LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

NACD!

Post by LucyTheSpud »

New amp cab day! (The middle one)

Iv been wanting to change up my cab for a while now. Been using a 1936V 2x12 V30s cab for a year or so. Sounds great, dont get me wrong, but it can sound a little wooly with the JTM, and not as focused.

Bam, enter the Marshall 1965a 4x10. Should tame the lower midrange and give it a bit more punch. I say should, drove 2 hours to Wellington on a whim after work last night to pick it up. Got home too late to test it, had to go to work this morning. So, theoretically, my tone is now more awesome. Thank you Facebook for your cheap deals!

Only flaw so far: none of the widths line up. Not really sure i can live with it.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: NACD!

Post by Molly »

I admire a guy that'll drive two hours on a whim in search of the tone. :thumbup:

Widths... Yeah, won't sound right until they're all the same. ;-)

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

The drive for tone is endless...

And it was a cheap deal, and beat me sitting around watching tv for an evening. Looking forward to cranking it up tonight!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

the marshall 4x10 i had was a monster-way more thump than it should have with its smaller size!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

amp lego!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Kris wrote:the marshall 4x10 i had was a monster-way more thump than it should have with its smaller size!
Thump is good. But the JTM + 2x12 is over the top thump. Tend to run the amps midrange flat out and the bass nearly off. Hoping the 4x10 will fix the issue.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

well i found the 1965(?) actually had a huge amount of bass,so not sure it will have the desired effect....

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Kris wrote:well i found the 1965(?) actually had a huge amount of bass,so not sure it will have the desired effect....
I guess tonights crankfest will be an interesting experiment then...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

What if you tried it open backed?

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Molly wrote:What if you tried it open backed?
Open back 12s would lose even more of the punch im looking to gain by going to 10s. I think.

Im making this shit up as i go along.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

So. I got home...

Amp on, plugged in. Antiquity loaded strat into the JTM45. Turned up.

Turns out my flatmate was home sleeping after his night shift. Oops. Did not know that. Sorry bud!

The tone. Oh man the tone. The JTM has a certain roar to it, i run it very loud and gritty. The 10s gave it a beautiful punch that iv never had before, tamed the lower midrange mush but retained the fullness that i love. Very crisp and punchy, full of flavour.

Added in my EHX glove, never looking back. Will be trying it out at my next jam session to be sure but this thing kicks the snot out of any other tone iv had.

4x10s fucking rule.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Wicked!
Loving it so far

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

LucyTheSpud wrote:So. I got home...

Turns out my flatmate was home sleeping after his night shift. Oops. Did not know that. Sorry bud!

The tone. Oh man the tone. The JTM has a certain roar to it, i run it very loud and gritty. The 10s gave it a beautiful punch that iv never had before, tamed the lower midrange mush but retained the fullness that i love. Very crisp and punchy, full of flavour.

Added in my EHX glove, never looking back. Will be trying it out at my next jam session to be sure but this thing kicks the snot out of any other tone iv had.

4x10s fucking rule.
I'm on my first 4x10. Dirty channel of the Sky King cranked through it is just glorious (open back). Intuitively believed it'd be even better through a 4x12. From what you're saying maybe not. Won't know until I get a chance to crank them again. Fuck knows when that'll be. :-(

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Molly wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:So. I got home...

4x10s fucking rule.
I'm on my first 4x10. Dirty channel of the Sky King cranked through it is just glorious (open back). Intuitively believed it'd be even better through a 4x12. From what you're saying maybe not. Won't know until I get a chance to crank them again. Fuck knows when that'll be. :-(
I can definitely imagine its on an amp by amp basis... but in this case, yes, 10s win hands down.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Hard to go back to combos once you've had a taste of this setup. Tasty gear :clap:
Make Music Great Again