Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

I usually struggle...

Post by Bg »

writing songs, well the lyrics anyway. I've been struggling with one for a few months that I kept leaving on the back burner. I upped the tempo from very slow to very fast on Friday night and it all fell into place in about 20 mins - its the best song I've ever written, I was so pleased with it I thought it was a gift from dog.

Then the missus wrote the lyrics for one this morning, not on the back of a napkin but it could have been, in about 5 mins and its almost as good (if not better :( ). Bastard!

I'll go back to struggling on my own, don't want to have to pay her royalties :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: I usually struggle...

Post by The Scarecrow »

I've hit a creative flurry the last month or so. Since January started I've managed to write four songs that have all eventuated at practise into near completion. That's a big deal for me me because we've only had three practises since Xmas.

I found going back to basics and writing just simple 4/4 rhythms (an the odd 6/4) in major chords works wonders. Adding in a capo for me changed it up and it always astounds me how very much can come from a song that's essentially three to five chords.

I don't work well with lyrics - at least not for this band. Mine either sound contrived, or trite. I end up humming a vocal melody instead and relay it to our singer, she's a better bed on the lyrical front.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Me too. I have started a few songs, but never finished one. I have lots of ideas, but never have the time to put them together. An absence of any understanding of drums is a bit of a hurdle too.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

BG - Read the title of the thread then saw who started it and figured this'll be good...... knew it would have something to do with the missus. ;)

Scarecrow - I'm the same. It's always good to have another person to write songs with. Not always to write the parts I can't or to say "that's shit" but an outside perspective can help immeasurably.
The Scarecrow wrote:I end up humming a vocal melody instead and relay it to our singer, she's a better bed on the lyrical front.
That's a bit freudian. I thought you had a policy towards female band members. Think of her as a protractor. :lol:

Ash - We don't need to understand drums. We just need to find ways to communicate with drummers. ;)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote:Think of her as a protractor. :lol:
eh?
Capt. Black wrote: Ash - We don't need to understand drums. We just need to find ways to communicate with drummers. ;)
Thats where a healthy collection of loops and midi drum tracks come in very handy ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I hate writing lyrics. I always feel really naked and self-conscious and that. I always wonder how people can actually write love songs. I don't think I'd ever have the courage to do that. Not if I meant it, anyway.

Fortunately, the whole post-rock thing means I don't have to have a singer and I don't have to have lyrics.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yeah, I wonder about that too. There are a few songs around that I know the secret meaning of. Very brave on the part of the writers in my opinion. I would hate to think that my secret matters were out in the public domain to be deciphered by acquaintances.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Capt. Black wrote:BG - Read the title of the thread then saw who started it and figured this'll be good...... knew it would have something to do with the missus. ;)

Scarecrow - I'm the same. It's always good to have another person to write songs with. Not always to write the parts I can't or to say "that's shit" but an outside perspective can help immeasurably.
The Scarecrow wrote:I end up humming a vocal melody instead and relay it to our singer, she's a better bed on the lyrical front.
That's a bit freudian. I thought you had a policy towards female band members. Think of her as a protractor. :lol:

Ash - We don't need to understand drums. We just need to find ways to communicate with drummers. ;)
Cursed d's in the places of t's. :roll:

Ha... Kristie was a protractor. I see Rita more like this.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

The moment anyone pays attention to lyrics they'll either take them at face value or try to decipher hidden meanings from them whether one exists or not.

Depends entirely on the listener and how clever or not they (think they) are.

You can't really fight it in the same way you can't choose your audience. So I reckon have fun with it.

I've written songs where I've had one cool line I liked (actually it was bollocks but it sounded deep) and I simply plugged it into a google search and gathered up a bunch of phrases from a page or two of the resulting summaries. :lol:
Put together to fit the flow of the song and they sound like the deepest angst filled metaphors since the twentieth century. In fact after a few runs through the song you can imagine some actual meanings coming through. ;)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

The Scarecrow wrote: Ha... Kristie was a protractor. I see Rita more like this.

Ahhh yes that's right! Kristie couldn't be a stapler because then she'd have Staples in her. That would just be wrong! :lol: :lol:

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

ash wrote:Yeah, I wonder about that too. There are a few songs around that I know the secret meaning of. Very brave on the part of the writers in my opinion. I would hate to think that my secret matters were out in the public domain to be deciphered by acquaintances.
The acquantances wouldn't be as bad as total stranger, smart-arse music journalists that decide that you are a completely immature twat (or worse) on the basis of a rhyme. That'd be worse because they can publish their opinions.

Or say you wrote yourself a hit about some chick who you either got and broke up with, or who did something completely tasteless like going off with your best mate. And there you are, ten years later, trying to drum up enthusiasm onstage every night for this lyric about a moment you'd much rather forget.

I don't think I'm thick-skinned enough to be a lyricist. :lol:
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I hope you do not mean the NME, Vince.

New Order do not publish lyrics because they not only wish the audience to have their own meaning, but their own lyrics.
the misheard line etc

when I was a kid I thought Bowie was singing the add for Old Spice. ("Young Americans").

as stated by the Cap'n it's out of the writers hands...writing love songs may be about the moment, also a recording of a song is a photograph of that day but I remember it differently.For me if I write a love song it needs to balanced with the other tunes that will make up that disc. An album of love songs seems ridiculous to me and I imagine painful for any listener.

but good for you for getting a tune finished, it's therapeutic.

Brett7777

Post by Brett7777 »

bluesgeek wrote: I thought it was a gift from dog.
dyslexic

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Brett7777

Post by Brett7777 »

Yep lyrics are the hardest part, but the most rewarding and best thing when you get them right. Imagine Steve whathisname from the Sex Pistols without some of those classic lyrics from John Lydon.
Hey BG is this a blues song, I thought they were all just about the toaster stopped workin etc?