AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: NWTFHTY Guitar Day

Post by AiRdAd »

I'm not sure if I'd use it - I could be a bit harsh - sometimes they can scratch, and can have chemicals in them that designed to 'cut' the paint. You'd still need to polish over it too. It might be a step that you don't need to do - you could go straight to polish.

I've got this 3m stuff that I use first (If I want to buff out any scratches,) then use the maguires three step system. Something like that might bring it up too shiny though - and I don't think you would want that.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote:I'm not sure if I'd use it - I could be a bit harsh - sometimes they can scratch, and can have chemicals in them that designed to 'cut' the paint. You'd still need to polish over it too. It might be a step that you don't need to do - you could go straight to polish.

I've got this 3m stuff that I use first (If I want to buff out any scratches,) then use the maguires three step system. Something like that might bring it up too shiny though - and I don't think you would want that.
True. The un-diseased parts have that soft shine that is the mark of a true vintage guitar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Keep wet sanding up to 2000. Get finer if you can.
Then treat it like a car.
Cut it.
Polish it.
Wax it - but leave the wax on for an hour or so so it actually does it’s job.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote: but leave the wax on for an hour or so so it actually does it’s job.
You're using the wrong wax dude, I use maguiers nxt, it is the BEST ever, wipe on, wipe off.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:Right. Took to the scunge with 1000 grit wet/dry and water. All the lumpy , black nastiness is gone leaving the water stain and cloudy finish. This is a massive improvement.

The finish is, of course now satin. Suggestions for re polishing it? Specifically, I have a bottle of automotive scratch and swirl remover. Any reason I souldn't use it?
dude, without a refinish its always going to be patchy. I'd just use some beeswax over the whole lot and play it. You're overthinking things.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Bg wrote: You're using the wrong wax dude, I use maguiers nxt, it is the BEST ever, wipe on, wipe off.
Don’t know about wrong as much as traditional.
Wax is supposed to sit and dry before it comes off.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Apparently I was over thinking things so fukkit, tonight I hit the back and sides with a dose of scratch & swirl remover.
A whole layer of tacky film came off leaving the surface shiny and smooth. The stains and clouding are still there but it now feels like a guitar body should and the un damaged Rosewood areas are gorgeous.
It's no Ramirez but I like it and new strings are in the mail.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

That’s the story

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1628 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by Jay »

more pics then?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote:more pics then?
Can't. Back's now too shiny.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Alright arnie, but what about the guitar?

ill get my coat

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

In my letterbox tonight was an envelope containing white powder........
Hmmmmm. Took a minute.
Thanks k1w1! :D

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

No worries just don't snort it, that shit will strip your nostrils. :rofl:

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Fun police

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Matsuoka.jpeg
De-contaminated, frets polished, fretboard cleaned, tuners replaced (unfortunately), new Savarez strings thanks to Polar Bear.
It sounds crisp, sweet and loud.
And it's been loved. I've never seen such fret wear on a nylon string before!
An absolutely wonderful $300 guitar.