dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

NAD: Valvestate for the Win!

Post by dayl »

Been looking for simple straight forward practice gear that doesn't cost the earth and (as stated in my wtb post) was reminded of how much I wanted a gig sized valvestate when I was a teen. I was looking for a 2x12 8080 etc but couldn't believe my luck when this thing showed up.

Mid 90's Marshall Valvestate VS100H
20230505_210508.jpg
20230505_210508.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 2843 times
Been jamming on it since Friday and really dig it. It's not the best amp I owned but it just works, and me being distortion guy looking for more of the toit sort of toans, it takes high gain pedals really well.

3 Channels: Clean/OD1/OD2

Clean channel is very clean as you would expect. Not quite the SS sterile that I know but still clean. Fortunately the EQ is good enough to take the edge off.

OD 1 is just a gain and vol setting but is void of either the clean or OD2 eq. Not really usable with the gain past 2 but crunches up nice until then

OD2 I dont know, should I have been surprised that Marshall would put a really good sounding OD on their amp? It sounds very usable and shapes well with the EQ. Also switches to a Distortion channel which sounds a bit thick and scooped for my liking but still good.

Verdict. Best bang for buck I've found in a long time and wknt be beaten anytime soon I'd imagine. I paid $220 for this and am happy enough with I'm happy to pay to give it a good service and freshen up. It's nothing flash, we all know this, but its useable for me and a good vibe to boot.

3 channels and FX loop aside.... we really know Im probably just going to ram the clean channel with distortion. It's a simple and peaceful existence.

Heres to ticking off another "I wish I had the chance to try" item from the list of life...
Last edited by dayl on Sun May 07, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Re: NAD: Valvestate for the Win!

Post by Reg18 »

Awesome find! It was anyways a good gig at my high school when my older brother let me borrow his 80watt Valvestate (think it was a single 12”) good memory’s of these amps!
Big upgrade from my Rage 158!

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 335 times
Been liked: 212 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Reminds me of my first amp (vs230). Which was a lot more basic than your one. Looks like you've got plenty of options there.

Congrats :thumbup:

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Is that the Static X and Chuck Schuldiner amp?

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:12 pm Is that the Static X and Chuck Schuldiner amp?
Yep! Didnt think anyone would care about that part on here.

Chuck used the 8100, this replaced it. Exact same circuit though. Fx loop moved to the back as 8100 had it on the front and a couple other tweaks apparently.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Also J from White Zombie used an 8100 mixed with Randall's and Dual recs. He has one of the best heavy tones of all time imo
Good score man!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Wayne Static and Chuck are 2 players I like for totally different reasons. One really overthought his parts, the other stripped it right back.

There's a video on YouTube where warren Huart does a deep dive into the static x recording of Wisconsin Death Trip with the producer from the album. It's quite cool. That's the VS100 all the way cos tubes couldn't react quick enough (so Wayne said).

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

If I knew more about amps when I had my Valvestate I'm not sure I would have moved it on.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 pm Wayne Static and Chuck are 2 players I like for totally different reasons. One really overthought his parts, the other stripped it right back.

There's a video on YouTube where warren Huart does a deep dive into the static x recording of Wisconsin Death Trip with the producer from the album. It's quite cool. That's the VS100 all the way cos tubes couldn't react quick enough (so Wayne said).
Nice one! the guitars on WDT are tight.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 pm Wayne Static and Chuck are 2 players I like for totally different reasons. One really overthought his parts, the other stripped it right back.

I've always loved Wayne's sound, It's an amazing album

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:41 pm If I knew more about amps when I had my Valvestate I'm not sure I would have moved it on.
You wouldn't have. The band my band in the UK befriended used them, they had crushing tone. We were their default support for any gig, we had a pair of block letter 5150s and didn't show them up.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

good score mate,and killer price!

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

I had a valvestate 2020 for years. My first amp was this truly hideous sounding boss mg 10 that had a distorted sound that sounded like flatulent squirrels. I went to Danny's music world in the Tron to buy a Yamaha budokan instead but a combination of a salesman with a black belt in up-sell and the good old student loan saw me walk out with the valvestate instead.
I was perfectly happy with it until a combination of not realising that it needed a new pre-amp tube plus my first gearfest filled me with GAS and FOMO for a tube amp and led to me flicking it to buy a Blackheart lil giant that also got flicked to fund the Ryan built custom I have today. I don't regret it at all but in hindsight recognise that I could have stuck with the valvestate and it would have still been sweet as for where and how I play.

Cool to see them getting some love
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

They definitely seem worthy. The optimist in me likes to think I've learned a little about the subjective art of good sounding gat over the years, much of which comes from reading through the threads in this place too.

Its definitely a worthy piece of kit. I enjoy distortion etc so it definitely holds it own without question.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

matman wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:04 pm
I was perfectly happy with it until a combination of not realising that it needed a new pre-amp tube plus my first gearfest filled me with GAS and FOMO for a tube amp and led to me flicking it to buy a Blackheart lil giant that also got flicked to fund the Ryan built custom I have today. I don't regret it at all but in hindsight recognise that I could have stuck with the valvestate and it would have still been sweet as for where and how I play.

Cool to see them getting some love
Apart from my VS being an 80 and me not getting a Ryan monster, that's my exact story too, pretty much.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster