Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: NGD & review: Fender Elite Strat

Post by Terexgeek »

codedog wrote:
Terexgeek wrote: No offense I have played some wonderful Fenders and Squiers, I have also played some really uninspiring ones, just dead, no personality, no resonance and uninteresting tones. Molly's Strat at the Gearfest was phenomenally great sounding, but bearing in mind it's a Custom Shop I wouldn't expect to purchase one as good off the shelf in the standard range easily. It's worth pointing out it didn't scratch the itch Molly's sorting, so he moved it on.

If you must have a Fender logo, power to you, but I don't think words describing other brands as "imitations" really helps.
I wholeheartedly agree with you there, especially on the "imitations" front. I have played wonderful Squiers but they didn't stay with me for long. I have a Mexi Strat now and am perfectly happy with it. Not sure if I would call it "wonderful" but it's keeping me content. Mind you, I suspect my definition of "wonderful" is likely to be considerably lower or, if I'm lucky, just different, than others'.

Sorry Conway... I'll stop highjacking your thread now...
I liked it, I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it, but it played and sounded really good.
Tin arse!!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

codedog wrote:Sorry Conway... I'll stop highjacking your thread now...
That's fine, no worries. It's an interesting discussion. I personally like Suhrs and Tom Andersons, but G&L's are shit. Obviously. If Leo had put his initial first, they would undoubtedly have been much better.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Cool gat! I think I like the colour...puts me in mind of a blue avocado, or a durex wrapper. Either way it's good times!

(I skipped all the strat talk)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I still have a craving for either Surf Green or Sonic Blue strat of some sort... I think those finish colours sound so much better. I see Malcolm has had that Jeff Beck surf green one for quite a while now. Not exactly lolly money though. Has anyone here ever had a Jeff Beck strat? I know quite a few have very high opinion of EJ model, never heard of the Beck one mentioned.

trying not to call it the JB model...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Leo created the perfect guitar in the telecaster, no one else should have bothered after that :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

jeremyb wrote:Leo created the perfect guitar in the telecaster, no one else should have bothered after that :lol:
I dont know if the reason why im having "issues" with my strat, is that I miss my American Series Tele I had before the SG...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:Leo created the perfect guitar in the telecaster, no one else should have bothered after that :lol:
A good Tele will cover just about anything. :thumbup:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Conway wrote:
codedog wrote:Sorry Conway... I'll stop highjacking your thread now...
That's fine, no worries. It's an interesting discussion. I personally like Suhrs and Tom Andersons, but G&L's are shit. Obviously. If Leo had put his initial first, they would undoubtedly have been much better.
LOL--L&G guitars would be awesome, no doubt.

Fender has been my favourite electric guitar company since I can remember. Especially Strats. I've owned a lot, and played a lot, over the years. They are my go-to gigging guitar, and always have been. If I see one for sale, I automatically want to buy it, if I see one lying around, I'll want to pick it up and play it.

Having said all that, I have to grudgingly admit that the Suhrs and Andersons are better. They are just a bit ahead at overcoming the original limitations of the instrument as Leo designed it. I thought I cared so much about the shape of the headstock that I'd just stick with Fenders forever, but it turns out I'll put up with a slightly altered headstock design if the guitar is also better.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote:I still have a craving for either Surf Green or Sonic Blue strat of some sort... I think those finish colours sound so much better. I see Malcolm has had that Jeff Beck surf green one for quite a while now. Not exactly lolly money though. Has anyone here ever had a Jeff Beck strat? I know quite a few have very high opinion of EJ model, never heard of the Beck one mentioned.

trying not to call it the JB model...

JB is the only person on here who has his own Fender artist model...don't take that away from him :-)

Seriously, I think the JB Strat is awesome, but I'd avoid the ones with those Fender hot noiseless pickups (which I believe Jeff did not use anyway). The EJ Strat is great too, with much more of a vintage vibe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

It's funny but I'm sure it's not just me, but the non fender headstocks on fender body shaped guitars just look weird.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:The EJ Strat is great too, with much more of a vintage vibe.
Although the EJ also has some modern specs, like a 12" radius and medium jumbo frets. Which is why I like the EJ.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:It's funny but I'm sure it's not just me, but the non fender headstocks on fender body shaped guitars just look weird.
It is the main reason why I gravitate towards Fender Strats, or even cheap copies that aren't important enough for Fender to go after them for copying the headstock. The small Strat headstock is just proportional perfection for a Strat body. Or even the shreddy version, aka Charvel.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:
jeremyb wrote:It's funny but I'm sure it's not just me, but the non fender headstocks on fender body shaped guitars just look weird.
It is the main reason why I gravitate towards Fender Strats, or even cheap copies that aren't important enough for Fender to go after them for copying the headstock. The small Strat headstock is just proportional perfection for a Strat body. Or even the shreddy version, aka Charvel.
I must admit my dislike of the Suhr Strats is purely related to the headstock. If I were to play one I suspect I would probably not give a damn. Thankfully my empty wallet allows me to retain my unrealistic bias.
Tin arse!!

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I'm the opposite and probably the minority here, I love the shape of strats, except for the Fender headstock, until I saw the Suhr headstock it was love at first sight

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote: .... G&L's are shit.......
bsge.jpg
bsge.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.