The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

BNAD!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Belated New Amp Day!

Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace 2x12 50w combo, ex- Zaulkin! Had it a couple of months, but opted to wait for thoughts post-honeymoon.

Been wanting to shift to a combo for some years now for ease of setup and transportability. However, my specific tastes require me to have amps that I can use either in very high or low-medium gain situations due to playing in multiple bands. If my amp in my heavy band is being serviced, or I don’t feel like lugging a full stack, I needed something that could get a similar, if not replicated sound for the most part. As such, I’ve become accustomed to the format of 3 channels (clean/mid gain/high gain) or, more commonly, a two-channel setup with a master volume boost, which is the format on the Stiletto.

The multiple gain modes on each channel are all excellent to my ears and cover off such a wide palette. I can easily play this in my medium gain band with overdrive to spare, or crank into the heaviest mode for my more aggressive outfit. The construction on this thing is solid and the bass that this thing puts out is surprising even with the castors keeping it from being fully grounded, though they’re those swish trac-loc ones that easily slide off if desired. The overall tone is quite interesting, neither Mesa, nor Marshall-ish (‘British as intended’) but somewhat both, with all the good aspects.

The only ironic downer is that it’s absurdly heavy and a bit hard to carry with the top handle – the castors do aide a bit with this though. Overall though that’s relatively minor given how good it sounds. I definitely prefer this at 50 to the 100w Stiletto Deuce I borrowed a few years ago – much warmer and ‘alive’ sounding.

Hopefully a keeper here, depending on if it causes long-term chiro bills :P
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: BNAD!

Post by Molly »

The Scarecrow wrote:
The only ironic downer is that it’s absurdly heavy ...
That's the bit I was waiting for. They weigh a fucking tonne. Worth it though. Great amps with a bit of a Marshall leaning tone wise. I like that the speakers are enclosed too which I guess adds to the weight.

HBNAD

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: BNAD!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Molly wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:
The only ironic downer is that it’s absurdly heavy ...
That's the bit I was waiting for. They weigh a fucking tonne. Worth it though. Great amps with a bit of a Marshall leaning tone wise. I like that the speakers are enclosed too which I guess adds to the weight.

HBNAD
Cheers, yes, the weight is the only real negative about this amp, I'd like to hope it's from a chunky iron transformer rather than those tiny things they use in the DR's, but it could be cabinet mass as well.

Enclosed speakers were also a requirement - I'm spoiled by having had them for years on 2x12's and my quad.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."