Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

New Stuff Day

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Two arrivals today; one from a few weeks ago that was still missing a photo on here.

I'm calling them the Kings and the Queen.

Big shout out to Jellybelly who did the most astounding packaging job on the LSL and Royalist! Chur bro :)

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: New Stuff Day

Post by Kiwiaxe »

In case that was too subtle:
- LSL T Bone tele
- Tone King Royalist 45
- Tone King Sky King

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Post by kdawg2a »

That's one hell of a christmas present to yourself! Very nice and well done!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Kiwiaxe wrote:Two arrivals today; one from a few weeks ago that was still missing a photo on here.

Big shout out to Jellybelly who did the most astounding packaging job on the LSL and Royalist! Chur bro :)
Glad that Royalist stayed local. I had the 15 (twice) and t'was a fine amp!

Spotted a PRS 408 there I think?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Fine selection you have there, that looks like my kind of Tele!

Never heard of LSL guitars before? Oh and got your PM btw - thanks. All good there :)

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

out of curiosity you have no issues leaving all your guitars out hanging all the time,
I'm too paranoid about temperature, humidity and just fading and dust to leave them out of the cases. fair enough for one your playing all the time or a beater
hate changing strings as well and the cases just seems to slow/even things out
guess it depends on where in the country you are and how private/secure your gear room is but just wondering how many have their gats in racks or wall as opposed to cased.
yours looks cool but mine would be facing the road so thats not an option

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

kwhelan wrote:out of curiosity you have no issues leaving all your guitars out hanging all the time,
I'm too paranoid about temperature, humidity and just fading and dust to leave them out of the cases. fair enough for one your playing all the time or a beater
guess it depends on where in the country you are and how private/secure your gear room is but just wondering how many have their gats in racks or wall as opposed to cased.
I use a dehumidifier, and I find I play the guitars more if I have them out, and not locked away in cases.

Also, a case is no protection against humidity (quite the opposite in fact) although they do act as a buffer against quick changes in humidity.

If you don't have a dehumidifier, do yourself a favour and get one and keep your guitars around 50% humidity. All guitars will absorb moisture. Even a tele sounds better when it is not full of water.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Even a tele sounds better when it is not full of water.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

I use a dehumidifier, and I find I play the guitars more if I have them out, and not locked away in cases.

I Suspected as much re the playing,
what is this humidity you speak of
Hawkes Bay its sits on zero and the sun is so bad, there's only two places in the world where fabrics aren't covered for fading and Hawkes Bay is one of them. Some car colors just aren't worth ordering here and your fancy smancy outdoor furniture only looks good for one season and its history

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

kwhelan wrote:out of curiosity you have no issues leaving all your guitars out hanging all the time,
I subscribe to the "if its hidden away, it doesn't get played" school of thought.

None of my guitars are sufficiently precious/fragile etc that they need to be locked away from life. The room can get fairly warm if the sun is blasting in, but at the end of the day the greatest temperature variation will be something like 20 low to 26 high. I keep a small heater on during the winter. I tried a dehumidifier in here once but the noise drove me nuts and frankly there was bugger all water being captured by it. Our house is very dry, and has vented heat pumps in most rooms (not my music one tho) so I'm sure that helps.

In theory the sun could affect stuff. But I've not found it to be a problem. The room faces east so doesn't get blasted too hard/long.

Re strings, that can be a pain, especially with approx 20 guitars. I use elixirs on anything with a floyd, and NYXLs on all others. They seem to last fine, even when I'm slack and don't wipe the strings down after playing. But again, by having them out, I'll grab random guitars from time to time so very few don't get played on a semi-regular basis.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Fine selection you have there, that looks like my kind of Tele!

Never heard of LSL guitars before? Oh and got your PM btw - thanks. All good there :)
I'd heard of them, primarily because I quite like Carl Verheyen and he plays LSL. I had the chance recently to play a LSL Carl Verheyen Special strat when I was in Melbourne and it blew me away. I should have bought it, but foolishly didn't. This LSL plays great - the necks on LSL guitars are to die for.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Molly wrote:
Kiwiaxe wrote:Two arrivals today; one from a few weeks ago that was still missing a photo on here.

Yep, one of the limited edition ones from a few years ago. Great guitar. Sometimes feels a little bit sterile, but that's my complaint about all PRS guitars. If a guitar isn't fighting back at least a little bit, it loses character :)

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

My music room to put things into context :) It gets a lot of use (one son plays drums, piano and trumpet; the other sings and plays classical guitar and is just starting on bass). Same theory - musical instruments are made for playing, and if they are in your face then they'll get used.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Kiwiaxe wrote:
Molly wrote:

Yep, one of the limited edition ones from a few years ago. Great guitar. Sometimes feels a little bit sterile, but that's my complaint about all PRS guitars. If a guitar isn't fighting back at least a little bit, it loses character :)
I know what you mean. My 408 was the most resonant PRS I've had. Maybe the best one I've had.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

It took me about 5 years after the earthquakes to be able to have guitars out on stands / hangers and not in hardcases in a safe place, no damage to my guitars during the quakes as they were all in cases then, altho' one of the cases got mashed by a 6' bookcase that fell on it, but the guitar survived :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.