Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

The Velcro that’s not Velcro…?

Post by Capt. Black »

Hey team, a while ago I was idly watching a pedal board build video by the Gigrig guys and the beardy Aussie guy was showing stuff he uses to attach pedals.
It’s like big velcro hook tape that still attaches to standard Velcro loop. Only needed a small patch to hold really tight.
3M product?
It’s on the Gigrig store at a silly price but it must be more readily available. I’m wondering anyone can point me at what’s available in local hardware stores?

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Re: The Velcro that’s not Velcro…?

Post by Starfire »

3M Dual Lock? Best/cheapest source I've found for it is here – though only in 500mm pre-cut lengths.
https://photogear.co.nz/shop-by-departm ... ted-strip/

Edit: Doesn't attach to standard velcro, but it's worth replacing all your velcro with this stuff, I think.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

I bought some after Starfire posted that link last time. Oh boy... that's some powerfully gripping stuff!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Thanks Starry. Did you try it on normal Velcro?
In the video I mentioned, they were quite specific it did hold. Wonder if it was a slightly different stuff?
My pedal board is the carpeted with loop type. So not practical to change it out.

Codedog, yeah. Warning: do not cover the whole base of the pedal! :lol:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm Thanks Starry. Did you try it on normal Velcro?
In the video I mentioned, they were quite specific it did hold. Wonder if it was a slightly different stuff?
My pedal board is the carpeted with loop type. So not practical to change it out.

Pretty sure I have something with this stuff at the bottom, connected to a board that has velcro. It works, but not as strong as homogeneous application. I will verify this when I get home tonight.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:23 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm Thanks Starry. Did you try it on normal Velcro?

Pretty sure I have something with this stuff at the bottom, connected to a board that has velcro. It works, but not as strong as homogeneous application. I will verify this when I get home tonight.
Appreciate that. I don't really need tenacious grip. More like less is more and still easily reconfigurable. :)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:38 pm

Appreciate that. I don't really need tenacious grip. More like less is more and still easily reconfigurable. :)
From what I've tried, the finer grades of Dual Lock do hook into loop Velcro ok, but the chunkier grades don't. Neither work as well as Velcro on both sides or Dual Lock on both sides.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:38 pm

This is what I have. The PSU has Dual Lock, ex-robthemac. The pedal board already had loops on the bottom, so I kept it. It sticks just fine upside down under the board. Mind you, I wouldn't go swinging it about!

20240129_173904.jpg
20240129_173904.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 985 times

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Dual lock both sides is the way to go. Use a small square in each corner and lever the pedal up with a screwdriver if needed. Also - the Dual Lock leaves a 5mm gap under pedals, you can easily run power and thin patch cables under pedals to keep things tidy

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:53 pm Dual lock both sides is the way to go. Use a small square in each corner and lever the pedal up with a screwdriver if needed. Also - the Dual Lock leaves a 5mm gap under pedals, you can easily run power and thin patch cables under pedals to keep things tidy
Oh that's a fantastic hint.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:03 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:53 pm Dual lock both sides is the way to go. Use a small square in each corner and lever the pedal up with a screwdriver if needed. Also - the Dual Lock leaves a 5mm gap under pedals, you can easily run power and thin patch cables under pedals to keep things tidy
Oh that's a fantastic hint.
Yup, I definitely didn't realise they create that much gap!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I kept what I already had under the board, and used a hybrid approach, because I didn't want to waste what's already there. If I was starting from scratch, and had higher strength requirements, I would definitely give a pure Dual Lock solution a whirl!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:29 pm
I kept what I already had under the board, and used a hybrid approach, because I didn't want to waste what's already there. If I was starting from scratch, and had higher strength requirements, I would definitely give a pure Dual Lock solution a whirl!
Dual Lock seems expensive. But then you see how strong a 10mm x 10mm square is.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:25 pm
Absolutely! It's not actually that expensive considering how much you need.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:35 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:25 pm

Absolutely! It's not actually that expensive considering how much you need.
The first time I used it I put 5cm strips along two sides of my power supply. The outer layers of the plywood separated before the Dual Lock did.