Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: NAD: Something not really old...

Post by vintage52 »

Love the Junior.

If you ever see it, had one stolen that had a full pick guard and vibrola.

Neck was routed by previous owner which is why I think it had full guard.

Love it.....miss it!
Wellington

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bonkers!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Using the blue channel for Sabbath?

Mmmm SG's.
Make Music Great Again

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Clanger wrote:Using the blue channel for Sabbath?

Mmmm SG's.
Probably? I mean, yeah that is the idea. Haven't really had enough time with it yet. The red channel actually sounds like it could work for Master of Reality stuff and I quite like the idea of being able to switch the channels for that. To my ears, Master of Reality sits apart - not sure if he just cranked the Rangemaster or what, but it sounds like there is a bit more gain on that album. I get a fair bit of distinction for the first two albums just by using a P90 and being tuned to E. Low output humbuckers seem to work better for the C# stuff, but it would be cool to have an extra gear.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

vintage52 wrote:Love the Junior.
There's lot's to love about this one. It's the kind of guitar that provides confirmation that beyond the hype and intawebs wankery, there's some largely indescribable amazing thing going on with some old guitars.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Mmmm SG's.
Clean channel and a Sabbra Cadabra perhaps. For 'The End' tour Laney did a reissue of the amp Iommi used back in the Paranoid era, along with treble booster.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Great photo there. Nice selection of Gibsons. I take it there are some oldies in there.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
Clean channel and a Sabbra Cadabra perhaps. For 'The End' tour Laney did a reissue of the amp Iommi used back in the Paranoid era, along with treble booster.
Yes. Those Laney reissues are insanely cool. Bit spendy though...

For treble boosting purposes, I have my trusty Silverpistol Ophidia (you can hear that through the Marshall on the clip I posted on my gig thread). I've tried a lot of Rangemaster clones, and nothing has bested it (including DAM, Pigdog, Analogman, Keeley and 65 Amps versions...) I've also tried the Sabbra Cadabra as well as a Castledine pedal doing the same thing (Laney Supergroup pre-amp + Rangemaster), but I much prefer my overdrive coming from the amp. Based on initial experiments, the Ophidia gets on pretty well with the blue channel.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

GrantB wrote:
vintage52 wrote:Love the Junior.
There's lot's to love about this one. It's the kind of guitar that provides confirmation that beyond the hype and intawebs wankery, there's some largely indescribable amazing thing going on with some old guitars.
If you could measure sustain per kg, I'd venture the Jr would be off the chart. Light as a feather, yet sings for days. It is a truly splendid creature.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:

Mmmm SG's.
Probably? I mean, yeah that is the idea. Haven't really had enough time with it yet. The red channel actually sounds like it could work for Master of Reality stuff and I quite like the idea of being able to switch the channels for that. To my ears, Master of Reality sits apart - not sure if he just cranked the Rangemaster or what, but it sounds like there is a bit more gain on that album. I get a fair bit of distinction for the first two albums just by using a P90 and being tuned to E. Low output humbuckers seem to work better for the C# stuff, but it would be cool to have an extra gear.
On some of the MOR songs he definitely used the higher gain Laney Klipp, which was a prototype at that stage. You can hear the difference to his usual Supergroup sound on Lord Of This World and Into The Void. Almost sounds like a fuzz pedal on some of those tracks.

When they were recording 13, they brought in old Klipps (which he said "always blew up"), but he said his sig Laney covered the sounds of old.
Make Music Great Again