Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Quilter Amps: Colour me surprised!

Post by bender »

There was a bit of discussion about the Quilter 101 Mini Head on Surfguitar101.com a while ago and I figured one would make a great backup amp to take to gigs. If one of our amps goes kerphut (it has happened), just plug it into the combo's speaker and we're back up and running. Janek announced on Facebook that Haywire would be stocking them so I grabbed one. Well, I was expecting it to sound pretty good, but it's fricken awesome! I had a VHT cab which is the perfect size for a portable rig, and replaced the speaker with a Jensen Neo rated at 100watts (the Surf mode is 100watts!) and it sounds superb. The overdrive is rad and it's really responsive.

Shitty phone photo:

Surf Mode ACTIVATE:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Quilter Amps: Colour me surprised!

Post by codedog »

I saw it listed on TM this week. I've always wondered about this and thought it'd be fantastic since I could easily fit it in my pedal board!

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

codedog wrote:I saw it listed on TM this week. I've always wondered about this and thought it'd be fantastic since I could easily fit it in my pedal board!
Yeah, that was my thought too. It was only intended to be a backup but I used it on a recording session today and it slayed!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

bender wrote:
codedog wrote:I saw it listed on TM this week. I've always wondered about this and thought it'd be fantastic since I could easily fit it in my pedal board!
Yeah, that was my thought too. It was only intended to be a backup but I used it on a recording session today and it slayed!
Just re-watched the 6 promotion vids on their website. Much want. Need gearfest.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Gearfest- definitely time for one I reckon.

I should add- it's quite happy without a speaker connected so makes a great headphone practice amp too.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

For a convincing vox emulation just tie an anvil to it and punch your mates in the ear

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:For a convincing vox emulation just tie an anvil to it and punch your mates in the ear
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

OH... EM... GEE! They've got a new version coming up with reverb! Some demos on their YouTube channel!

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Interesting & I see that they have a Bass version as well.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times

Post by H671 »

bender wrote:Gearfest- definitely time for one I reckon..
Well overdue for one.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

H671 wrote:Interesting & I see that they have a Bass version as well.

Yeah I was tempted, but its $999, so not so attractive price wise (although lots of power for that cost)

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

sirvill wrote:
H671 wrote:Interesting & I see that they have a Bass version as well.

Yeah I was tempted, but its $999, so not so attractive price wise (although lots of power for that cost)
Yeah, if it were more the price of the mini 101 I'd grab one. Seems like there's lots of options out there in terms of mini bass heads.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times

Post by sty »

I was curious about this amp, in a tyre kicking way given the huge steps forward in stuff like Helix and the Amplifi etc. so open to looking at anything a bit new and well regarded.

Looked at the website, saw the prices for their comparable amps at US$299 (thought I'd seen the price for this one at the same but can't seem to find it today). I then looked at the trademe prices for Heywire and I simply can't fathom the pricing at NZ$999 for the same models at US$299 (which converts to about US$430), even adding in GST and some shipping that's a pretty impressive margin.

So, pretty much lost any interest at that point, if I was serious about a new amp I'd probably have looked at Ed's Soldano if I was in those prices.

I know it's hard as a boutique importer, but it doesn't half put a new spin on a budget/affordable product.

(Sorry couldn't get Strikethorugh to work)

looks like I either misread the prices or they've been updated (probably the former) and NZ$579 is a bit more like it
Last edited by sty on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

You can buy them from Aussie ebvay for $540 NZD shipped, but I presume you'll pay gst/imports on that unless they can fudge the label.

Still, it's like everything music related: we get shafted in NZ.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

sty wrote:I was curious about this amp, in a tyre kicking way given the huge steps forward in stuff like Helix and the Amplifi etc. so open to looking at anything a bit new and well regarded.

Looked at the website, saw the prices for their comparable amps at US$299 (thought I'd seen the price for this one at the same but can't seem to find it today). I then looked at the trademe prices for Heywire and I simply can't fathom the pricing at NZ$999 for the same models at US$299 (which converts to about US$430), even adding in GST and some shipping that's a pretty impressive margin.

So, pretty much lost any interest at that point, if I was serious about a new amp I'd probably have looked at Ed's Soldano if I was in those prices.

I know it's hard as a boutique importer, but it doesn't half put a new spin on a budget/affordable product.
That's not right- his prices are pretty close to what you'd pay to import them. The $999NZ model (Bass Block 800) is $599US. Mine cost $550NZ vs $299US.