Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: NAD: Electra Dyne + Laney

Post by sizzlingbadger »

This should complete the system...
IMG_1056.jpg
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Made the cab open back and fitted the Fane, very smooth speaker and darker than the your average Celestion.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

The ED is a darker sounding amp, on the blue and red channels. The speaker is therefore an interesting pick.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

werdna wrote:The ED is a darker sounding amp, on the blue and red channels. The speaker is therefore an interesting pick.
Do this and the Royal Atlantic share much or just aesthetically the same?
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

werdna wrote:The ED is a darker sounding amp, on the blue and red channels. The speaker is therefore an interesting pick.
I didn't quite know what the Fane would be like, its better at higher volumes. I think a Celestion would suit my "home volumes" better but I do like the way it sounds, it still has that bell like sound. The ED defiantly has a Marshall vibe, but it is thicker and darker. Its pretty monstrous really.
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Olderama wrote:
Do this and the Royal Atlantic share much or just aesthetically the same?
They are similar sounding apparently.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Curious how ya digging the ED man? It's on my GAS list..

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Very cool amp, really enjoying it. Very easy to dial in a good tone unlike some Mesa's. In fact I don't touch the controls on it much once they are set, I just roll back the guitar volume a bit to vary the sounds.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Cool. Do you find its too dark or scooped sounding? Can it fo the marshall tight & bright thing at all?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its not scooped like a Rectumfrier, it is Marshall-esque - british sounding (for a Mesa) but its not a Marshall. Its a bit more "crunch" than "kerrang". It has much more low end grunt than a Marshall and its more "lively" and natural than a MKV. Its crazy loud, I put the Master at noon and hit a chord and it rattled the floors and windows and shit my dogs up for several hours. The kids ran downstairs as they thought something had blown up. The clean channel is very Fender / American.

I love it, more than my MKV, its sufficiently different from my Laney (which is more Voxy) that I'll keep both.
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

sizzlingbadger wrote: I put the Master at noon and hit a chord and it rattled the floors and windows and shit my dogs up for several hours. The kids ran downstairs as they thought something had blown up.
:lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I miss my old ED so much. Fantastic amp.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Its not scooped like a Rectumfrier, it is Marshall-esque - british sounding (for a Mesa) but its not a Marshall. Its a bit more "crunch" than "kerrang". It has much more low end grunt than a Marshall and its more "lively" and natural than a MKV. Its crazy loud, I put the Master at noon and hit a chord and it rattled the floors and windows and shit my dogs up for several hours. The kids ran downstairs as they thought something had blown up. The clean channel is very Fender / American.

I love it, more than my MKV, its sufficiently different from my Laney (which is more Voxy) that I'll keep both.
Great summation thanks. Makes my decision much easier haha
How does it sound a lower levels?
I heard its a great pedal amp too

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its fine at low levels, loses a bit of bite as all amps do, I use a Hot Plate just to make the MV a bit more manageable but I wouldn't say its a requirement at home. I only use a Flint in the loop so can't comment on pedals up front.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Ah that sounds awesome!!

We need another gearfest - we can grab this and my Rivera and try to demolish the place