Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

The fuzZie bRo Pedals and Amps Register

Post by Capt. Black »

I was browsing some older posts and stumbled across a couple mentions of fuzZie bRo.

Anyone who has owned fuzZie bRo gear or dealt with Paul/fuzZie himself knows how great a guy he is and what fantastic work he did.

Since I was quite closely involved with Paul back when he was most actively designing and building his stuff, I have ended up with a fair number of his pedals. I also saw and heard him testing many of his builds before they went out the door, so I know there is a lot of amazing gear out there in the world.

Paul and fuzZie bRo were very active on NZG and the guitar scene for quite a long time but since he has moved on to different things, we don't see much mention of him any more.

Consequently, I thought it might be a cool idea to set this thread up as a register to find out what is where, share and compare and generally gather as much of a resource as possible for future reference.

I plan to dig out a lot of the more interesting gear I have stashed away and make some demo clips t share. A lot of them will be fuzZie bRo pedals I've accumulated over the years. It would be great to see others do the same, or post photos and a bit of a description/review.

It'd also be interesting to share any stories you might have too.

I'll write up a bit of a history from my perspective which will cover some of the ideas behind the development of the amps and pedals when Paul worked out of my studio, The Manor in Auckland. I won't be able to talk the tech stuff (that was Paul's turf) but I was often involved in the direction and development side which shaped the sound and style of some of his designs.

rocK oN fuzZie bRo!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: The fuzZie bRo Pedals and Amps Register

Post by Capt. Black »

_DSF4646.jpg
Paul/fuzZie bRo poses on the stairway in the Manor with his prototype amp.
Early on in our association, Paul had great ideas of building amps. He set up in an upstairs room at The Manor where he could work on his builds and test gear in the studios downstairs. This amp was a starting point from which many of the amps he completed were derived from. Sort of a test mule which could be jigged around to try different circuit variations.
_DSF4643.jpg
The incredibly tidy hand wiring of the prototype. This amp designed by Paul, was exploring the character and controls of the classic NMV Marshall but in a lower wattage.
_DSF4654.jpg
The amps of inspiration!
This is a selection of amps that we could set up in the Manor to test against and compare amp characters.
No master volumes in sight.
L-R, '77 Marshall 1959 Super Lead, c. 59-61 Jansen IA715 25watt head running through a DC Cabs 2x12 loaded with '50s vintage Goodmans alnico 12"s, '74 Marshall Super Bass running through 1960B cab with G12Hs and in front a Roland Jazz Chorus JC120.
_DSF4667.jpg
Paul testing his prototype. On the left is a '63 Fender Showman head sitting on an angled 2x12 (quarter stack) loaded with '70s era Celestion G12-65s.
Paul was an incredibly accomplished and tasteful player in his own right. The Manor was located next to Real Groovy records and the owner Chris Hart stopped by one time raving about how he could hear "...someone playing some righteous blues in there! Was that you?"
"Nah man... that was fuzZie bRo!"
_DSF4770.jpg
Paul jamming on my Black Tokai LP.
_DSF4771.jpg
Still jamming... You can see the amp was set up with EL84s. Searching for that perfect blend of Marshall/Fender/Vox 8)
_DSF4775.jpg
Paul's other great contribution to The Manor and the wellbeing of the AK music scene was the famous Carimali coffee machine... He was a skilled chef and barista too. Say no more...

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

IMG_0826 (2).jpg
Pedals!

This one is, I think, a one off. fuzZie CHiPs bRO.

Simple single knob fuzz control.

I picked this up from Polar Bear a few years back. I don't think I've even tested it yet! I have a tendency to acquire FB pedals when they come up for sale. I've lost track of what's in the collection but there's some really interesting models that do quite specific things. i'll dig 'em out and show them soon.

I don't often sell them but I did once
get talked into parting with a couple pedals in exchange for a gigantic '70s vintage 32 channel Jands mixer...
Jands 32.jpg

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

I've had this thing for years. No idea what it is.. I'm actually not sure I've ever plugged it in!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I bought a 808 kit off him, it might have been the first pedal I built, he hooked me up with vintage JRC4558's as well, sounded epic, kdawg has it now :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

when ever I heard his name mentioned I always thought he would look like Jimi Hendrix not Steve Clark :rofl: ... Don't think I have ever had the pleasure of hearing anything of his
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:when ever I heard his name mentioned I always thought he would look like Jimi Hendrix not Steve Clark :rofl: ... Don't think I have ever had the pleasure of hearing anything of his
:lol: I totally thought he would look like Hendrix too :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote:I bought a 808 kit off him, it might have been the first pedal I built, he hooked me up with vintage JRC4558's as well, sounded epic, kdawg has it now :)
Cool! I didn't know it was a Fuzziebro kit! It's on my pedal board all the time and it's an excellent light gain/ boost pedal.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I still have my fuzz though its been out on loan for about 3 years! That is a magical pedal.
I had an 808 for awhile.
He did a lot of tweaking on the Bombardier which has been sat in my workshop for about 7 years, waiting for me to fit a new power transformer! I also want to fit it into a combo, maybe in tweed lol
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

He built a tube screamer for me that is quite good. I lent it to my nephew so he could decide if he wanted to get his own screamer pedal. He settled on the Cmat Mods Super Sigma Drive, which is a well regarded pedal. Demos sold him on that over all the other options out there. However, he likes the Fuzzie Bro pedal more and i have not been able to get the thing back off him yet. I am making do with the boost on my amp.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

I’ve got a little fb amp here. 5w I think. Pic to follow.