was way too low. I generally don't like them too close (f'k knows why - think it was this Lindy Fralin video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biWMx6q8U8 ) but cranking them up gave it a good bit more poke.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Timoes wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Yep Vitamin Q. I put that in there when I owned it. It was the last of a heap of N.O.S. one I got off Ebay years ago. The other cap is Russian one.
I bought that LPC in from a deceased estate 6 or 7 years ago. Owned it for a couple years and teaded it for a mint Ibanez Uni. Good to see it again. I liked the Shaws in it. Nice gat. Sure it was an 81 tho... ?
Love a forum whore. Sounds like this LPC has done the rounds. Was it refretted when you got it? That's been done at some point but there's no discernible wear so thought it might be recent.

Yes. You're right. '81. Hadn't bothered to check.... :oops:

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

No. It had some reasonable wear on it when I got it but nothing serious. I actually likes me a littlee used fret action anyhows. The neck did have a tiny gap between the body at heel joint. I,m picking the next owner after me had the next re-set and maybe re-fretted at the same time. Possibly a Peter Stevens job but not certain.
But yep she is a solid ol mother aye ?
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Timoes wrote:No. It had some reasonable wear on it when I got it but nothing serious. I actually likes me a littlee used fret action anyhows. The neck did have a tiny gap between the body at heel joint. I,m picking the next owner after me had the next re-set and maybe re-fretted at the same time. Possibly a Peter Stevens job but not certain.
But yep she is a solid ol mother aye ?
Must've. No evidence of a gap at all. Thanks for the bit of a back-story. :thumbup:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I generally don't like them too close
I am the same. Too close can kill sustain because magnets are pulling on those strings like a Death Star tractor beam. Can also introduce a weird harmonic clashing sound if too close. I never measure anything with pup height. I just adjust to what i think sounds good.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Kiwiaxe wrote:That is a rip roaring guitar, which I really loved when I owned it. The pickups are very dynamic, and clean up beautifully.

Unfortunately, what you haven't told everyone is the weight (OMFG kg) which ultimately is why I parted with it.
So you sold it to Tim who passed it on to Molly...
Your ^ is explained in full. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.