Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

NOGD: Unexpected reunion...

Post by The Scarecrow »

New Old Guitar Day!

Bit of potential TL: DR here….

Back in 2003, I was mostly playing my old ’61 RI SG in my main band, but was also doubling on duties in a heavier modern metalcore band which required me to have a second guitar I could downtune. I scoped out a few stores until I found an Ibanez model that was new that year, the AXS32. Very simple double cutaway, which was my preference but incredibly flat fretboard and super comfy neck profile. I was very close to buying one new, but a mate offered me an SG Special for a comparable price and I snagged it, but always slightly regretted my choice. (The SG special was good but not too memorable and didn't last long after the band dispersed a couple of years later.

Around 2008, I ended up seeing one go for sale on TM, which was owned by a local guitarist in a band I was fond of having seen them play a few times (New Way Home for those in the Auckland metal/punk scene). It was also selling for a great price, so I bought it and it became my main guitar gigging guitar from around then until about 2016, which I got a PRS and decided I had too many, so out this went. I didn’t miss it at first, but over the last few years, I recalled how good the neck and fretboard was, and low-key put out feelers to find one. A couple of them came up on TM between 2018 to present but they were always hideously overpriced…. not everyone's taste, but when you play one, most people find them incredibly fast and easily to sound like they’re a much better guitarist than they may be :P

Earlier this week, I went to pick up a guitars case I bought from a seller who’s got a store in Newmarket. Whilst perusing his shop, I noticed he had an AXS32 in stock. When I picked it up to check out, I recognised the worn pickguard with the scratches I had put in it, and the aftermarket V7/V8 pickups which it had that were installed prior to my ownership. Hadn’t seen it in nearly 8 years and it’s randomly for sale in a shop after I sold it on TM around late 2016.

Told the guy it was my old one and showed a few pics of me playing it back in the day. A little negotiating later and I now once again own what’s probably one of the top 3 instruments I’ve ever had and arguably, wrote some of my best songs on. I had huge regrets about selling it and although I don’t believe in signs, it’s nice to have something from my past come home again. My tastes have changed and the pickups are probably way too metal sounding for what I play these days, but this guitar vibes in a way that few have for me.

Here's me around 2013 with the guitar in question, and reunited a decade down the track (it's looking less aged than me, and I can tell the age due to the distinct lack of tats/sleeves :lol: )
Attachments
AXS32then.jpg
AXS32then.jpg (60.95 KiB) Viewed 28169 times
AXS32Now1.jpg
AXS32Now1.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 28169 times
AXS32Now3.jpg
AXS32Now3.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 28169 times
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Re: NOGD: Unexpected reunion...

Post by NippleWrestler »

That's awesome. Well done. Guitars are more than the price tag.

And I can relate, last week I found a guitar of mine (that I built from scratch) for sale in Cash Converters in Panmure and bought it back. They had no idea what they had. The pickups in there are worth more than they were asking.

Anywho. Good job dude. I hope it brings many happy chugs.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I love these stories.

I once tracked down my old Warwick Streamer LX and it was a nice sense of coming home.

Sold it again though - I find that I sell things for a reason and buying back only reinforces why I sold it once the nostalgic hit passes.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

That’s awesome, Reuben.

How come the things I regret selling never turn up again?! Dammit!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Must be something in the air! A few weeks ago I was on a boys weekend away with my old school mates and one of them had sold me the Kramer I had when I first joined this forum. I sold that Kramer to another mate in 2009, and the guy I bought it off was pining for it and wanted it back. So I got in touch with the guy I sold it to and he was looking to thin his herd, so I facilitated the sale back to the original owner, and boy was he stoked.

Great to see you getting that guitar back Reuben!
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Very cool - and I wondered what you looked like having only seen your avatar!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Very cool!!! Hope it plays as well as you remember :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:58 am That's awesome. Well done. Guitars are more than the price tag.

And I can relate, last week I found a guitar of mine (that I built from scratch) for sale in Cash Converters in Panmure and bought it back. They had no idea what they had. The pickups in there are worth more than they were asking.

Anywho. Good job dude. I hope it brings many happy chugs.
Thanks Tez - it's weirdly broken even as I kind paid what I bought it for originally/sold it for within about $100. It's definitely way more aggressive that what my current band requires, but man, it droptunes like a boss. :D

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:36 am That’s awesome, Reuben.

How come the things I regret selling never turn up again?! Dammit!
This is a first for me, so I figured it had to be worth bringing back in the stable.
If only the guy who ended up with my '07 Explorer would part with it....

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

MikeC wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:51 am Very cool - and I wondered what you looked like having only seen your avatar!
hah, in my younger days, I was somewhere between Brandon Lee in the The Crow (hence the avatar), Robert Smith and a disheveled derelict (hence the username - my mate at school told me I looked like a scarecrow as I had op-shop duds, and straw-like Sideshow Bob drealocks mid 90's) but these days, I'm straight on the path to old wizard #gandalf

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:54 am Very cool!!! Hope it plays as well as you remember :-)
The neck profile, for sure. Action is silly (read: buzzing) low but nothing I can't resolve. :winky:

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

TmcB wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:04 am I love these stories.

I once tracked down my old Warwick Streamer LX and it was a nice sense of coming home.

Sold it again though - I find that I sell things for a reason and buying back only reinforces why I sold it once the nostalgic hit passes.
I understand this vibe; if I was still playing in a metal or heavier band, I'd probably be 100% stoked to have this again for sheer use... but it's more novelty charm and a sense of familiarity. It's like that adage of "would you go back to your first girlfriend".... maybe for a little hoon every now and then :lol:

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

Thats awesome bro! Buy a lotto ticket, i mean what are the odds!
Your story gives me hope that maybe one day ill be reunited with my Ash Custom "CK2" LP Jr or maybe even one of the Strat Plus's i retardedly let go of over the years. Enjoy your reunion and let's hear some new riffs :thumbup:
Little by little, by hook or by crook

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Kloppsta wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 am Thats awesome bro! Buy a lotto ticket, i mean what are the odds!
Your story gives me hope that maybe one day ill be reunited with my Ash Custom "CK2" LP Jr or maybe even one of the Strat Plus's i retardedly let go of over the years. Enjoy your reunion and let's hear some new riffs :thumbup:
Thangs Craig! Good to be reunited.

I know that Scott who's got that CK2 still jams with it and probably wouldn't part unless you offered him silly money for it sadly :thumbdown:

I remember that one green-ish Strat+ you had back around '04, that was probably one of the nicest strats I've ever played :D

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

If i win lotto maybe ill make him an offer he cant refuse lol
Yeah that greenish one was fantastic. I suppose sellers remorse is a musos right of passage haha
Little by little, by hook or by crook