Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

New Pedal Day

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

NPD, and surprisingly, not a fuzz... :oh:

Strymon Volante. I dig. Plugged in without reading the manual and just got lost in it for about half an hour. Super easy to use, seems very well thought out.

Big thanks to Polar Bear for the sweet deal! :congrats:

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: New Pedal Day

Post by KNNZ »

noice one!! so the local Music Planet stores in NZ have them already?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Wow! I've just caught up on it from the Strymon site. Very Nice :thumbup: Seems like the idea is to capture some of the eccentricities of tape echo machines but make them available as determinable options rather than the randomish artifacts they were on the originals.

What does the "drum" option simulate? Is it a Tel-Ray, oil can effect?

Is the "studio" option akin to a digital rack simulation?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Oh and how does that Maestro Phaser sound? Phaser is one of me favourites. What is "Balls" (phaser balls :wtf: )? Any similarities to any other phaser flavour...MXR Phase 90? Ibanez Phase Tone? Ross Phaser?

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

The drum option simulates the Binson Echorec. Echoplex and Echorec are basically all I'm after in terms of delay, so this pedal was totally perfect for me. The Studio option is like a reel-to-reel studio tape thing I believe. Haven't even tried that yet.

The Maestro is straight up the best phaser ever. I had a vintage Small Stone for years and loved it, but the Maestro is off the chart. Balls = depth (regeneration I think). Classy. Not like a Phase 90, it isn't remotely subtle. Kind of like the Small Stone, but more full on. If you ever come across one, I highly recommend you grab it.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

What type of machines are Echoplex and Echorec? Tape delays? I have a couple of valve, Copicats and a RE-501...any similarity there?

Did you get the Maestro in NZ? I've never seen one here before. The closest unit I've seen in that form factor/box style was a weird-shit thing that Chris Knox was pedaling on the fly at one of his gigs. Can't recall exactly what it was except that it wasn't a phaser but it did look the same as yours. Damn you...must...resist...GAS!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

they are magnetic drum so no tape.(edit-i mean the echorec,echoplex is tape) I have an old tape echo as well and its one of my favourite bits of gear.
Last edited by Kris on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Echoplex is the quintessential tape delay.

The Echorec used metal drums for a similar kind of deal. Except it had multiple heads that could be switched on separately for cool patterns - think David Gilmour on things like 'Run Like Hell'.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

And I got the Maestro from the US via Reverb. There was a series of similar looking pedals, including a couple of fuzz units. They were designed by Bob Moog according to legend.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Echoplex is the quintessential tape delay.

The Echorec used metal drums for a similar kind of deal. Except it had multiple heads that could be switched on separately for cool patterns - think David Gilmour on things like 'Run Like Hell'.
I have access to one of those Echoplexes. Trust me, you want the digital copy. A million percent easier to use and more reliable.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:Echoplex is the quintessential tape delay.

I have access to one of those Echoplexes. Trust me, you want the digital copy. A million percent easier to use and more reliable.
Wow! That's so cool! :thumbup: Just to look at and see working but I can well imagine the randomness of operation especially given age. I've never seen a mag. drum echo before...don't know how I've missed it all these years.

Like I mentioned, I've got a couple of valve, WEM Copicats, a Morley/Tel-Ray oil can and a Roland RE 501 Space Echo plus analogue and digital pedal/rack simulators, but I think they all have flaws/idiosyncrasies that limit practical performance use. I think your Strymon pedal is a great update.

On the vibe of magnetic echoes though...I have an old US Navy? wire recorder that records to a wire spool. It might make for another weird/idiosyncratic variation on the theme...but probably better off as an idea rather than a fact :D

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dreamy pedal!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Like I mentioned, I've got a couple of valve, WEM Copicats,
A flute played through a WEM Copicat, accompanied by my acoustic guitar is one of the most sublime sounds I've ever heard. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:NPD, and surprisingly, not a fuzz... :oh:

Strymon Volante. I dig. Plugged in without reading the manual and just got lost in it for about half an hour. Super easy to use, seems very well thought out.

Big thanks to Polar Bear for the sweet deal! :congrats:

Out of keen curiosity, what is the signal flow here? Phaser before or after distortion? Where in the line is the Strymon inserted? Where is the NS-2?

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

clubhouse wrote: Out of keen curiosity, what is the signal flow here? Phaser before or after distortion? Where in the line is the Strymon inserted? Where is the NS-2?
Tuner > boost > fuzz > phaser > noise gate > delay